58 dynamic 88 auto

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2021, 02:28 PM

58 dynamic 88 auto

Hi there
have been working on the heater and controls on out 58 olds dynamic 88
have removed heater push button controls and striped and cleaned ..now operating correctly. Repaired all cracked and split vacuum hoses , checked all hoses now going to correct ports ( which they wernt )
check and changed engine vacuum supply, checked all vacuum pods with vacuum pump ...all ok and operating correctly. Checked heater switch with multi meter and heater motor with direct power
.ok
My question that I need help on is ::
I have a blower fan on defrost 😊😊 BUT
Not on any other setting ...the book says that I should 🤔🤔 I cannot find any switch that operate the fan from a vacuum supply or any switch that would operate the vacuum from an electrical supply or any connection between the 2 🤯🤯
the pod that operates the fan motor is open on the rh side under the hood ...but there is no power at the switch except in defrost mode 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
phew... that is long winded 🥵🥵
Old August 26th, 2021, 04:27 PM

You have blower running on defrost, is engine running? Vacuum is needed to operate switch under hood. '57 has two speed switch on dash, I think '58 is the same. Should work after all that scrubbing.
Old August 26th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
You have blower running on defrost, is engine running? Vacuum is needed to operate switch under hood. '57 has two speed switch on dash, I think '58 is the same. Should work after all that scrubbing.
Hi
Yes engine running , have vacuum plugged into manifold vacuum not metered ..that does not work at idle ( no vacuum tank) . Rh under hood diaphram pulled in , heater switch has no power to it except on defrost , and there lies the problem 🤔🤔
and yes has 2 speed switch that is working ( multimeter tested )
I am stumped 🤯🤯 what is stopping the power to that fan switch under the hood ??
Old August 26th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Phantom Phixer

Here is a vacuum diagram . If that helps .
Click twice on the diagram to enlarge .

Old August 26th, 2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Here is a vacuum diagram . If that helps .
Click twice on the diagram to enlarge .

thanks for that ...appreciated 👍
I did finally find it under sheet metal on the cd I got when I was sorting stuff ..I have double checked ( even took push botton assemblies out again to double check I had it right ) all vacuum pods and lines are working correctly , the problem lies with no power getting to the switch under the hood except on defrost ....it should go when ever that pod is pulled in I reckon .
in the manual it shows a wiring diagram for the electric switch inside the heater box ...I took vacuum thermostat out and checked all wires are on ..and they were . Its starting to hurt my brain 😊😊😁
Old August 29th, 2021, 09:26 PM

More info

Originally Posted by Brownie12
Hi there
have been working on the heater and controls on out 58 olds dynamic 88
have removed heater push button controls and striped and cleaned ..now operating correctly. Repaired all cracked and split vacuum hoses , checked all hoses now going to correct ports ( which they wernt )
check and changed engine vacuum supply, checked all vacuum pods with vacuum pump ...all ok and operating correctly. Checked heater switch with multi meter and heater motor with direct power
.ok
My question that I need help on is ::
I have a blower fan on defrost 😊😊 BUT
Not on any other setting ...the book says that I should 🤔🤔 I cannot find any switch that operate the fan from a vacuum supply or any switch that would operate the vacuum from an electrical supply or any connection between the 2 🤯🤯
the pod that operates the fan motor is open on the rh side under the hood ...but there is no power at the switch except in defrost mode 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
phew... that is long winded 🥵🥵
Spoiler

Old August 30th, 2021, 03:14 PM
Art S

Have you resolved your problem yet?
Old August 30th, 2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
Have you resolved your problem yet?
No not as yet , was getting the better of me 😊😊😊
have gone onto oil leaks and will go back to it 👍👍
Do you have a suggestion 🤔🤔🤔
Brownie
Old August 30th, 2021, 04:51 PM

If the fan works for the defroster, then you might be missing a tee in the vacuum line for the other modes, or something ? Puzzled,two.
Old August 30th, 2021, 05:07 PM

If the fan works for the defroster, then you might be missing a tee in the vacuum line for the other modes, or something ? Puzzled,two.
The thing that is rattling round in my head is ::
the vacuum pot on rh side under bonnet is pulled in and the switch is operational (checked with multimeter and circuit cmplt &#128077
But there is no power to it ( except on defrost )... so what part of the setup is turning that power off ,as there does not seem to be any connection between power and vacuum
all vacuum lines are plugged and plumbed as per diagram , but really that should not matter as long as the fan pod/switch is pulled in ..
I am hoping that I will wake up at 3.00am one morning with a eureka moment 🤯😁😁
Brownie
Old August 30th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Art S

I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help. From what I read of what you've done it sounds like you have tried everything. Although my Olds is newer the heating system seems to work the same - almost everything is run by vacuum. The only electric involved is the blower hi-low switch, defroster switch, master switch and a resistor. I have no idea where the master switch is located, the only thing I've done to mine is redo all the vacuum lines.
Here's a portion of the wiring diagram for my car perhaps it can help you.

Heater wiring
Old August 30th, 2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help. From what I read of what you've done it sounds like you have tried everything. Although my Olds is newer the heating system seems to work the same - almost everything is run by vacuum. The only electric involved is the blower hi-low switch, defroster switch, master switch and a resistor. I have no idea where the master switch is located, the only thing I've done to mine is redo all the vacuum lines.
Here's a portion of the wiring diagram for my car perhaps it can help you.

Heater wiring
Hey thanks for trying 👍👍 I not good with electrics 🤓🤓
I wonder what that defrost switch up the top is controlled by .
Is there an auto electrician on here that could explain that diagram for a dummy please .....maybe I should repost under a different category 🤔🤔🤔
Old August 30th, 2021, 06:15 PM

The defrost mode has a green wire spliced into the purple? wire to give direct 12V to the blower. Low speed feeds from the green defrost wire through two reistors, to the black wire, to the vacuum switch. An orange wire connects to the purple? wire through the high speed switch, then through one resistor to the black wire, then to the vacuum switch. Your problem seems to be one or both resistors are open circuit for the regular blower.. Or those wires are not connected. One side of the switch at the blower should have a voltage when the key is on, then when vacuum is applied, the switch closes and blower blows. Try that. The image above is not as per '57 & '58 but shows the two resistors. '57 & '58 get 12V direct when defrost is activated. The master switch is the one controlled by vacuum at the blower. The wires in diagram appear purple, the book script says brown. See figure 16-21 in CSM.

Last edited by Yellowstatue; August 30th, 2021 at 06:39 PM. Reason: More stuff!
Old August 31st, 2021, 03:08 AM

The defrost mode has a green wire spliced into the purple? wire to give direct 12V to the blower. Low speed feeds from the green defrost wire through two reistors, to the black wire, to the vacuum switch. An orange wire connects to the purple? wire through the high speed switch, then through one resistor to the black wire, then to the vacuum switch. Your problem seems to be one or both resistors are open circuit for the regular blower.. Or those wires are not connected. One side of the switch at the blower should have a voltage when the key is on, then when vacuum is applied, the switch closes and blower blows. Try that. The image above is not as per '57 & '58 but shows the two resistors. '57 & '58 get 12V direct when defrost is activated. The master switch is the one controlled by vacuum at the blower. The wires in diagram appear purple, the book script says brown. See figure 16-21 in CSM.
thanks for doing that 👍👍😊....will check all that and report back in a couple of days