General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Edelbrock carbs

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2017, 08:18 PM

Edelbrock carbs

I was wondering how you like them?

What are the pros and cons?
Old October 27th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Many have issues with them. The Quickfuel Holley clones and Street Demon Thermoquad clone carbs are more tuneable and have less issues.
Old October 28th, 2017, 04:50 AM

So these will work as a replacement for The Q Jet?
Old October 28th, 2017, 05:32 AM
72 Olds CS

I've run a couple different edlebrocks over the years, no big issues just put em on n go. That said when I replaced the last one w a qjet the engine woke right up
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:33 AM

The Edelbrock carbs are the design from early 60’s Carter AFB. Just made shiny today.
Here are some thoughts, facts, and some opinion tossed in.

Pros,
will sit on almost any engine, start, idle and run.
Mass produced and easy to find and purchase.

Cons
Requires adapter plate if placed on Quadrajet intake
Doesn’t provide best performance without proper calibration changes. Can be dangerously lean at sustained higher rpm.
Typically provides limited performance.

Best replacement for an old Quadrajet? For best fuel economy and performance, get yours properly rebuilt. Or replace with proper Quadrajet for your application.
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:56 AM

I ran an Edelbrock carburetor on my 64 98. It was VERY streetable with perfect idle and good off-idle response. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work properly with the Slim Jim Rotohydramatic transmission. This was due to the POS transmission, not the carb.

Now, I have a Summit 750 cfm carb on my 71 98. It is a clone of a Holley 4010. It has nowhere near the drivability as the Edelbrock. Should have bought an Edelbrock... oh well.
Old October 28th, 2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Quadrajet Power
Best replacement for an old Quadrajet? For best fuel economy and performance, get yours properly rebuilt. Or replace with proper Quadrajet for your application.
Ageed. If you are thinking about the Edelbrock carb because you think an aftermarket carb will make more power than the original carb, you may be disappointed.
Old October 28th, 2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Ageed. If you are thinking about the Edelbrock carb because you think an aftermarket carb will make more power than the original carb, you may be disappointed.
Edelbrock carbs are junk. Not worth the price you pay for them. Owned 2 myself, crap.
Don't have any use for Qjets either, real hard to get a good, flat fuel curve.
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Edelbrock carbs are junk.
What type of carb do you suggest? We know you're big into EFI but surely there is a carb you like Holley, Demon, Quick Fuel, etc.

I guess I should explain that I'm satisfied with my Summit carb but it always seems to need some tinkering.
Old October 29th, 2017, 06:00 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I know Mark and many otbers like the Holley style Quickfuel carbs, very tuneable and no issues out of box. The Street Demon will bolt on either square or spreadbore manifolds. It is a 3 barrel design, heavily borrowing it's design from the Carter Thrrmoquad, the AFB's replacement. Holley made it more user friendly and eliminated some of the design flaws like crappy choke, eliminated main body o rings that fail and a Aerospace polymer main body in place of the bakelite one. Plus works with OD trans and has a TPS option. I had a good Qjet 800 cfm 78 core and sent it to Everday Performance for a custom tune and rebuild. It came out a few bucks cheaper than a new 750 Street Demon and their TV bracket. I think the power piston selection is key in the Qjet's curve. I also like the APT on the Qjet. I added a thread in plug and notched the APT adjuster for a small standard screwdriver, 2 turns either made it burn the tires or gain 3 mpg.
Old October 29th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
What type of carb do you suggest? We know you're big into EFI but surely there is a carb you like Holley, Demon, Quick Fuel, etc.

I guess I should explain that I'm satisfied with my Summit carb but it always seems to need some tinkering. Exactly
Like Christian said, for the money, I believe the QF stuff is the best. Look at the fuel curve on the 374 build I posted last week. This was after 1 jet and 1 air bleed change, done.