General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

window limiter adjustments

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2012, 08:09 PM

window limiter adjustments

Having issues with upper stop on door windows on 70 Cutlass convertible. Have Fisher body manual. Says upper stop is bolt on window itself. OK. Got that. But it doesn't look to me that it contacts anything to limit the window travel. Or that there is anything to adjust to limit it. Doors were disassembled when I bought it. Maybe missing parts? Any help would be appreciated. Back windows were easy. Just can't figure out these darn fronts. Thanks.
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:59 PM

One if not both of the door glass upper stops....

>Do bolt to the glass (a plate that's attached to the glass at the bottom).

>These "stops" are pointed at the top (at least the rear stop is pointed)....sort of a black rubber dipped stamped metal pointed deal.

>These stops go up into a square hole cut into the upper door shell until the sides of the points contact the edges of these square holes.

I'll try to dig up a sample for a pic if you need it......was doing the same thing this last Saturday on a '70 Olds.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM

Exclamation

One if not both of the door glass upper stops....

>Do bolt to the glass (a plate that's attached to the glass at the bottom).

>These "stops" are pointed at the top (at least the rear stop is pointed)....sort of a black rubber dipped stamped metal pointed deal.

>These stops go up into a square hole cut into the upper door shell until the sides of the points contact the edges of these square holes.

I'll try to dig up a sample for a pic if you need it......was doing the same thing this last Saturday on a '70 Olds.

CORRECTION: The front stop isn't pointed...just rounded at the top and no square hole for it either....just bumps into the door shell underside. Pic attached of both
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3881.JPG (91.1 KB, 22 views)
Old February 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Thumbs up stop adjustment

Patton,
That is perfect. Started this project in 05 and was torn apart when I bought it. Had bags of stuff in boxes. Only had 1 back window stop, and it is specific to the convertible, so was having trouble finding it. Time goes on, and you hardly have windows up on a vert unless you're washing it. Needless to say, hadn't gotten it done until I found one last week. Your pictures reminded me I did have a bag of parts to look through. I have all those parts in a bag, ready to go back on after all these years. Thanks for all your help, I don't know what I'd do without all you guys to bounce things off of.
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by kips70cutty
Patton,
That is perfect. Started this project in 05 and was torn apart when I bought it. Had bags of stuff in boxes. Only had 1 back window stop, and it is specific to the convertible, so was having trouble finding it. Time goes on, and you hardly have windows up on a vert unless you're washing it. Needless to say, hadn't gotten it done until I found one last week. Your pictures reminded me I did have a bag of parts to look through. I have all those parts in a bag, ready to go back on after all these years. Thanks for all your help, I don't know what I'd do without all you guys to bounce things off of.
They are the cats pajamas aren't they!
AL
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM

Don't worry - someone else had them left over, too...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post370172
There is a picture I posted below of where the pointed ones go.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Don't worry - someone else had them left over, too...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post370172
There is a picture I posted below of where the pointed ones go.
I would be he, but Rob got me back on track lol