Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Reinstalling door glass

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Gary

Reinstalling door glass

I am attempting to put back the door window glass in my 72 442. I removed the glass when I was doing body work on the doors when I removed them. I am now trying to put the front drivers side glass back in and now I am having a problem with the glass not crank not wanting to go all the way down because it appears that the lever(rod) that goes from the door handle to the door latch is in the way and wont allow the glass to go all the way down in the door. Unless I have that lever rod on backwards something is wrong. The passage side appears to be the same way, I did replace the door latches on both sides. I looked in my assembly manual and I could not find the door glass in the manual I have. Here are a couple of pictures of the assembly in the door with the rod under it. Anyone has a picture of the inside door assembly?

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; February 10th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Me thinks the release rod is backwards...
Instead of that section turning in towards the window post, it should go out into the formed pocket stamped in the door sheet metal. The theory is for it to bend away from the window mount.
Is it possible you got the L and R swapped?

I looked int he body manual and no good info there - not even a diagram of this style door!
I have some pics somewhere but would need to dig for em.
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gary

Talking

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Me thinks the release rod is backwards...
Instead of that section turning in towards the window post, it should go out into the formed pocket stamped in the door sheet metal. The theory is for it to bend away from the window mount.
Is it possible you got the L and R swapped?

I looked int he body manual and no good info there - not even a diagram of this style door!
I have some pics somewhere but would need to dig for em.
I am leaning towards the rod being backwards as well, however when I look at passenger door it is the same. I did completely remove all of the hardware when when I took the glass out on the drivers side but I did not remove any of the hardware when I removed the glass on the passengers side, I just loosened everything to get the glass out of it. I think what I will do in the morning will be to reverse the rod on the passangers side since I have not attempted to put the glass in it yet and see what that gets me. My assembly manual has been a tremendous help on this restoration but the door glass is not in there. I pulled that glass out 4 yrs ago and the memory just is not what it use to be.:
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It should be the mirror image of what's in your passenger door. That means you have a template (of sorts) to work from
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM

The assy manual just shows the stuff to be put togeter on the Oldmobile line. The doors and trunk, etc were installed and assembled at the Fisher plant. I WISH there was a Fisher assy manual!

Okay, you do have those reversed L to R or backwards. I found this picture in my collection, looking into the left door:

I am glad I take SOOO many pictures when working on stuff!

The good part is you do not have to take the whole thing apart to replace 'em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0083.jpg (49.4 KB, 98 views)
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Gary

Thanks Rob, I am getting ready to go out it the garage and reverse them.
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Gary

The assy manual just shows the stuff to be put togeter on the Oldmobile line. The doors and trunk, etc were installed and assembled at the Fisher plant. I WISH there was a Fisher assy manual!

Okay, you do have those reversed L to R or backwards. I found this picture in my collection, looking into the left door:

I am glad I take SOOO many pictures when working on stuff!

The good part is you do not have to take the whole thing apart to replace 'em.
Rob here is a site that shows to sell the Fisher body Manual. I plan on ordering one.
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/fiboma.html

Gary
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by gh5168
Rob here is a site that shows to sell the Fisher body Manual. I plan on ordering one.
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/fiboma.html

Gary
I have that book, but it is not too useful. I wished they had an actual assy manual that the Fisher guys used in assembling the body, you know, piece by piece.
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Gary

thanks for letting me know, I guess I wont be buying it after all. I have the assembly manual, I guess that will have to do for now.
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gary, I believe Rob has a copy of the Fisher manual. I have to agree with him that there's not a lot of 'great' info in it. The section that deals with this is 7 (rear quarter) shows how the regulators go in, but not much detail on the rods.

I have 2 copies of the Fisher Body Manual. one is an original hardcover edition *bought from the library* and a softcover repro (faxon autoliterature) If you want to buy the softcover one, I'll sell it for $20.00 + shipping. It has a couple minor wrinkles on the right front lower corner - arrived that way from 'expert' Post office handling. Other than that, it's mint.

Although the quality of any repro car manual is decent, no matter which one you buy, it will never pics as clear as the original.

EDIT: Appears you both posted while I was getting my books together and comparing them. Gary, it does have some good stuff in it, just not what everyone thinks.

Last edited by Allan R; February 11th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM

I had a hell of a time with my drivers glass when I re-installed it. I tried to slide it in many different ways to clear things and finally after maybe 30 minutes, it just went in! Pain in the butt. It sure did come out easy though the year before. I didn't take notes.
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ziff396
I had a hell of a time with my drivers glass when I re-installed it. I tried to slide it in many different ways to clear things and finally after maybe 30 minutes, it just went in! Pain in the butt. It sure did come out easy though the year before. I didn't take notes.
I've learned that not only do you take notes, you take LOTS of pics. Check the images for clarity before you go any further though. Glass is always a PITA because of the tight areas you have to work with. Us people with 'fat fingers' and big wrists are most vulnerable to cursing I think....

Have to do all my side glass and rear window. (bought new tinted all the way around and am installing OEM PW.) Now I'm going to have to take the doors off to drill the boot holes.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Gary

Allan and Ziff you are both correct about that glass. I did not find it that easy putting it back together at all. Its a 2 man job IMO.I did do one side today, the drivers side both front and back, and yes that rod was backwards. I took pictures of a lot of things when I disassemble them but did not think about the window glass.Good lesson to learn about taking pictures on just about everything because it looks like everything is not in the manuals. I am also going to have to remove the drip rail stripping because when I tried shutting the door the molding did not want to compress enough to allow the front glass to go in the channel. The weather stripping is newn but I am not sure if its Metro or not I did not keep the packaging. I ended up buying Metro door stripping because the other new stripping I had would not allow the door to close. Thanks for the offer on the manual also Allan but I dont need that one. I do have an assembly manual and also a repair manual.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; February 11th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM

It took a month for my doors to close easily after my Metro seals were installed. After then it was fine.
Allow the door and window to stay closed a while before trying to adjust the glass.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Gary

It took a month for my doors to close easily after my Metro seals were installed. After then it was fine.
Allow the door and window to stay closed a while before trying to adjust the glass.
Rob, do you have any more pictures of the inside the door? I have 2 pieces left over and cant figure where they go. with the rubber on the ends, I would think the are up against the glass at some point.

Old February 12th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by gh5168
Rob, do you have any more pictures of the inside the door? I have 2 pieces left over and cant figure where they go. with the rubber on the ends, I would think the are up against the glass at some point.
Save 'em for the next car. We all know you are supposed to have pieces left over after a big job!

Those are your window up-stops. They mount to the lower glass rail and are adjusted to limit the up travel after it seats in the hole in the door.
The pointy one goes to the back of the door. The other is towards the front but does not seat into a hole. It cannot be seen in this picture but you should find its location...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PWconv-cplt_0137.jpg (69.0 KB, 60 views)
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Gary

thanks again Rob