General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Who knows of a good place to get Bumpers rechromed

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2012, 04:57 AM

Who knows of a good place to get Bumpers rechromed

As the heading says. I am looking for a place to get my bumpers redone. Prefer on the western half of the country. Who has had good and also bad luck (to avoid the bad ones) Thanks
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM

I've heard that Ogden Chrome is the place to use. I have not, but plan to send them a bumper when I get going on my project.

http://www.ogdenchrome.com
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:02 AM

Ogden did a great job for me. They have the templates for the bumpers so they are straightened to factory specs and do a great job with the chrome and shipping.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM

They don't have the most sophisticated website on earth, but the prior owner of my wagon had the front bumper rechromed by Bumperboyz, and it looks gorgeous.

http://www.bumperboyz.com/main.htm

The bumper was still in the wrapping when I bought the car as the prior owner had taken ill and eventually died before ever getting a chance to put it back on. (I bought the car from his family.)

Here's a photo of the car with the bumper freshly reattached. You tell me how it looks.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM

TriCity Plating in Tennesee.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM

He's looking for western U.S.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM

I wound go with Tri-City. Bumper Boyz are a no-no.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll also go thumbs down on Bumper Boyz and also on Nu Chrome, although the latter isn't in the west. After two tries they still did very poor work on the parts for my 66.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM

I hate to tromp on someones recommendation,,,but,,,I strongly recommend NOT doing business with the Bummer Boyz (yes I mis-spelled it on purose). I had terrible treatment from them, and they are not capable of doing quality work. Long story but you will be sorry, sooner or later, if you use Bummer Boyz.
Tri City in TN is good, honest people who do work for people all over the world. I hear mostly good about Ogden but some not so good. I've also used North Star in Brainard MN, pretty good and easy to deal with. Jons Custom Chrome Plating in northern Ohio is very good and you will pay for it there.
No Bummer Boyz
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
Whats the joint in Colorado, is that Ogden, or Advanced Plating? I'm thinking of the one who issues a Fed-Ex call tag for your bumper or box of trim, and it is returned to you on completion well packed. Not intended to be #! national event perfect in every respect show chrome (like Custom Chrome $$$$$ and endless months wait), but certainly as good as new GM of the day. No they don't send them to Mexico or Colombia although that is becoming more common. You pay in advance after evaluation and estimate, quick turnaround. I've seen the work, it's plenty good enough, lifetime no peel warranty. CW
Ogden Chrome, Ogden, Utah. Very helpful, outstanding custormer service. They will even evaluate your job for free!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM

OK, I apologize, my bumper is obviously ****. I would never use Bumperboyz again!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
OK, I apologize, my bumper is obviously ****. I would never use Bumperboyz again!
I'm glad yours worked out, but I know too many people who have had parts from Bumper Boyz where the chrome started peeling or there were other problems. The fact that three independent people here have the same experience should tell you something.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The fact that three independent people here have the same experience should tell you something.
And the fact that I'm holding in my HAND a perfectly good bumper rechromed by bumperboyz shouldn't tell me something, too?
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
Randy C.

I got my bumpers done at Art Brass in Seattle and they did a great job.

Randy C.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM

Its pretty much common knowledge that Bumper Boyz sucks.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=260199
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM

And the fact that I'm holding in my HAND a perfectly good bumper rechromed by bumperboyz shouldn't tell me something, too?
Holding it in only one hand???
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:32 PM

I have a friend who lives in San Francisco and he bought his 71 Cutlass front and rear bumpers to Bumper Boyz to be rechromed. Within less than 2 yrs the chrome starts to peel off. Bumper Boyz offers a 2 yr warranty and they didnt honor my friends warranty. They said "That's your problem" and hung up the phone on him.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:11 PM

My bumpers were rechromed by bumperboyz in 2004. Still looking good 8 years later.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM

Tri-City Plating does a great job. Got a rear bumper from bumperboyz and the front done by Tri-City. The front looks better than the rear.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 68vaolds
Tri-City Plating does a great job. ...
I've heard good things about Tri-City... and Advance Plating in Nashville,TN. In fact, I heard that both now have the same owner (but can't vouch for that)

I ended up using LKQ/Keystone for 3 bumpers as I knew they bought NorthStar. It took them a few tries to get them all right, but the end results were good & price was excellent. And, I just dropped the cores off at a local LKQ office (they're everywhere in the USA) and they rode the LKQ truck to/from the plater.

More info in this thread...
Old April 18th, 2014, 02:56 PM

Bumper Boyz

Hi, is your bumper still holding up well? I have a 67 Olds Cutlass Supreme here in central Florida, but I have a friend who got a set of bumpers from Bumper Boyz, and after 6 months the chrome stated peeling on both of them? I'm shopping around trying to get good bumpers for a decent price, but not much to choose from in Florida, Spacecoast plating will blow you off the map with their prices! lol
Old April 18th, 2014, 03:40 PM

Ogden Chrome does a great job, have had bumpers for 2 different cars done by them. I had a 62 Ford Futura that the bumpers where all bent to hell and they came back looking like brand new.
If you use Ogden see if any on the body shops in your area are one of there dealers. Here in Boise they run a delivery truck back and forth so there is no shipping, don't know how far there delivery trucks reach by it's worth checking.
Old April 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
Ogden Chrome does a great job, have had bumpers for 2 different cars done by them. I had a 62 Ford Futura that the bumpers where all bent to hell and they came back looking like brand new.
If you use Ogden see if any on the body shops in your area are one of there dealers. Here in Boise they run a delivery truck back and forth so there is no shipping, don't know how far there delivery trucks reach by it's worth checking.
Thanks, I'll check them out, shipping may be a little pricey! Lol
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:53 PM

I'm ready to have mine done and left an e-mail with Tri-City since they are highly recommended. I checked out Ogden's web-site and appreciate that they offer a Good, Better, and Best type of program with varying detail. I'm looking for good and my bumpers don't need much straightening and I'd like them done since I'm not too far from fresh paint, hopefully in the next couple of months. Thanks for the thread and recommendations! - Steven
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by fivo2fst4u
Hi, is your bumper still holding up well?
See for yourself. Here's the front bumper on the car. Rechromed in about 1999 and, 15 years later, still looking like it was done yesterday.

Old April 18th, 2014, 07:51 PM

I got mine from Desert Dog. Although the chrome looks good it is not straight and vexs me to this day. Just watching their TV show should be all you need to stay away from them.

I am vexed!
Old April 18th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Definitely looks good, I just got scared off by my buddie's bumpers he got from them
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:35 PM

One was enough for me. It started turning orange the first time I washed it on the car.Within two years,it was getting gray spots,and the chrome was beginning to peel. Typical swap meet job. It looks great when you get it,then goes to junk when it's all said & done.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM

North Texas Chrome in Gainesville, TX. Been in his shop and seen the work first hand. Also had a bunch of motorcycle stuff done by him.
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:22 PM

See for yourself. Here's the front bumper on the car. Rechromed in about 1999 and, 15 years later, still looking like it was done yesterday.

Wait a minute, this looks like a picture from the mid-seventies, that bumper and front end are clearly mid-seventies.(lol) Your bumper looks fine though.
Old November 3rd, 2022, 07:01 PM

1966 Dodge Charger Bumper/Bumper Boyz Wrecked my Bumper!

I am still upset after having my Bumper reworked and Chromed at Bumper Boyz they destroyed a perfect Bumper! It was ground down so much another Chrome Company said the only way to fix it would be to add plates to the Back side of the bumper! Never use Bumper Boyz!!!!!!!!!! Now I need a 1966 Charger rear Bumper?
Old November 4th, 2022, 04:17 AM

I know this is an old thread. Suprising I didn't reply years ago. In case someone digs this up in the future...

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
I ended up using LKQ/Keystone for 3 bumpers as I knew they bought NorthStar.
I used LKQ about 8 years ago to re-chromed the bumpers on my 71 98. They did a poor job. Now I'm considering having the bumpers wrapped or powder coated locally. It'll probably look better than any chroming I can have done since I'm not restoring my 71 for the Concours d' Elegance.

Originally Posted by My66charger
I am still upset after having my Bumper reworked and Chromed at Bumper Boyz they destroyed a perfect Bumper! It was ground down so much another Chrome Company said the only way to fix it would be to add plates to the Back side of the bumper! Never use Bumper Boyz!!!!!!!!!! Now I need a 1966 Charger rear Bumper?
That's a bummer you had such a bad experience. Hopefully you can find that MOPAR bumper. Have you considered having the bumper wrapped or powder coated?
Old November 4th, 2022, 07:11 AM
Oldsdruid

Having a bumper (that is SUPPOSED to be chrome plated) wrapped or powder coated ranks right up there with people who PAINT bumpers to avoid expense of doing the job properly. Rallye 350 notwithstanding it will ALWAYS look half-assed. JMO.

Tri-City has always done good work for me. There was a plater in Richmond VA I used a couple times but can't remember the name or if they're still in business. It was owned by a member of the Old Dominion Packard Club.

Thanks to EPA good platers are hard to find and you will pay accordingly for their services.

Bumper Boyz did good work many years ago. Rumour is, after EPA put so many restrictions on the chemicals involved, they moved the plating work offshore and that's when the discoloration, peeling etc started. Plus at that time good straight desert chrome cores were plentiful. This was early 90s.