General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Question A very confusing Crankshaft???

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2023, 06:06 PM

Question Question A very confusing Crankshaft???

I have had casting number 393654 stored in my garage for over thirty years. I always assumed it was a 350 Nodular Crankshaft because it has a VERY LARGE "N" on it. After coming to your site, I am more confused than ever. On your ID Page you list my crankshaft as "plain iron", and say it doesn't have an N on it. Under #3, you describe a Nodular Crank: Nodular 350 crank. Notch on back drive flange is "L" or "check mark" shaped like other forged cranks. One leg much longer than the other, one corner, one leg nearly 90' to the OD, other approaches at a gentle angle. Check the casting parting line: wide means forged, narrow means cast. While not forged, this is a very good cast crank. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME "IF" I have a Nodular Crank,,,,,,,,,or not!! The pictures listed on your website addy below are not my pictures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but look exactly like mine, and evidently the poster also thinks this is a Nodular Crank. Thank you very much for any info, and explanation you can give me!
Don

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...kshaft-125398/
Old March 9th, 2023, 06:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

This is just one of the many errors in the Oldsmobile FAQs page. Don't lose any sleep over it. If there's an "N", it's a nodular crank. There's no fuzz on that.
Old March 10th, 2023, 06:16 AM

Thank you, glad to hear that!