N cranks,warped?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM

N cranks,warped?

Hey guys,I read somwhere,not to leave a crank laying on the floor.That it would warp,is that even possible?If it is ,can they be fixed?This engine i bought out of storage is making me paranoid.Thanks for input,advice,later,BO
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by BosMobile
Hey guys,I read somwhere,not to leave a crank laying on the floor.That it would warp,is that even possible?If it is ,can they be fixed?This engine i bought out of storage is making me paranoid.Thanks for input,advice,later,BO
Yep heard that too, dont know what to think and I have my doubts but the "experts" say its true. I have no experience either way. Perhaps people find laying down cranks that fell over while stored standing vertical and then find them bent and assume it was just from laying? I would have any crank checked before machining or installing.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM

Have the shop check the crank for being "bent" and also check the thrust surfaces. They can warp out of square.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Have the shop check the crank for being "bent" and also check the thrust surfaces. They can warp out of square.
The latter issue is most likely to happen with a crank just laying horizontally on a hard surface. Usually won't occur if the crank is "cradled" in a wooden fixture or crate. Still a good idea to have a crank checked before use even if it has been properly stored.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Registered car nut

I'm in the same boat. So I'll have mine checked out too. not wanting to change your thread topic but while the crank is getting checked should the oil holes get champhered ?
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM

Hey guys ,thanks,couldnt get back been busy today.So they can be fixed or no?I sure hope so,i'm getting worried.I need to put this thing together,that seems the only ''safe'' way to store one.Thanks,BO