General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Oldsmobile Manuals??

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Oldsmobile Manuals??

Does anybody know of a good manual that I can use that will give me torque specs for my '65 Olds 425?

Thanks
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

The 1965 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual should have them.

Register at Wild About Cars then go to the downloads section and they have the manual online in .pdf form.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/index.html
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The 1965 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual should have them.

Register at Wild About Cars then go to the downloads section and they have the manual online in .pdf form.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/index.html
I have the chassis service manual, I was just wondering if there was a Haynes type manual out there for it.

Thanks
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 65Delta88
Does anybody know of a good manual that I can use that will give me torque specs for my '65 Olds 425?

Thanks
There are lots of original Olds shop manuals on EBAY, I bought both a chassis manual and a body manual foor my 65 and have less than $40 in the pair. They are very good manuals.
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Oldsdruid

I have the chassis service manual, I was just wondering if there was a Haynes type manual out there for it.

Thanks

Why in the name of Ransom E Olds would you want a Haynes manual for something like that? You got the factory issued CSM, you got the authority on what it's supposed to be.

But if you insist on aftermarket, you'll need to find a 60s Chilton or Motor's manual that covers 1965 Oldsmobile.
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:14 PM
*ssholes Garage

Torque specs for '65 Olds 425

Thanks
for future reference- from 64-71 chiltons

head bolts- 60-80 ft.lbs.

rod bearing bolts- 38-48 ft.lbs.

main bearing bolts- no.1 thru 4- 80-120 ft.lbs. no. 5- 120-160 ft.lbs.

crank shaft balancer bolt- 100 ft.lbs

flywheel to crankshaft bolts-85-95 ft.lbs.

intake manifold- 28 ft.lbs.

exhaust manifold- 22 ft.lbs.

Last edited by Seriousfun; April 6th, 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: reference update
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Why in the name of Ransom E Olds would you want a Haynes manual for something like that? You got the factory issued CSM, you got the authority on what it's supposed to be.
+1

In my book, this qualifies as a nonsensical statement, kind of like "If I fill the bathtub with dry ice and let it melt, can I take a bath without getting wet?"

If you've already go the right manual, why on earth would you be looking for second hand information from the wrong manual?

I've got a shelf full of old Chilton's and Motor manuals (and just picked up a '67 Glenn's manual for $2 yesterday), which I keep for "emergency" use, so that in case I run across a car for sale that I never considered buying (things happen... ), I can get it going while I search for a factory manual, but I would NEVER consider using them as a primary information source because they're crap.

Please explain.

- Eric
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Haynes/Chilton/Motors/etc are all simply dumbed-down versions of the factory Chassis Service Manual. That's the only one you need. It covers everything in the lesser books plus much, much more.
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by MDchanic
+1

In my book, this qualifies as a nonsensical statement, kind of like "If I fill the bathtub with dry ice and let it melt, can I take a bath without getting wet?"

If you've already go the right manual, why on earth would you be looking for second hand information from the wrong manual?

I've got a shelf full of old Chilton's and Motor manuals (and just picked up a '67 Glenn's manual for $2 yesterday), which I keep for "emergency" use, so that in case I run across a car for sale that I never considered buying (things happen... ), I can get it going while I search for a factory manual, but I would NEVER consider using them as a primary information source because they're crap.

Please explain.

- Eric
Yeah, but they has purtier pictures!
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:57 AM

Where is the best and cheapest pl;ace to get owner and repair manuals which are specific for my 67 cutlass supreme holiday coupe? googel brings up too many scams and false info
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, as Jersey Bob told you today at 1:56, and Kurt repeated at 2:20, you could just go download them for free from WildAboutCars.

Personally, I like to have a print manual as well. I find that eBay is often your best bet, especially if you wait for the right on to come up.
I paid $8 for my '73 manual, including shipping.

- Eric
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well, as Jersey Bob told you today at 1:56, and Kurt repeated at 2:20, you could just go download them for free from WildAboutCars.

Personally, I like to have a print manual as well. I find that eBay is often your best bet, especially if you wait for the right on to come up.
I paid $8 for my '73 manual, including shipping.

- Eric
you left out the best part Eric .....

If you access the WAC manuals you can print off JUST THE PAGE/S you want instead of hauling around a big bulky book. I on the other hand haul around my 72 CSM and AM in the garage because I like too, and it gives the pages that nice 'greasy oily' smell that can't be duplicated by a puter!
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
... and it gives the pages that nice 'greasy oily' smell that can't be duplicated by a puter!
I dunno - my computer is pretty greasy and oily...

- Eric
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I dunno - my computer is pretty greasy and oily...

- Eric
Gonna have to start calling you "Slick"
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:34 PM

If I have a factory manual, that's where I go. My 65 factory manual is similar to the Chiltons , but doesn't give a range for mains(1 to 4, 80, #5 120). The big difference I see is 50 for harmonic balancer, not 100. 50 seemed low, but I gave it a little more for good measure. Head bolts says 80.
Personally, I always trusted Motors brand over Chiltons. Followed a wire diagram from chiltons once and fried some wires, found other mistakes as well.
Haynes manuals(IMHO), SUCKS.
Got mine on disc from DAVEGRAHAMAUTOLITERATURE.COM Real handy and quick to access once it is downloaded.
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by m371961
The big difference I see is 50 for harmonic balancer, not 100. 50 seemed low, but I gave it a little more for good measure. Head bolts says 80.
There are apparently some early engines with a smaller crank bolt, they made it bigger sometime in '65 after the manuals had been printed and changed it in the '66 manual.

So, if it's the small one, it's the lower torque, all the others, it's the monster torque.

- Eric
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:24 AM

Hmm, interesting. Wonder what sizes the bolts are? Mine was 1/2. I would guess the dampners are different also.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:00 PM
Just the facts...

updating an old thread...
WAC now charges for access to these manuals... (BOOOOO)
WAC WAS a good resource, but i aint payin for the little amount i use it, so long WAC

bill
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Old news flash.....

Bill??
WAC no longer exists. It's now the AHPS (Automotive Historical Preservation Society). If you want to read about it - here you go, [What happened to Wild About Cars?] the thread was started back a few months ago. Since then there's been no active participation I can see from any of the folks who used to flog WAC on this site.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Since then there's been no active participation I can see from any of the folks who used to flog WAC on this site.
You will admit, though, that the reception was fairly hostile.

- Eric
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You will admit, though, that the reception was fairly hostile.- Eric
Reaaalllly, guess why? After all the years we saw this flogged at us:
Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and a home page for you online with your own garage where you can show off what you have.
Free to join, free to learn.
Duhhh, give yer head a shake Eric. Of course it's going to be frosty after Bob and Kurt used that byline and belittled a lot of us for NOT promoting their brand like they do. We've been through this wringer soooo many times, what's the point you're trying to make here?
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... what's the point you're trying to make here?
I think you've just made it.

- Eric
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:58 AM
Just the facts...

i have been away for a long time, sorry to stir-up a hornet's nest.

bill