General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

now i'm screwed. broken bolts

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2020, 02:56 AM

now i'm screwed. broken bolts

I need some advice on the best way to remove broken bolts that attach water pump to front cover of my 64 olds 88....394 please.
I purchased car in summer with a bad water pump and i think i know why it was not replaced. the 3/8" bolts that hold pump to block even gave me trouble but did not snap .
any help with tricks or suggestions would be appreciated. I do have a little stud left to grab on some
Old October 31st, 2020, 04:19 AM

Well that water pump housing is a separate piece so it can be replaced. It can be removed to work on getting those broken bolts out. If there is something to grab use heat and try your best but most likely you will need to drill the broken bolts out and retap new threads.
Old October 31st, 2020, 05:32 AM

If there is enough stud left to maybe get a 3/8 nut on a bit then weld the inside of nut to stud and remove?
Old October 31st, 2020, 06:20 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Why don't you post a picture of the stud you have left. A couple of options might be welding a bolt onto the remaining stud or using a stud extractor if there is enough stud to grab. If you haven't already you should start soaking it with PB Blaster. The stuff works wonders.
Old October 31st, 2020, 07:38 AM

X2 on PB Blaster or KROIL. Warm the bolt, tap on it with a hammer, soak it, let it cool and repeat a few times. WD-40 would not be my choice for this.

Good luck!!!
Old October 31st, 2020, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
X2 on PB Blaster or KROIL. Warm the bolt, tap on it with a hammer, soak it, let it cool and repeat a few times. WD-40 would not be my choice for this.

Good luck!!!
thanks everyone.
I did soak with BP for 2 days. when i finally got pump off after snapping 4 bolts i switched to Kroil...that stuff is my go to penetrant.
Also tried heat a hammer and more soaking for a few hours and still broke off even. i guess drill and extractor my next attempt
Old October 31st, 2020, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Well that water pump housing is a separate piece so it can be replaced. It can be removed to work on getting those broken bolts out. If there is something to grab use heat and try your best but most likely you will need to drill the broken bolts out and retap new threads.
That front cover is the timing chain cover i believe. I read horror stories about trying to get that front rubber seal in with oil pan still on
Old October 31st, 2020, 06:27 PM

you can still weld a nut onto the old stud,even if it broke off flush,use slightly larger nut and mig welder,the heat from welding the nut will get it loose.
Old November 1st, 2020, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
you can still weld a nut onto the old stud,even if it broke off flush,use slightly larger nut and mig welder,the heat from welding the nut will get it loose.
That's a great excuse to get a Mig welder. I was already contemplating one and you just reinforced my need to own one
Old November 2nd, 2020, 05:09 PM

every body needs a mig,handy for everything. get a non flux core. i never saw one till i hire into gm,they stuck one in my hand and told me to go at it, by the end of day 2,i was welding sheet metal door skin to window frames

Last edited by oldolds88; November 2nd, 2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2020, 05:37 PM

When I was still working I rebuilt Turbines and generators in Power Plants. I can't tell you how many hours I spent working at getting out Bolts that were like welded in from many years of extreme heat. If you drill your broken bolts or weld a nut on and you try to loosen them up. Never continue only in one direction go back and forth, even at the start if it does not move try turning the other way a tiny bit then back the other way. You need to break the scale loose and when it does start to come out turn it back like you are taping a hole. It can be a long process but it works. Good luck
Old November 2nd, 2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Guy Fillinger
When I was still working I rebuilt Turbines and generators in Power Plants. I can't tell you how many hours I spent working at getting out Bolts that were like welded in from many years of extreme heat. If you drill your broken bolts or weld a nut on and you try to loosen them up. Never continue only in one direction go back and forth, even at the start if it does not move try turning the other way a tiny bit then back the other way. You need to break the scale loose and when it does start to come out turn it back like you are taping a hole. It can be a long process but it works. Good luck
X 2 It does work !!!!
Old November 3rd, 2020, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Guy Fillinger
Using that technigue I was able to remove 1 successfully then broke next 1 flush and came here for help.I learned those tricks year ago.
thanks for all the tips but 56 year old bolts around water ports and exhaust are not easy to deal with...especially since I haven't wrenched on old cars in quite some time