General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

which manual?

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2015, 07:38 PM

which manual?

Ok, gonna place an order today and break down and get a manual. If I was only getting one which one would you get and why? Chassis service manual or factory assembly line manual. Thanks all. Gil....
Old January 31st, 2015, 07:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Chassis Service Manual. Hands down.

Get an original paper copy, not some crappy xeroxed "reproduction."

- Eric
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:02 PM

Thanks Eric. I was looking at OPGI, good or crappy?
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Crappy.

What year and model car do you have?

- Eric
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:18 PM

1968 Cutlass.
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There's an original one on eBay now for $30 shipped - a bit beat up, but still very usable.

Prices vary with year - I got the one for my '73 for $8 shipped a few years ago.

If you wait and watch, something better will probably come up.

What does OPGI get for a copy?

- Eric
Old February 1st, 2015, 05:40 AM

It depends on what work you are doing. A CSM is a must for mechanicals and covers most electrics. The Fisher body manual has window adjustment info, power window electrical, weatherstrip and body adjustments. At least that is for 1965 manuals. I bought the manuals on disc. The hard original paper ones are the best, but I have gotten by and like being able to print what I want and carry it to the garage, and being able to enlarge some drawings and schematics is handy. I also was able to enlarge the wiring diagram and print on 3 pages of card stock when I went through the wiring.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:04 AM

I was wondering about the disc. They must be pretty clear if you can enlarge them but sometimes you just need a book while the wife is watching CSI.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For a one-time "library card" fee of $10, you can join the Automotive History Preservation Society and download all you want.

- Eric
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
For a one-time "library card" fee of $10, you can join the Automotive History Preservation Society and download all you want.

- Eric
I'm not knocking AHPS or any other digital service, but understand that there were no original electronic versions of manuals from this vintage car. Any electronic or CD version out there is a scan of an original paper copy. Scans will ALWAYS lose some resolution as compared to the paper original. Reprints are similarly just printouts of a scanned original. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on anything but an original paper version. There are usually many on ebay at any given time. If you plan to actually use the manual in the garage (as opposed to displaying it with your car), then a low-cost original with grease stains and dog-eared pages will be fine. Don't spend extra for a pristine version unless you really want that.
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:19 AM
Randy C.

I believe the factory assembly manual, also known as the Product Information Manual (PIM), is essential, along with the Chassis Service Manual. And the one available out there by Millenium Industries is not a good copy of the original. I highly recommend you join Wild About Cars (www.wildaboutcars.com) for a small fee and then access their on-line version of the '68 PIM. Once you join Wild About Cars, you can download anything they have for your own use for free. And their version of the '68 PIM is fantastic - very clear, and their version of it is much more complete than the Millenium Industries version. Just my 2 cents worth.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0728111526.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm not knocking AHPS or any other digital service, but understand that there were no original electronic versions of manuals from this vintage car. Any electronic or CD version out there is a scan of an original paper copy. Scans will ALWAYS lose some resolution as compared to the paper original.
I agree, Joe, and I told him to get a paper manual, and even posted a link to one on eBay for him, but he seems hell bent on getting a digital copy of a real manual, so I posted the least expensive alternative, which is also a nonprofit organization.

You can lead a horse to water, but the rest is up to him.

- Eric
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I agree, Joe, and I told him to get a paper manual, and even posted a link to one on eBay for him, but he seems hell bent on getting a digital copy of a real manual,
Yes, that's why I was expanding on what you originally posted.

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I believe the factory assembly manual, also known as the Product Information Manual (PIM), is essential,
I'm going to have to disagree, Randy. If all the O.P. wants to do is maintenance, repairs, and troubleshooting, then the CSM and FBM are all you need. If one is planning a complete nut-and-bolt restoration, then the Assembly Manual is extremely valuable.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by biggus
I was wondering about the disc. They must be pretty clear if you can enlarge them but sometimes you just need a book while the wife is watching CSI.
Mine is on my PC, which I usually have handy if the wife is watching something uninteresting to me.
I do agree that the original is the best, but find the disc handy and has been for the most part good enough for me. It was from Dave Graham auto literature.