General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

futuramic DELUXE?

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2020, 06:44 PM

Question futuramic DELUXE?

Can anyone help me? I'm in the market for my dream car, a 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 but Im confused. What features came with the Deluxe trim? Im considering one that's for sale and the seller calls it a Deluxe, but it docent have power windows. Another Deluxe does. So, is it a deluxe? I don't care about the windows as much as I care to know what model it really is. Any help would be huge! This has been a research journey for about 4 years. I'm getting close! Oh, if it matters, its a convertible im looking for.
Thanksl
Nathan
Old September 15th, 2020, 08:22 PM

Rare car a 49 convertible. If I remember correctly the windows are hydraulic driven and in 49 very new to the auto world They hadn't been accepted as yet by the general public I'm sure it was a option and many didn't check that box when ordering...... Tedd
Old September 15th, 2020, 09:16 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

To my knowledge Olds did not have a Deluxe in 1949. They had a 76 which was the smaller of the Olds with a 6 cylinder engine. The 88 which was the same car as the 76 with the new V8 engine (same as the 98) and the 98. Power windows were an option and were operated from a hydraulic pump under the left front fender. This same pump operated the power seat and the top on convertibles. Power windows was a pretty rare option in 1949. For all the maintenance they involve I would prefer a car without them.
Old September 15th, 2020, 09:20 PM
Phantom Phixer

The difference back then between the standard and deluxe models had to do with extra chrome trim around the windows , more plush upholstery , that sort of thing .
All convertibles were considered deluxe models ( except the " 76 " ) .
All convertibles had power windows according to the X suffix of the style number .

Old September 15th, 2020, 09:50 PM

Hello Nathan, I see this thread is your first official comment. Welcome aboard.

Originally Posted by maineolds
Can anyone help me? I'm in the market for my dream car, a 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 but Im confused. What features came with the Deluxe trim? Im considering one that's for sale and the seller calls it a Deluxe, but it docent have power windows. Another Deluxe does. So, is it a deluxe?
Part of the Deluxe package on the 98 was hydraulic window. Cannot say the same for the Futuramic 88.... According to wild about cars neither the standard options or Deluxe options on an 88 included hydraulic windows. Hydraulic windows are also not listed on the significant options list.... Looks like this option was extremely rare extremely new or both.

"with "Futuramic" embossed into the stamping. Above this trim stood "88" in chrome. Otherwise, the car was indistingishible from the 76 line. Standard equipment and DeLuxe equipment packages were nearly identical to those listed in the 76 series. "

"Standard 76 equipment included safety glass, bumper guards, dual horns, dual sun visors, cigarette lighter, and solenoid starter. DeLuxe equipment featured foam rubber seat cushions, front and rear floor mats, special external chrome moldings, clock, DeLuxe steering wheel, wheel trim rings, and turn signals."

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9960447178948

Old September 15th, 2020, 09:57 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Okay I was wrong on the Deluxe. That is what happens when I rely on my memory. According to the Standard Catalog of Oldsmobile, the Deluxe had foam rubber seat cushions, front and rear floor mats, special external chrome moldings, clock, deluxe steering wheel, wheel trim rings and turn signals. I sold a 50 88 convertible and it did not have power windows. I do not know about the VIN number.
Old September 16th, 2020, 06:17 AM

Guys, all your help is SO appreciated! I've been looking at two cars, both 1949 convertables. One a 98 the other an 88. The 98 has power windows, the 88 does not. Charlie Jones, that's what's so confusing. The list you posted shows it SHOULD be power windows. Right? But I swear, this old girl didn't have them and never did. Odd. Both cars say "deluxe" in the add. I'd honestly prefer manual windows, but more important is knowing what Im actually buying. This is going to be the purchase of a lifetime. Expensive, but something I hope to enjoy the rest of my life. Im a pastor and mechanic at a non-profit garage. I'm blessed to have tools and mechanical knowledge that should help me keep the Olds going. It will be a nice weather only ride, but I'd like to really pile on the miles. Drives are just about the best thing on earth!
Redoldsman, having owned one, can you tell me your impressions? Sad to say, I've never had the chance to ride in one let alone drive one. I fell in love with the styling many years ago. The story is great too! My first car was a 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme. A tank with a tiny 260, but it was absolutely bullet proof in reliability. The only thing that finally got it was life as a daily driver here in salty Maine. I've always appreciated the brand. It helps that I had family work on the lines in Lansing for many years.
Old September 16th, 2020, 07:45 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I never actually owned the 1950 88 convertible. It belonged to a late friend of mine. I had a good bit of dealing with the car when he owned it and then I sold it as the executor of his estate. I did drive it some. I can tell you for a fact that power windows were not standard on the 88 convertible. Possible maybe on a 98 but not on an 88. I could have had the 1950 instead of my 54. I won't go into all the reasons for my choice but the fact the 54 has power steering and brakes were considerations. The 50 was a beautiful car and an older restoration that had held up pretty well. Without power steering you realize why the car has a large steering wheel. You need it. You also have to allow for the non-power 4 wheel drum brakes. If they are in good shape they will stop the car but you do not want anybody close in front of you. But when you take it out on a nice two lane country road (you probably have lots of those in Maine) with the top down there is nothing like it. You really drive one of these old cars. Even though my 54 has power brakes and steering you still have to pay close attention to surrounding traffic. To me there is a romance with these old cars. Harley Earl was overseeing the design of these cars and it was a different era. I am 74 and learned to drive in my Mom's 56 Mercury. But I grew up with muscle cars and hot rods. I could sell my Olds and buy a pretty nice used Corvette or Mustang. There are tons of those out there. When people see my Olds most of them admire it. So that is my beat on 50's cars. Post some pictures of the cars if you have a chance.
Old September 16th, 2020, 09:33 AM
Phantom Phixer

I always thought that the X suffix on the style number stood for power windows , and in many cases it does .
But , I guess it stood for any power equipment including the top .
Old September 16th, 2020, 09:41 AM

Thanks Redoldsman. I appreciate hearing your story. Power steering and brakes do make a difference, but like you say, as long as you drive like you DONT have them, you'll usually be ok. I restored a 1968 Jeepster Commando many years ago. It had neither power steering or brakes for most of the time I owned it. Last year I built my own power brake conversion and wow, what a difference. That's one upgrade I'd eventually make to the 49. Here's some pics of my Jeepster and the 49 im looking at.

Old September 16th, 2020, 10:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice. The big difference in the 49 and 50 was the 50 had the pretty chrome trim on the front fenders and doors. I understand that was a common add on to 49's after the 50's came out back in the day. Power brakes would be very difficult to add to a 49 without butchering the car by adding a swinging pedal. The master cylinder is under the floorboard. Maybe you could add a treadlevac that came on later Olds like my 54. I have never seen it done though.
Old September 16th, 2020, 06:19 PM
Phantom Phixer

Here's an idea . In fact I'm considering doing this on my manual brakes '63 .
Get a Bendix HydraVac unit . I know that these were used on 57 Cadillacs , mid fifties Studebakers , some Fords , and others .
You use your normal master cylinder and it boosts output to the wheels . You could mount anywhere it will fit .

Old September 16th, 2020, 06:42 PM

Charlie Jones, that's a big help and exactly what I had in mind. Now thanks to you I know what type of booster to look for. Until Redoldsman told me, I didn't know the brake master wasn't in the traditional place its found on most cars, on the fire wall. Looks like ive got a lot to learn!
Old September 16th, 2020, 08:42 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you buy the car the first thing you should buy is a factory shop manual. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. Get one on ebay and do not get a reprint of CD version. You want an original that has at least a few greasy fingerprints on it. I just looked on ebay and there is one for $22.99.
Old September 17th, 2020, 07:34 AM

Another quick way to determine if it's a 49 or a 50 is by the wind shield 49 is split and the 50 is a one piece. There are exceptions (some very early 50's had split windshields ) but at a glance it helps get the year right....Tedd
Old September 17th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You are correct Tedd as usual. The 50 Olds convertible I sold had a two piece windshield. I never checked the serial number to see if it was an early car.
Old September 17th, 2020, 08:20 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone. The seller just sent me the body tag. What info can I get from this? Anyone know how to read it?
Old September 17th, 2020, 08:24 AM

that body tag docent seem to say its a 1949 88 convertible. According to this info taken from wildaboutcars.com

Shouldn't it say 493567DX not 493587X
Old September 17th, 2020, 09:02 AM

I answered my own question! Looks like I was reading a "6" as an "8". According to the build tag, its a 1949 Futuramic 88 series 2 door convertible coupe
Old September 17th, 2020, 09:09 AM

Looks like the color code checks out too! 49C, Seafoam green
Old September 17th, 2020, 10:16 PM
Phantom Phixer

Here's another piece of the puzzle .
The trim number 6 is Green leather and Green Bedford cloth .

Also Body L 4510 = 4510th body of that style assembled at Lansing MI .
Old September 18th, 2020, 03:03 AM

These pages are from the '49 Dealer Facts Book. The "Deluxe" pack it seems was optional on the 76 & 88 (except the Hydramatic on the '76 Convertible) whilst the Deluxe pack was standard on the 98. Good luck with the purchase process.