General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Dumping Pertronix Ignitor for MSD system

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2013, 01:28 AM

Question Dumping Pertronix Ignitor for MSD system

I am not happy with the performance, time spent, money spent and time wasted and money wasted dealing with the Pertronix ignitor system. Magnet ring sticker on magnets fell apart and lost magnets. This is After the first unit did not work as stated. It looked like bad qc when I refused the first two I received. I should have been alerted to my future. I could have bought 5 sets of high quality points and a new dwell meter and timing light for the money I spent trying out something cheaper. Lesson learned for me.
I would like some comments or suggestions on my choice so far on upgrading. MSD 8529 ready to run distributor with my existing MSD blaster 2 coil and some new Taylor 8.2 MM wires #84604 & NGK R5670-6 / #2746 Spark Plugs. Equal to AC Delco R43S Plug. Please be blunt and I would like to know if someone has a MSD #8566 Distributor w/ Box & with no vaccum advance, and how this affects performance on the street. Thanks to all in advance. Are the pics too big? still learning about this stuff. He he
1BAD71455
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
driversideskyLG.jpg (77.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg
enginewithsunLG.jpg (89.6 KB, 75 views)
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

1. There is a Pertronix unit that doesn't require a separate magnet.
Crane and others make similar units.
I would have tried one of those.

2. Can't say what you might need without knowing about your engine.
Is is modified, or just chromed-up?

3. In general, if your engine will run in the normal (below 5,000 or 5,500 RPM) rev range, you will see no performance improvement from an electronic ignition over points, so if you want my advice, stop wasting your money, follow the advice in the title of another thread running right now, and Keep It Simple.

- Eric
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:00 AM

Unless you run a really big cam or supercharger and fowl plugs, the stock points system is fine. I see a lot of MSD boxes go bad and see nothing special about their distributors.
Follow your own advice and put the points back in.
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:31 AM

That is a lot of problems with Pertronix. I've used Pertronix on 5 different cars going back to the early 90's with only 1 problem. I lost a magnet...but that was my fault because I rushed over the install and didn't follow the installation instruction that require that I properly adjust the gap between the mag ring and the rotor. It had a slight drag, that eventually tore the magnet loose.

There is zero performance increase with Pertronix or any other unit unless your engine is revving beyond the limits of the points. The advantage I like is unlike points, they do not deteriorate and require adjustment. A proper electronic operates like new points all the tuime.

The only car I havs owned that gained performance was a 69 Vette 350 hp 350, 11:1 compression that had a 6000 red line. It originally had the heavy spring points. But the rubbing block would wear early and the points would float at or near 5500 rpm. The Pertronix would rev smoothly right to 6000.
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:42 AM

I've ran the MSD 8529, for several years, it's as bullet proof as it gets. I've still got the Pertronix unit I removed. If your engine is stock, just rebuild the stock distributor, and call it a day..
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:48 PM

I bought a good used stock HEI and upgraded it with the Pertronix setup, works great, there's nothing in the HEI kit that can fall apart.
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why do you need a Pertronix setup for an HEI?

- Eric
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:47 PM
72 Olds CS

in my experience pertronix works every time 50% of the time.

bought two kits one for our trail groomer (4 cyl ford) and 1 for my 8n Ford tractor. the tractor one worked fine w no issues for several years tillit was sold.

The other kit was intially assembled incorrrectly from the factory, that was immediately replaced worked for a short period of time and died, replaced and worked for while till a magnet dislodged, against all odds in the winter, at night we found the offending magnet, glued it back in and it worked till the nxt year when we junked the pertronix set-up due a no start no spark
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1BAD71455
I would like some comments or suggestions on my choice so far on upgrading. MSD 8529 ready to run distributor with my existing MSD blaster 2 coil and some new Taylor 8.2 MM wires #84604 & NGK R5670-6 / #2746 Spark Plugs. Equal to AC Delco R43S Plug. Please be blunt and I would like to know if someone has a MSD #8566 Distributor w/ Box & with no vaccum advance, and how this affects performance on the street. Thanks to all in advance. Are the pics too big? still learning about this stuff. He he
1BAD71455
I would run the 8529 scenario. That is a very good distributor, just follow the directions and you are all good. The 8566 is overkill!
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Why do you need a Pertronix setup for an HEI?

- Eric
There kit comes with everything to convert a just get it done HEI into a good performance distributor. Comes with a performance module, adjustable vacuum advance and mech advance, good cap and rotor and a high out put coil.
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM

Send your original distributor to Dave Ray. www.davessmallbodyheis.com

You'll end up with a totally rebuilt distributor, custom curved to your needs (or your specs, if you provide them), the same basic internals as the MSD, a lifetime warranty (Dave's life, that is), and you'll save $100 or so over the MSD.

He is a one-man show, so don't expect it back 3 days after you send it. He has done dozens for me over the years, and it typically takes 2 to 3 weeks.

Lee
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by LeeA
Send your original distributor to Dave Ray. www.davessmallbodyheis.com

You'll end up with a totally rebuilt distributor, custom curved to your needs (or your specs, if you provide them), the same basic internals as the MSD, a lifetime warranty (Dave's life, that is), and you'll save $100 or so over the MSD.

He is a one-man show, so don't expect it back 3 days after you send it. He has done dozens for me over the years, and it typically takes 2 to 3 weeks.

Lee
Thanks Lee, looks like a great option. Still torn on the Pertronix, seems many have had good luck, many have not. Emailing Dave now.
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:30 PM

Mr. Explosives remedy has commented on my post. I feel validated now. Ha Ha Your the reason I thought this site was so cool the first time I saw it. Thanks for all the comments everybody. I am leaning toward the 8529 also. I had the engine bored .030 over and I am not going racing all the time. Quadrajet was rebuilt by profesional. I will be running some HD 23 oz points until I put the New distributor in. Need to check on the Dave Ray option. Sounds good, I like American labor better than the peoples army. Eric? Does the pink really bring in the chicks or is that a myth?
Steve
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:40 PM
GM Enthusiast

I am not familiar with the MSD box, but I will say that in my experience, points work just fine for most of my type of driving. I had pertronix and it worked great for about 5 years and then it just quit. I replaced it with a set of points and did not notice any difference in the performance/driveability of the car so I left them in there. No point in going back + it's always easy to fix.
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 1BAD71455
Eric? Does the pink really bring in the chicks or is that a myth?
Well, I'd get in trouble if picked up any chicks now, but they still smile and wave.
Back in college I had a pink '70 Cutlass convertible, and, yes, no question the chicks dug it. I had a 911 Targa at the same time, and there was no comparison.

- Eric
Old August 16th, 2013, 05:22 AM

I have had good and bad experience with Pertronix. The one in my 65 Buick Riviera worked flawlessly and was a noticeable improvement over the stock points. (Power, acceleration, etc.)
The second was in a 63 Thunderbird. The module just crapped out. Pertronix customer service was great though and walked me through the test procedure over the phone. Sent me out a new module overnight.
Having said that about Pertronix I currently have a Mallory Unilite in my 66. No problems other than being double resisted by the previous idiot owner. I fixed that.
The new engine I'm using a MSD Ready to Run unit. My only comment about them is they can rust on the inside but MSD addressed that in the newer units by coating the guts with a yellow colored paint like deal. Any older units can be sent back to have the process done at no charge.
The race units require a MSD ignition box to run but are fine for the street as the box does all the work. Although you won't have any type of vacuum advance for economy. Ready to Run units can also use the box by by-passing their internals. If you're insistent on an ignition box check out these guys.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/index.html

They don't have much to say in favor of MSD but then again they are in competition with them. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by TripDeuces; August 16th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM

The reason I put the Pertronix set up in a stock HEI is because I do some over the road driving and if something where to take a dump out on the road any auto parts store will have what I need to get it going again. I thought about some of those aftermarket distributors but if you break done in bum cluck Utah you are up the creek finding a part.
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Hahaha, I'm flattered I think!