General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Chilton/Haynes Manual

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2021, 01:34 PM

Chilton/Haynes Manual

Does anyone know where I might find a Chilton/Haynes manual for a 1972 Olds Cutlass? The Chilton online is only available to the USA. Kinda leaves us Cunuks out in the cold.
Old September 7th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VE6STA
Does anyone know where I might find a Chilton/Haynes manual for a 1972 Olds Cutlass? The Chilton online is only available to the USA. Kinda leaves us Cunuks out in the cold.
In the trash comes to mind.
Don't waste your time and money. Get an original paper copy of a factory Chassis Service Manual. PDFs and CDs are worthless, since there were no electronic originals and thus any electronic copies are scans of a paper original. Details suffer as a result, especially in diagrams like wiring.

Old September 7th, 2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
In the trash comes to mind.
Don't waste your time and money. Get an original paper copy of a factory Chassis Service Manual. PDFs and CDs are worthless, since there were no electronic originals and thus any electronic copies are scans of a paper original. Details suffer as a result, especially in diagrams like wiring.
Any idea where I might find a printed manual? I did get the PDF version and like you said the details are not as crisp as they should be. At least I didn't pay much for it.
Old September 7th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VE6STA
Any idea where I might find a printed manual?
Type 1972 oldsmobile service manual into the search box on ebay. There are about a dozen originals for sale there at the moment. The least expensive is under $20.
Old September 8th, 2021, 04:39 AM

I picked up a hardcover Chilton's guide years ago similar to this one:

Amazon Amazon

As Joe mentioned, the FSM and CSM are a better investment. The Chilton's manual usually stays on the shelf in my garage next to the books I have on Ford 9" Rear Ends, IDI Diesel Service, Quadrajet Service, Holley Service, etc.