General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1955 88 A/C Outlet Location

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2018, 07:21 PM

1955 88 A/C Outlet Location

This photo (sorry about the small size) shows the A/C outlets as part of the control assembly attached below the glovebox on a '55 88. It has a GM compressor from that era. Could this be a dealer-installed unit?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old October 20th, 2018, 03:23 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Fleetwood Floyd

This photo (sorry about the small size) shows the A/C outlets as part of the control assembly attached below the glovebox on a '55 88. It has a GM compressor from that era. Could this be a dealer-installed unit?

Thanks,
Charlie
I can't resize your picture to see it clearly, but it looks a lot like the factory installed control unit on my 56:

Old October 20th, 2018, 07:57 AM

Do you have the fish eye vents in the dash? what I can see with your picture (hard to tell) it looks like a factory setup to me.... Tedd
Old October 20th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Update: The picture of the AC controls that I sent above was not from my car ( my car is not rusty or scuzzy). I have no idea where I got it but it embarrassed me, so here are a couple of pictures that I just took:

Old October 20th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Thanks,
Charlie
Charlie, inquiring minds want to know. Do you have a 55 with AC? If so, we would like to see pictures. Not many of them left.
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:18 PM

'55f A/C Outlets

Frank-
I am looking at a '55 with A/C on Ebay. I can't quite see the dash area where the round outlets would be. The lister sent me a pic in response to my question about where the outlets are, but only of the control unit. l have asked about the in-dash outlets, but no reply yet.

I've never had an Olds, but had a '56 Cadillac with air that still had the evaporator in the trunk and outlets in the package shelf.

Thanks
Charlie
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Do you have the fish eye vents in the dash? what I can see with your picture (hard to tell) it looks like a factory setup to me.... Tedd
Don't know yet (see reply to Frank)
Old October 21st, 2018, 04:19 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Frank-
I am looking at a '55 with A/C on Ebay. I can't quite see the dash area where the round outlets would be. The lister sent me a pic in response to my question about where the outlets are, but only of the control unit. l have asked about the in-dash outlets, but no reply yet.

I've never had an Olds, but had a '56 Cadillac with air that still had the evaporator in the trunk and outlets in the package shelf.

Thanks
Charlie
Charlie,

Here's a little history on the evolution of GM's AC's from some archive stuff I tend to hang on to:

General Motors offered factory-installed air conditioning systems in its Cadillac, Buick, and Oldsmobile automobiles beginning in 1953. These units were designed by Frigidaire and were a conventional refrigeration system adapted to automobiles. The compressor, condenser, and receiver-dryer were located in the engine compartment while the evaporator-blower unit was located in the forward trunk area; the air conditioning controls were located at the instrument panel. Cold air was delivered through outlets in the rear package shelf or through ducts/outlets in the roof headliner.
Harrison developed an entirely front-mounted air conditioning unit which was first installed in 1954 Pontiacs. Oldsmobile and Chevrolet followed in 1955, Buick in 1956, but Cadillac retained the trunk units through 1956.
Automobile air conditioning in the 1950's was a wonderful luxury.
Old October 21st, 2018, 07:17 PM

If I a'm remembering correctly the 55 fish eye vents (and maybe 54) were a one, two year only part and were a little smaller than 56 or later vents so if you could get a measurement perhaps we could tell if it was after market or original.I could be totally wrong on this it's been over 50 years sense I saw a original 55 AC setup. They aren't very common... Tedd
Old October 21st, 2018, 07:55 PM

Tedd,the picture in post# 1 is of the center vent and control which mounts under the glove compartment door, but the '55 Oldsmobile with factory air did have the larger "fish eye " vents mounted in the curved part of the dash in the left and right of the lower dash panel. Most '55 Olds that were equipped with factory A.C. We're "98's. My dad had a Super 88 and knew a friend that had wrecked his "98" with factory air, so he bought the car, we took the complete air conditioner off and installed it on his "88" . We did "farm out" the part of cutting the holes in the curves of the dash to install the "fish eye vents" to a local body shop, but it worked out exactly as we expected. The vents looked just like the '56 vents ,but could have been a bit smaller. Rocketowner
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:49 PM

Tried to add pictures last night 'but failed

1956 Olds Dash with factory A.C.

I believe the '55 was very similar if not identicał