Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Installing AC in a non-AC '55 88

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Installing AC in a non-AC '55 88

Hi All

My '55 (324) was originally a non-AC car. Im trying to work out the logistics of installing a new system and my first question is where/how to mount a compressor. Can someone share some info on either where the original compressor mounted and what the original bracket/mount looks like or, if you came up with a custom solution, what you ended up fabricating to mount the compressor?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan
Massapequa Park, NY
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:48 AM

I forgot if this was in a '55 or '56, but zoom in on the brackets and you'll get the idea. One of the better aftermarket installs I saw at last years Nationals. No need for the rare 3 groove pulleys
Old March 14th, 2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
I forgot if this was in a '55 or '56, but zoom in on the brackets and you'll get the idea. One of the better aftermarket installs I saw at last years Nationals. No need for the rare 3 groove pulleys
Thanks 59-59-59. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the help.

Dan
Old March 14th, 2017, 03:53 PM

That's a nice clean install!
Old March 14th, 2017, 04:43 PM

Smile

PM me with any questions,I mounted mine 8 years ago by lining the compressor belt ith the generator bracket and used a Gates belt 64 inches long using the generator adjustments to tighten the belt. I started by using a York universal (Ford type ) mounting bracket and a Sanden compressor. There' some pictures in my albums . I sold the car 6 months ago but I may still be able to answer your questions. Larry(Rocketowner)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (92.1 KB, 31 views)
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
PM me with any questions,I mounted mine 8 years ago by lining the compressor belt ith the generator bracket and used a Gates belt 64 inches long using the generator adjustments to tighten the belt. I started by using a York universal (Ford type ) mounting bracket and a Sanden compressor. There' some pictures in my albums . I sold the car 6 months ago but I may still be able to answer your questions. Larry(Rocketowner)
Will do. Thanks for the help Larry.

Dan
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Dan below is a picture of the York to Sanden compressor mounting Plate that I used . It's available online for under $50 + Shipping .makes for an easy start.I made one or two aluminum brackets (from 1 and1/4 " by 1/4" strap )to brace from mounting bolts already on the engine. The rest was just taking the patience to line up the belt in all pulleys. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (215.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; March 14th, 2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I used a bracket similar to what Larry used that was also a York to Sanden conversion. I had the good fortune to get a good deal on the rare 4 groove balancer and water pump pulley. I have included some pictures of the brackets I designed and had made and the compressor after it was mounted in the car and before it was plumbed. You could probably use the same brackets with out using the 4 groove pulley. You will have to get rid of your regular fuel pump if you are still using it. The brace in the pictures bolts on the bottom of the bracket and on the rear fuel pump bolt. I have seen these done several ways. Here is the link to the mount and the pictures are below. If you like, I can cutout a paper template of the bracket and mail to you. The link is:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Compressor-Mo...VYujJS&vxp=mtr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0647.JPG (2.22 MB, 27 views)
IMG_0648.JPG (2.15 MB, 26 views)
IMG_0649.JPG (1.98 MB, 29 views)
IMG_0650.JPG (1.29 MB, 33 views)
IMG_0653.JPG (1.41 MB, 32 views)
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:42 AM

One of the hardest parts of my installation was installing the rubber grommets where the hoses came through the firewall and I knew if I didn't get them in correctly ,it would wear a hole in the hoses.. Best of luck ,Larry
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:48 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. This board is an invaluable resource.

Dan
Old March 15th, 2017, 04:30 PM

Dan,I also made a screen to fit over the AC condenser that I received many compliments on. It was the plastic window screen cut to size,and 4 Tarp grommets to fasten at each corner with small zip ties. I had a small soft brush ,to brush the bugs of of it and it kept the condenser from collecting bugs. Larry
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fenian16
Hi All

My '55 (324) was originally a non-AC car. Im trying to work out the logistics of installing a new system and my first question is where/how to mount a compressor. Can someone share some info on either where the original compressor mounted and what the original bracket/mount looks like or, if you came up with a custom solution, what you ended up fabricating to mount the compressor?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan
Massapequa Park, NY
Doing total "original" will essentially not be practical without a donor vehicle. The original compressor was an Frigidaire A5. Availability is limited, it is "bulky" and didn't pump as well as other compressors.

If "original" is needed, expect a long hard struggle.
If aftermarket is acceptable, do as everyone has suggested.
Another possibility is to install a Frigidaire A6 using a bracket from a 1963 or 1964 Olds. The A6 is more compact, more available, and pumps better (up to the point when it seizes). The bracket will require a bit of modification due to a change in the deck height, but it will also allow the use of the Delcotron which is to be preferred over the original generator which did a sad job of maintaining the battery in slow summer night driving. I did it on my '55. I was able to still use the dual belt drive which has always worked well pulling the load.

Here you can see someone's attempt at mounting an A6 on the original bracket on a 303 engine. This is NOT a good approach due to the configuration of the sump on the A6. It should be at the bottom to function correctly.

Best wishes on the project. It will make riding in the summer far more enjoyable.