General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What happened to the ROP site?

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 01:58 PM

What happened to the ROP site?

Hasn't been available for about 18 hours or so.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:01 PM
car guy

Crashed....some are saying for good
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:05 PM

Well, let's hope not. Good people & information there.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:11 PM

The people didnt die, the board did.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Looks like Andyo might try to come back here since he's been banned at every other site ROP was the only one without mods so he faired quite well there. Maybe someone will take it over and upgrade it now that it's down
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Shoveling Snow

Whew I thought my computer was revolting and not letting me on ROP.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I bet OCA took it down. Just kidding guys.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Oldsdruid

For most part the PTB in OCA don't even know any Oldsmobile forums exist. They sure won't acknowledge them. So even though it makes for a good story, nah.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by rocketraider
For most part the PTB in OCA don't even know any Oldsmobile forums exist. They sure won't acknowledge them. So even though it makes for a good story, nah.
You can see I was not serious. For my part I can do without both of them but that is just me and not intended to start anything.
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM

I know for a fact that some of the OCA officers were watching that thread.
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:27 PM

I don't know, sure seems funny the timing and all - OCA Board votes supposed to be in by TODAY. Maybe MIN & other Gene Crowdis supporters conspired with Chinese hackers to take ROP down.
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM

I just became a member a week ago or so. I just made my first post late last week.
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I gave up trying to join a long time ago.
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Crashed....some are saying for good
"Some" reliable sources?
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:21 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
"Some" reliable sources?
Just a while back I heard if it ever has a bad crash again they were not going to through the effort to rebuild it. I have no official inside information.
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM
dcurtis61

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Whew I thought my computer was revolting and not letting me on ROP.

Thats so funny, I thought the same thing!

Dan
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:35 PM
dcurtis61

I know they were, we should be hearing something soon I'll bet
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
I just became a member a week ago or so. I just made my first post late last week.
You were lucky to become a member..... I tried months ago and got absolutely no feedback..... Decided not to waste my time to try again since I have heard others have had the same results when they tried to join.......
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by p518
Hasn't been available for about 18 hours or so.
Seems to be going up & down. I was browsing it at ~ 3-4PM EST today with no probs, but can't hit it now....
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
You were lucky to become a member..... I tried months ago and got absolutely no feedback..... Decided not to waste my time to try again since I have heard others have had the same results when they tried to join.......
I tried last fall and heard nothing back. Boldsmobile, who's posting in this thread, mentioned to email the admin and i did. It took a couple months, but he got back to me and told me I was approved. I've read there a little bit, and finally got up my nerve to post something late last week.
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Looks like Andyo might try to come back here since he's been banned at every other site ROP was the only one without mods so he faired quite well there. Maybe someone will take it over and upgrade it now that it's down
Andy will be just fine here

http://highperformanceolds.com/phpbb2/index.php

That place is less moderated than ROP
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:00 PM

OK,here's the deal with ROP. The site was hacked and was shutdown by the host server provider. It will be back @ some point but in what form nobody knows. The archives/old threads may or may not be salvageable and it may have to start over from scratch. It will be upgraded to newer software and more user friendly. I will keep everybody posted as the progress allows. You will just have to trust what I'm telling you because I'm posting the truth. I can't get into specifics @ this time because it's an evolving process. It could be that everybody will have to register again as new members,maybe not,we'll just have to wait and see. It could be a few days or longer but when it does come back up,it should be a more user friendly site. Stay tuned for any updates I can provide.
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by MellowYellow
I don't know, sure seems funny the timing and all - OCA Board votes supposed to be in by TODAY. Maybe MIN & other Gene Crowdis supporters conspired with Chinese hackers to take ROP down.
Old threads may not be recovered? That's what Crowdis is hoping will happen.
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
OK,here's the deal with ROP. The site was hacked and was shutdown by the host server provider. It will be back @ some point but in what form nobody knows. The archives/old threads may or may not be salvageable and it may have to start over from scratch. It will be upgraded to newer software and more user friendly. I will keep everybody posted as the progress allows. You will just have to trust what I'm telling you because I'm posting the truth. I can't get into specifics @ this time because it's an evolving process. It could be that everybody will have to register again as new members,maybe not,we'll just have to wait and see. It could be a few days or longer but when it does come back up,it should be a more user friendly site. Stay tuned for any updates I can provide.
Thanks Mike,

I was kind of getting used to it not crashing every year

The plus side is new members might actually be able to get approved now
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MellowYellow
Old threads may not be recovered? That's what Crowdis is hoping will happen.

Oh, I don't think I'd have any problem posting all 20 something pages even if it's in a text format:

Page 16 for example:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Page 21

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Anyway....you get the idea

Last edited by allyolds68; March 26th, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:15 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442

Thanks for the info Mike.

I was hoping ROP wasn't gone forever,I enjoy posting at CO and ROP. Both sites have their good and bad points.
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Ben

Without the previous threads and postings why in the world would you want to post there???

Thats the only reason i looked there. They should just put a bullet in it and let people move onto sites where somebody is actually behind the wheel.
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:24 PM
72Cutlass S

I know this is probably a stupid question but... What is OCA?
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:26 PM
72Cutlass S

Nevermind, Just searched Gene Crowdis and figured it out for myself.
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Oldsdruid

Oldsmobile Club of America. Lot of us here, ROP and Oldspower belong to it. I'm coming up on 30 years continuous membership. Joined at age 25. Yes, I'm an Olds fart.

Yes, the timing of the ROP crash could be viewed as suspect, though I've never thought anyone in OCA would be so crass as to do something like that.
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Oldsmobile Club of America. Lot of us here, ROP and Oldspower belong to it. I'm coming up on 30 years continuous membership. Joined at age 25. Yes, I'm an Olds fart.

Yes, the timing of the ROP crash could be viewed as suspect, though I've never thought anyone in OCA would be so crass as to do something like that.
Let's stop it with the conspiracies. It's very unlikely that the culprits will ever be known. Other than losing the old threads/archives if that happens,this may have been a good thing. When the site is upgraded,I think it will be more enjoyable for those wanting to participate.
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Oldsdruid

Then they should damn well be aware of sentiments on both sides of the issue, and that some of us think the whole mess has damaged OCA beyond repair.

I've been in OCA coming up on 30 years. I served it as ASE Zone director for ten and watched that zone grow from two chapters to nine, and then fall apart after I walked out of the 2000 board meeting swearing never to return to it- under similar circumstances as now. I put a lot of effort into OCA as well as a shitload of my own time and money. I never received a dime of compensation from OCA except for the trip I made to Atlanta to approve the location for the 1996 National Meet. That's how much I believed in that club.

People are after me constantly to run for ASE Zd again but I am truthfully very close to saying the hell with the whole works. I don't trust ANY of the current executive board to do the right things and I think the directors have been corrupted by the whole issue too.

In short, I think power grabs have done the OCA in and the power-hungry people on both sides don't have the collective sense between them to realise the damage they've done. They'd rather rip the club apart than give an inch.

Give me that 30-year jacket and they can stick the entire OCA up their asses, if they can get it in past their heads.

Glenn Williamson
OCA 10983
ASE Zone director 1990-2000
1995 Nationals Chair
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:02 PM

I think it will suck big time if the old threads are lost. There was a TON of great info as long as you could wade through all the BS arguments and political posts that seemed to take ROP over the last couple years. I've been a member there for at least 6-7 years and learned a lot...
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:10 PM

Thanks Mike.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Then they should damn well be aware of sentiments on both sides of the issue, and that some of us think the whole mess has damaged OCA beyond repair.

I've been in OCA coming up on 30 years. I served it as ASE Zone director for ten and watched that zone grow from two chapters to nine, and then fall apart after I walked out of the 2000 board meeting swearing never to return to it- under similar circumstances as now. I put a lot of effort into OCA as well as a shitload of my own time and money. I never received a dime of compensation from OCA except for the trip I made to Atlanta to approve the location for the 1996 National Meet. That's how much I believed in that club.

People are after me constantly to run for ASE Zd again but I am truthfully very close to saying the hell with the whole works. I don't trust ANY of the current executive board to do the right things and I think the directors have been corrupted by the whole issue too.

In short, I think power grabs have done the OCA in and the power-hungry people on both sides don't have the collective sense between them to realise the damage they've done. They'd rather rip the club apart than give an inch.

Give me that 30-year jacket and they can stick the entire OCA up their asses, if they can get it in past their heads.

Glenn Williamson
OCA 10983
ASE Zone director 1990-2000
1995 Nationals Chair
The only thing wrong with the OCA is the old regime that won't let it go. Tell me one thing that Wilson has done wrong and that stuff about him trying to get some people to run for ASE Zone Director won't get it. If he's guilty of that,how about Yancy doing the same thing? The only thing I have seen of Jerry Wilson is his attending Olds cars shows @ his own expense promoting the OCA and Olds. There is no doubt that the current problem with Crowdis is his own doing,even Stevie Wonder can see what he's doing or has done. I'm not a Jerry Wilson puppet,I hardly know the man but from what I've seen,he's doing a good job. I'm not trying to talk anybody into or out of the OCA,that's every mans choice but this constant negative stuff has got to go. I for one want to see the OCA survive and prosper and the only negative thing you will hear me say is on the recall,MIN & hate letters. As far as the every day OCA,I'm supporting it fully and if you can't say something good about it,at least don't say negative things if you even half way care about it.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:28 PM
72Cutlass S

I dont understand why the OCA would be at odds with a forum site such as this or ROP.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by gs72
I dont understand why the OCA would be at odds with a forum site such as this or ROP.
The OCA isn't @ odds with any of these sites. Some of the old regime read everything that is posted or said on these forums. The post about the OCA was made in jest I'm sure.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:42 PM

Wondered what was up with ROP..... Sure, it needed a mod sometimes, BUT it has the best Olds engine info by far... the moronic "I made 600hp on a stock 455 with just an intake swap" crowd never dared post...

Last edited by natedrag; March 26th, 2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: new thought
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:57 AM

Plus, there's no ANNOYING ADS!

(hint, hint)
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:48 AM

They'd rather rip the club apart than give an inch.
qft

Quick Reply: What happened to the ROP site?