General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What happened to the ROP site?

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2013, 09:34 AM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by Oldsnut71442
LOL

You seem to be one very negative person. Those who you refer to as trash, I refer to as a Gold Mine. The wealth of knowledge over at ROP is extremely helpful and worth its weight in Gold.

You can trash on a site or their members all you want but it puts you down to the same level.
I'm not the only one i this thread who has mentioned the lack of civility over there, but of course you pounced on MY post. I get it, I disagreed with you in another thread, so now you don't like me. You couldn't possibly know what people I was refering to when I said "some of the trash" over there, so calling them a "gold mine" is just silly. Once again, I wish you luck running your club into the ground.
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
98% of the members from there and the knowedge they bring is welcome with open arms.
X2 on that Richard
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:27 AM

I wittness the same squabbling here, as ROP. It's just more sissified here.
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Sissified? You really are trying to make friends here aren't you?
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM

If the 2% play by the rules, are they not welcome here?
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Sissified? You really are trying to make friends here aren't you?
How ironic that you should post an example so quickly after I stated my observance......
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
"me somebody" site member

For those of you who are getting all snifly, here's the latest web archive of ROP from "The Wayback Machine":

http://web.archive.org/web/201302152...pBB2/index.php

Search function doesn't work, and some older threads and posts may be lost, but may be of SOME use, perhaps for accessing some recent "nugget".
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:58 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
If the 2% play by the rules, are they not welcome here?

The 2% is an exaggeration. Basicly if you have not been banned form this site already you are welcome.
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:30 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by olds style
No one is making you stay if it is so sissified here I have children, nieces and nephews that share my passion for all things auto that also enjoy learning about the hobby and they learn a lot from here. I don't consider this site sissified, I consider it to be family oriented, family friendly and for the most part it is somewhat civilized. If it is naked pictures, arguing and cursing then maybe YB is the place for you because that kind of stuff isn't tolerated here.
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Afer reading the last few pages, ,<THINKS> so this is what ROP is like? Yup, I really thought I was missing sumfin! <wipes a tear from his eye, sniff, sniff>
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
No one is making you stay if it is so sissified here I have children, nieces and nephews that share my passion for all things auto that also enjoy learning about the hobby and they learn a lot from here. I don't consider this site sissified, I consider it to be family oriented, family friendly and for the most part it is somewhat civilized. If it is naked pictures, arguing and cursing then maybe YB is the place for you because that kind of stuff isn't tolerated here.

Ok, lets look at whats going on here.

I posted my truthful perception of things (which I believe is my right as an American under my Bill of Rights, as well as with-in the rules of the forum).

I was not vulgar or obscene or indignate, nor did I engage you, or any other specific member.

You've taken exception to my position, and have chosen to respond to me specifically (by quote) with a diatribe about children, nephews, naked pictures and cursing and have informed me of my right to not post here (as if I'm not totally aware of that). You've further deduced and suggested I may prefer going to Y/B.

I'm not going to enter a squabble with you other than to say this...

You Sir, may KMA !

PS. Have I made myself clear ?

Last edited by olds style; April 5th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Just plain NUTS!

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I'm not the only one i this thread who has mentioned the lack of civility over there, but of course you pounced on MY post. I get it, I disagreed with you in another thread, so now you don't like me. You couldn't possibly know what people I was refering to when I said "some of the trash" over there, so calling them a "gold mine" is just silly. Once again, I wish you luck running your club into the ground.
I reacted to your post because yours by far was the rudest comment by anyone. You hate OCA and ROP both based on your comments. I suggest waking up and getting out of bed on the correct side tomorrow.
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Ok, lets look at whats going on here.

I posted my truthful perception of things (which I believe is my right as an American under my Bill of Rights, as well as with-in the rules of the forum).

I was not vulgar or obscene or indignate, nor did I engage you, or any other specific member.

You've taken exception to my position, and have chosen to respond to me specifically (by quote) with a diatribe about children, nephews, naked pictures and cursing and have informed me of my right to not post here (as if I'm not totally aware of that). You've further deduced and suggested I may prefer going to Y/B.

I'm not going to enter a squabble with you other than to say this...

You Sir, may KMA !

PS. Have I made myself clear ?
Move your nose... As Mudd
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM
delete

Originally Posted by covertolds
I remember that. Pretty crappie I thought.

I have 442 grilles in my Cutlass. Let 'em criticize.
I think they look snappy.
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:48 PM
delete

Dude, that's FUNNY!
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:49 PM

Geeze Louise Guys, Just talking about ROP must bring out this stuff. PLEASE let's all calm down.

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I hope ROP is back up and running soon so the people that are so unhappy here can go back over there.
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:39 PM

I hope ROP is back up and running soon so the people that are so unhappy here can go back over there.
It seems here on Classic Olds that unless someone pats the OP on the back tells them how wonderful their project is, how wonderful they are, or how wonderful the world is in general, they are labeled as a trouble maker.

I've know JD (Olds Style) through ROP for years. I've never known him to be unhappy. His help has been invaluable to me when I was prepping and having my car painted. Through his advice I was able to get the place that painted my car to completely redo it because I wasn't happy with it. He literally saved me thousands of dollars.

Don't be so quick to trash people because they don't agree with you or you don't like their attitude. People don't always have to agree.
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:45 PM

AllyOlds.... I am in total agreement with your statement.
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by allyolds68
It seems here on Classic Olds that unless someone pats the OP on the back tells them how wonderful their project is, how wonderful they are, or how wonderful the world is in general, they are labeled as a trouble maker.

I've know JD (Olds Style) through ROP for years. I've never known him to be unhappy. His help has been invaluable to me when I was prepping and having my car painted. Through his advice I was able to get the place that painted my car to completely redo it because I wasn't happy with it. He literally saved me thousands of dollars.

Don't be so quick to trash people because they don't agree with you or you don't like their attitude. People don't always have to agree.
AllyOlds68 it was not my intent to trash anybody and I don't think I did. There are different strokes for different folks is my point. I see by the number of post you have that you have been here a while. I think racing is the most important thing at ROP which is fine. I don't believe it is the #1 thing on this board. I think ROP serves some folks better and this board serves others better. There are a number of people that like both. I think a lot of people would have a higher opinion of ROP if they were able to join.

Last edited by redoldsman; April 5th, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:00 PM

By raise of hands, how many ROP'ers are unhappy with CO?
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:00 PM

There's been a tremendous influx of people from ROP to ClassicOlds in the last week. Most of the members of Classic Olds that are not on ROP don't know who they are. Some don't have the same screen names as ROP but I know their cars from the sig pics or even the town they're from. They bring a wealth of knowledge far beyond racing. They definitely bring a different attitude. Hopefully they survive here.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
By raise of hands, how many ROP'ers are unhappy with CO?
My quote from another ROP trashing session:

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I like the lawlessness of ROP and the relative civility of ClassisOlds.....
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:33 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Bottom line is,there is good,bad,handsome and ugly on both boards,ROP and CO.

Since were expressing how we feel...one thing that bothers me is when someone makes a comment or personal attack on a member that has been banned and the banned member can't get on to defend themselves.

Can't we all just enjoy our Oldsmobiles and get along?

When you combine so many different personalities and views in one place,there is bound to be conflict.

Good day all.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:37 PM
morgan

Haha...this is like high school
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:38 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I agree wholeheartedly w-30dreamin
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:50 PM

I like Yellowbullet.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:01 PM

I want to announce that I will soon have a ROP clone site up and running. I have a guy helping me get it set up and as soon as we can get the bugs worked out,I'll give out the URL address. I'm not competeting with ROP or CO,just the opposite,just another Olds site. The site already has a domain name and the site is built,it just doesn't have a server yet. It looks like ROP but uses the newer upgraded phpbb software and uses better registration protocol to help keep those bastard bots out. I want it to be registration/user friendly and everybody will be welcome. There is a reason for this site but I don't want to go into it @ this time. As soon as a server can be acquired,I will put it up. It will have an added feature that ROP/CO doesn't,there will be a forum for anything goes,politics,religion,dirty jokes,pretty women etc. The reason for that forum is,I don't want anybody complaining about having to read something they don't agree with. If you go in that forum,no reason to complain,you were warned. You can warn against no politics, no this or that but it always seems to find it's way into threads. If anything political etc. is posted in another forum,it's gone,deleted. I want everybody to enjoy it and have fun but when a liability issue comes up,it's also gone,deleted. I am doing this on my dime and I want to keep it that way. The phpbb software has the ability to let me or the moderators warn or ban members and I hope it doesn't come to that. I'm doing it the most economical way that I can in the beginning using the free phpbb software and economical server space that says it's unlimited but as with some servers ROP used,when it starts using a lot of bandwidth,it starts getting slooooow. To make sure you have enough server space,using a VPS(virtual private server) is the best way to go but is expensive. If the phpbb software doesn't do it's job,I may have to use the vbulletin software that CO uses and it's expensive for a free site. I know that ROP is being upgraded and will be back and I'm not doing this as a stop gap measure either because when ROP comes back,it shouldn't have the same problems it does now. It may work and it may not but I'm going to give it a try. Again,I'm not doing this out of spite or any reason other than giving the Olds community another alternative.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

So this is the corner the ROP troublemakers are hanging out on, huh?
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:08 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I want to announce that I will soon have a ROP clone site up and running. I have a guy helping me get it set up and as soon as we can get the bugs worked out,I'll give out the URL address. I'm not competeting with ROP or CO,just the opposite,just another Olds site. The site already has a domain name and the site is built,it just doesn't have a server yet. It looks like ROP but uses the newer upgraded phpbb software and uses better registration protocol to help keep those bastard bots out. I want it to be registration/user friendly and everybody will be welcome. There is a reason for this site but I don't want to go into it @ this time. As soon as a server can be acquired,I will put it up. It will have an added feature that ROP/CO doesn't,there will be a forum for anything goes,politics,religion,dirty jokes,pretty women etc. The reason for that forum is,I don't want anybody complaining about having to read something they don't agree with. If you go in that forum,no reason to complain,you were warned. You can warn against no politics, no this or that but it always seems to find it's way into threads. If anything political etc. is posted in another forum,it's gone,deleted. I want everybody to enjoy it and have fun but when a liability issue comes up,it's also gone,deleted. I am doing this on my dime and I want to keep it that way. The phpbb software has the ability to let me or the moderators warn or ban members and I hope it doesn't come to that. I'm doing it the most economical way that I can in the beginning using the free phpbb software and economical server space that says it's unlimited but as with some servers ROP used,when it starts using a lot of bandwidth,it starts getting slooooow. To make sure you have enough server space,using a VPS(virtual private server) is the best way to go but is expensive. If the phpbb software doesn't do it's job,I may have to use the vbulletin software that CO uses and it's expensive for a free site. I know that ROP is being upgraded and will be back and I'm not doing this as a stop gap measure either because when ROP comes back,it shouldn't have the same problems it does now. It may work and it may not but I'm going to give it a try. Again,I'm not doing this out of spite or any reason other than giving the Olds community another alternative.
if you have an '' anything goes'' forum...your just asking for trouble and fights and resentments...sounds like you want to to stir up the pot
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
if you have an '' anything goes'' forum...your just asking for trouble and fights and resentments...sounds like you want to to stir up the pot
You couldn't be more wrong about that. What's the difference?,you have arguing and bickering in threads here. At least there will be an area where it's contained. I'm not trying to make everybody happy,there's some that would biotch about being hung with a new rope. I would like for you to join but if you don't,I understand.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:21 PM
morgan

You couldn't be more wrong about that. What's the difference?,you have arguing and bickering in threads here. At least there will be an area where it's contained. I'm not trying to make everybody happy,there's some that would biotch about being hung with a new rope. I would like for you to join but if you don't,I understand.
hey it wouldnt bother me going down there and doin another abe lincoln all up in your face to put you back in your place
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:22 PM

It sounds like another highperformanceolds site. Rarely go there. Can't stand that dipshit Eric Bang or tedm.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:24 PM

hey it wouldnt bother me going down there and doin another abe lincoln all up in your face to put you back in your place
Come on it,I can take it. I post a lot on ROP and here some but I won't be posting there much if any,not the correct protocol.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:26 PM

It sounds like another highperformanceolds site. Rarely go there. Can't stand that dipshit Eric Bang or tedm.
Bill

Is that Trovato's site? I don't belong there so I'm not familiar with it.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:28 PM

Bill

Is that Trovato's site? I don't belong there so I'm not familiar with it.
Yep.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Yeah, hardly anyone posts there anymore except the foil-hat crew.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Yep.
Yeah thanks. I googled it and found it. I never joined there but don't really know anything about it but a few of the ROP regulars bashing Miller.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:37 PM
morgan

You rednecks are smarter than I thought
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:58 PM

You rednecks are smarter than I thought
We rednecks chew up and spit out yankees.

Quick Reply: What happened to the ROP site?