General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HEI distributor & OAI air cleaner clearance

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2011, 06:19 PM

HEI distributor & OAI air cleaner clearance

I want to add an HEI distributor, OAI hood with the proper air cleaner assembly and Edelbrock Performer cylinder heads and intake manifold to my Cutlass Supreme 350. I expect I will have clearance issues with this set up with both the distributor cap being too tall and possibly height differences with the heads and intake. Will I even be able to use the OAI set up with the Edelbrock equipment or do I need to choose one or the other. I don't want to purchase a hood and not be able to use it's intended function. Also will this be the same issue with the distributor?

Last edited by hinz57; April 4th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:53 PM

I have heard of people having problems with the distributor, and others claiming no interference. It must be close.

I don't know if it will fit your exact planned combination, but check out the alternative OAI adapter assembly sold through Dr. Decal. It's stamped steel instead of plastic and is intended to be used with taller intake manifolds and the stock OAI hood.
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM

the OAI pan will hit the distributor cap. i added the HEI to me Rallye 350 and went to a standard 4bbl cleaner base so i didn't have to cut an OAI base. you can cut the back out and fit the HEI but now i would just go with the stock distributor and add a pertronix. then you git rid of the points and can keep an uncut base on it.
i was told that the performer intake on a 350 will fit fine under an OAI hood with the correct air breather but you should use the foam seal from a 455. i have not tried it myself.