General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

K&N Air Cleaner or Stock Black Air Cleaner with spout?

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM

Question K&N Air Cleaner or Stock Black Air Cleaner with spout?

I was wondering if switching to the more open K&N air filter or using the stock filter. I am driving a 69 Cutlass with a 455. I also have the 70 422 Ram air hood.
Here is my car and engine pics: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/385541...mobile-cutlass Engine at bottom of page. Thanks
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Any way you can grab fresh intake air before the hot radiator is what you're wanting. I sometimes modify the stock air filter housing, and run a couple flex hoses through the fender wells. With your hood, maybe make this fresh air some way. Also, notice your engines a low compression 73'. Maybe consider some pistons and heads, followed by carb rejetting and distributor tuning. Not meaning to be a wet blanket, but you can spend a boat load of time/money on hard parts, with the little things really bringing the package together.
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Yeah I had one of those "open" air cleaners and where they look cool, they kill performance.

I would do a K&N filter in a dual snokel type stock air cleaner
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

K&N filters flow more air because they also flow more dirt. This has been proven in numerous tests - a simple Google search will show many, some of which are formally presented SAE papers. Use a good quality paper element and change it often.
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
Yeah I had one of those "open" air cleaners and where they look cool, they kill performance.
HUH? Maybe a small (9"x1"?) open style. If you use a 14x3 or bigger, you will see a performance gain.

Sorry Joe but I'm a big fan of K&Ns as long as they are properly maintained. Those tests make it sound like the K&Ns are letting the cylinder walls get sand blasted. I have yet to see that.
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Here are my two comments:
(1.) I have used K&N in my 94 Corvette and my 99 Expedition since they were very low mileage and they both have over 150,000 miles on them and neither of them smoke or use oil.
(2.) I bought a new Wix air filter for my wife's Lincoln a couple weeks ago. Right on the filter it says "Made in the USA". Love those Wix filters.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:05 AM

Yeah Ive been looking to boost my proformance on the '73. Im thinking about using my ram air hood to my advantage and sealing the aircleaner to the hood to get some ram air effect. I do love the look of the open air cleaner but if im sacrificing HP then I may need to rethink it.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/385541...mobile-cutlass
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
K&N filters flow more air because they also flow more dirt. This has been proven in numerous tests - a simple Google search will show many, some of which are formally presented SAE papers. Use a good quality paper element and change it often.
Really?

I've used K&N Filters in 4 vehicles over the last 20 years. I keep hearing rumors that they flow lots of dirt. I've off-roaded and driven in lots of dust. But every time I take the filter out, the intake is perfectly CLEAN compared to the exterior of the filter.