General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Carspotting -- Toronado and 442

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 09:13 AM

Carspotting -- Toronado and 442

Happened to see these two classics around town in the last two days.

The 442 was in a parking lot at a local Walmart. Not sure of the year ('72?).

The Toronado, which is a '79, was just parked on a side street and apparently seeing daily driver use. Didn't look too bad, considering, and could probably be made to look very nice with not much effort.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 19th, 2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

That is likely a fake '442' and I'm not that impressed with it. 72 tail lights, 71 grills, 69 air intakes on the hood, never ever option radio antenna on the fender. All W29 442's (71/72) also had Oldsmobile hood script and this one sure doesn't. Likely someone just stripped it down a base Cutlass and painted it satin black. Based on the stance and rear tires, I'm guessing someone has hopped up the engine/gears too.
The Toronado does look pretty nice though. Would look better with white wall tires IMO.
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Would look better with white wall tires IMO.
Absolutely, the wire wheels need white walls BUT the problem is they are getting VERY hard to find. Last time my Wife's Riviera needed tires we had to go with Cooper as they were the only white walls we could find. We had always had Michelins on the car prior to that and the Coopers are definitely a let down as far as ride and noise.
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by BillK
Absolutely, the wire wheels need white walls BUT the problem is they are getting VERY hard to find. Last time my Wife's Riviera needed tires we had to go with Cooper as they were the only white walls we could find.
I don't know what tire size you need, but I put these on my '78 Toro. They aren't the highest-end tires out there, but they do have a white sidewall, and they work well enough considering that this is not my daily driver. Custom 428 A/S. The size I bought is 225/75/R15.

https://www.bigotires.com/tires/sku/...00000001082483
Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:17 AM

It is fake 442. It was originally a red California two barrel cutlass. Yes the idea was to make a total hot rod that wasn't a mustang or comaro. It's mine. Junk yard project 2000. It was hot rodded many times before me. This is why i hate car tech boards and the internet in general. There is always some pompass numbers matching *** who would rather correct my grammer and spelling than give an answer. Or treat anyone with any kind of respect. It has a turbo 400 switchpitch with a jetaway convertor. It does have an aluminum top end. 3.90 rear end. Mostly fake aftermarket parts eaten limited slip ect. I mostly like to modify and work on carburetors and this is my test mule. I love it more than any of the other vintage cars i have owned.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by just primer
This is why i hate car tech boards and the internet in general. There is always some pompass numbers matching *** who would rather correct my grammer and spelling than give an answer. Or treat anyone with any kind of respect.
I'm sorry you bore the brunt of criticism. My intent in posting the photos was merely to show two old Oldsmobiles out and about in daily life, something that is now very rare, and nothing more. Good luck with your car.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:26 AM

It is fake 442. It was originally a red California two barrel cutlass. Yes the idea was to make a total hot rod that wasn't a mustang or comaro. It's mine. Junk yard project 2000. It was hot rodded many times before me. This is why i hate car tech boards and the internet in general. There is always some pompass numbers matching *** who would rather correct my grammer and spelling than give an answer. Or treat anyone with any kind of respect. It has a turbo 400 switchpitch with a jetaway convertor. It does have an aluminum top end. 3.90 rear end. Mostly fake aftermarket parts eaten limited slip ect. I mostly like to modify and work on carburetors and this is my test mule. I love it more than any of the other vintage cars i have owned.
Ignore the pompous ones on here, I like your car, AND, it is YOUR car do what you want with it and enjoy it!!!!! Not every single car has to be a numbers matching gem, drive 'em and love 'em, that's all.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:44 AM

I do appreciate the kind words. It does have a 455 out of a 74 toro. Machined and balanced. The th400 is from an old's. The rear is a 10 bolt from an old's. It was built from scratch by my self and was always meant to be rough. I was thinking rat rod before it became cool. It was a shell of a body in my friends junk yard. There was no trunk lid, no interior, dash and windsheild needed to be reolaceyd. No motor, or tranny.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:46 AM

Kind of cool how you got al the parts from various years to "make" your car, nice! The best part is you ( and I ) can say that we took them apart and put them back together. Way nicer "claim" than , "Oh , I bought this numbers matching car but I have no clue how to work on it."
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:40 AM
Gary

There is always some pompass numbers matching *** who would rather correct my grammer and spelling than give an answer. Or treat anyone with any kind of respect.
You have my apologies and those of most of the members on this site for your hot rod's not being treated with respect.

Most here are like me, very appreciative of anyone who puts in the effort to actually drive our classics. You can see by my pictures that I don't drive a factory clone either.

If you post questions, you will get straight-up answers. You won't hear from any posers.

This site has very few bashers and trolls.

Good job!
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:48 AM

By the way, way cool to steer away from a camaro or stang, waaaaay tooo many out there already.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:03 AM

I don't like the front wheel, it should be black like the rear, eh. Who cares what the rest of the hosers think, eh. I dont know what a Jetaway converter is but you had me at non-Camaro!
Old August 19th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Love your ride as well. I was in High School in the 80s and had sub $1000 vehicles (74 Malibu Classic and 77 Grand Prix SJ) I remember going to the junk yard anytime I needed a part and only hitting an Auto Parts store if all else fails. I remember both of them having mismatched wheels at times because I found a pair of rims/tires I liked that were too good a deal to pass up (at the time, we had to have as big a tires as we could on the back and air shocks for clearance). Thanks for speaking up.

Last edited by tsgutlass; August 19th, 2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old August 19th, 2019, 01:30 PM

I have no criticism for a ZFG build to just have fun. Only thing I would criticize, if I were, would be to not badge as a 442, but I am not criticizing. I also don't bust grammar unless someone is being an ***.

How quick is it?
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by boese1978
By the way, way cool to steer away from a camaro or stang, waaaaay tooo many out there already.
When I bought my 67 Vista Cruiser I wasn't really looking for an Oldsmobile, I have a 70 Chevelle SS and just sold a 69 Chevelle convertible, my friends have Chevelle station wagons so I was just looking for something different. When we are out

cruising together in our station wagons my Vista gets the most attention. My buddys 66 wagon is dressed like a Chevelle SS396, my other buddys 67 Chevelle is a super nice 300 Deluxe wagon, both are nicer than my car but mine gets the most attention. People walk up to my car and say they have never seen one or haven't seen one in years.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Toocool
When I bought my 67 Vista Cruiser I wasn't really looking for an Oldsmobile, I have a 70 Chevelle SS and just sold a 69 Chevelle convertible, my friends have Chevelle station wagons so I was just looking for something different. When we are out

cruising together in our station wagons my Vista gets the most attention.<--I am so sorry for you.
My buddys 66 wagon is dressed like a Chevelle SS396, my other buddys 67 Chevelle is a super nice 300 Deluxe wagon, both are nicer than my car but mine gets the most attention.<--You must feel terrible. People walk up to my car and say they have never seen one or haven't seen one in years.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 11:20 AM

Is that sarcasm? Hmmm, don't think I get. Whatever..
Old August 22nd, 2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Toocool
Is that sarcasm? Hmmm, don't think I get. Whatever..
It was intended to be humor. Your car is an eye catcher. The other two cars look like a "cheap imitation" of your car. I even like the wheels on your car better than theirs. Nice looking car !!!!!!!
.......Just my two cents worth.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
It was intended to be humor. Your car is an eye catcher. The other two cars look like a "cheap imitation" of your car. I even like the wheels on your car better than theirs. Nice looking car !!!!!!!
.......Just my two cents worth.
Thanks Ralph, I agree with everything you said
Old August 22nd, 2019, 12:52 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
The other two cars look like a "cheap imitation" of your car.
Completely disagree. I can't imagine anyone thinking the 66 wagon dressed up as a Chevelle SS396, or the 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe wagon were made to look like cheap imitations of a 67 Vista Cruiser. Both Chevelles are awesome, indeed; and, so is the Vista Cruiser. Love them all!
Old August 22nd, 2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Completely disagree. I can't imagine anyone thinking the 66 wagon dressed up as a Chevelle SS396, or the 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe wagon were made to look like cheap imitations of a 67 Vista Cruiser. Both Chevelles are awesome, indeed; and, so is the Vista Cruiser. Love them all!
The red 67 was a ground up frame off restoration, it is a very nice car that is just as nice underneath as it is on top, he just enjoys driving it a lot. The white 66 wasn't done to that level but was a rust free car that was completely disassembled and done right, I actually did all the bodywork and painted it for my buddy when I was still doing side jobs in my home shop. That's why I said they are both nicer than mine. I bought my car with its current paint job and I don't plan to repaint it even though it has some orange peel in the paint, I plan to drive the wheels off of it. Both of the Chevelles are mostly new from top to bottom, mine is mostly original just refurbished.