General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Carspotting -- Toronado and 442

Old May 19th, 2019, 09:13 AM

Carspotting -- Toronado and 442

Happened to see these two classics around town in the last two days.

The 442 was in a parking lot at a local Walmart. Not sure of the year ('72?).

The Toronado, which is a '79, was just parked on a side street and apparently seeing daily driver use. Didn't look too bad, considering, and could probably be made to look very nice with not much effort.

Last edited by jaunty75; May 19th, 2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

That is likely a fake '442' and I'm not that impressed with it. 72 tail lights, 71 grills, 69 air intakes on the hood, never ever option radio antenna on the fender. All W29 442's (71/72) also had Oldsmobile hood script and this one sure doesn't. Likely someone just stripped it down a base Cutlass and painted it satin black. Based on the stance and rear tires, I'm guessing someone has hopped up the engine/gears too.
The Toronado does look pretty nice though. Would look better with white wall tires IMO.
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
Would look better with white wall tires IMO.
Absolutely, the wire wheels need white walls BUT the problem is they are getting VERY hard to find. Last time my Wife's Riviera needed tires we had to go with Cooper as they were the only white walls we could find. We had always had Michelins on the car prior to that and the Coopers are definitely a let down as far as ride and noise.
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Absolutely, the wire wheels need white walls BUT the problem is they are getting VERY hard to find. Last time my Wife's Riviera needed tires we had to go with Cooper as they were the only white walls we could find.
I don't know what tire size you need, but I put these on my '78 Toro. They aren't the highest-end tires out there, but they do have a white sidewall, and they work well enough considering that this is not my daily driver. Custom 428 A/S. The size I bought is 225/75/R15.

https://www.bigotires.com/tires/sku/...00000001082483
Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:17 AM

It is fake 442. It was originally a red California two barrel cutlass. Yes the idea was to make a total hot rod that wasn't a mustang or comaro. It's mine. Junk yard project 2000. It was hot rodded many times before me. This is why i hate car tech boards and the internet in general. There is always some pompass numbers matching *** who would rather correct my grammer and spelling than give an answer. Or treat anyone with any kind of respect. It has a turbo 400 switchpitch with a jetaway convertor. It does have an aluminum top end. 3.90 rear end. Mostly fake aftermarket parts eaten limited slip ect. I mostly like to modify and work on carburetors and this is my test mule. I love it more than any of the other vintage cars i have owned.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by just primer View Post
This is why i hate car tech boards and the internet in general. There is always some pompass numbers matching *** who would rather correct my grammer and spelling than give an answer. Or treat anyone with any kind of respect.
I'm sorry you bore the brunt of criticism. My intent in posting the photos was merely to show two old Oldsmobiles out and about in daily life, something that is now very rare, and nothing more. Good luck with your car.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:26 AM

It is fake 442. It was originally a red California two barrel cutlass. Yes the idea was to make a total hot rod that wasn't a mustang or comaro. It's mine. Junk yard project 2000. It was hot rodded many times before me. This is why i hate car tech boards and the internet in general. There is always some pompass numbers matching *** who would rather correct my grammer and spelling than give an answer. Or treat anyone with any kind of respect. It has a turbo 400 switchpitch with a jetaway convertor. It does have an aluminum top end. 3.90 rear end. Mostly fake aftermarket parts eaten limited slip ect. I mostly like to modify and work on carburetors and this is my test mule. I love it more than any of the other vintage cars i have owned.
Ignore the pompous ones on here, I like your car, AND, it is YOUR car do what you want with it and enjoy it!!!!! Not every single car has to be a numbers matching gem, drive 'em and love 'em, that's all.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:44 AM

I do appreciate the kind words. It does have a 455 out of a 74 toro. Machined and balanced. The th400 is from an old's. The rear is a 10 bolt from an old's. It was built from scratch by my self and was always meant to be rough. I was thinking rat rod before it became cool. It was a shell of a body in my friends junk yard. There was no trunk lid, no interior, dash and windsheild needed to be reolaceyd. No motor, or tranny.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:46 AM

Kind of cool how you got al the parts from various years to "make" your car, nice! The best part is you ( and I ) can say that we took them apart and put them back together. Way nicer "claim" than , "Oh , I bought this numbers matching car but I have no clue how to work on it."
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:40 AM
Gary

There is always some pompass numbers matching *** who would rather correct my grammer and spelling than give an answer. Or treat anyone with any kind of respect.
You have my apologies and those of most of the members on this site for your hot rod's not being treated with respect.

Most here are like me, very appreciative of anyone who puts in the effort to actually drive our classics. You can see by my pictures that I don't drive a factory clone either.

If you post questions, you will get straight-up answers. You won't hear from any posers.

This site has very few bashers and trolls.

Good job!
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:48 AM

By the way, way cool to steer away from a camaro or stang, waaaaay tooo many out there already.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:03 AM

I don't like the front wheel, it should be black like the rear, eh. Who cares what the rest of the hosers think, eh. I dont know what a Jetaway converter is but you had me at non-Camaro!