72 Cutlass D.V.S. Lead - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > General > General Discussion
72 Cutlass D.V.S. Lead >

72 Cutlass D.V.S. Lead

General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 Cutlass D.V.S. Lead

Old July 7th, 2018, 10:45 AM

72 Cutlass D.V.S. Lead

Has anyone had an issue with these leads for the D.V.S. Lead connector to the vacuum switch? Mine has broken open and was wondering if there was any one out there that has a lead to a new one or how to repair the existing one. Or if this resistor really effects things if it is not in use. Obviously I would like to replace/or repair my existing one. Any help would be much appreciated ! Am I correct that this is 150 OHMs?

Thanks, Tony

Old July 7th, 2018, 10:57 AM

D.V.S. Lead resistor.

Hi all any help would be appreciated. This is regarding the D.V.S. lead to the vacuum switch behind the water neck on the manifold. The resistor wire has broken through and I need to replace it, or repair it. Does anyone know where to find this or if it is even available after market. Is the resistor even needed? The engine performance does not seem to be effected by it. I have included a picture of the resistor part I'm in need of. It is part number #8905847 IRC 150 Ohm ?

Old July 7th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

I merged your two identical threads. It is neither necessary nor in your best interest to ask the same question in different forums. You'll get a better answer sooner if all responses are kept in one thread, so incorrect info can be caught and corrected.

Unless you care about having the correct-appearing resistor, you can replace it with any 150 ohm resistor. The Packard 56 series terminals in the connector are readily available, so you can just re-crimp them.

You may know that this switch is part of the Transmission Controlled Spark system, which is an early emissions control system designed to reduce NOx emissions. Most people just disable it.
Old July 7th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Or if there is enough lead sticking out, you can solder it back together or onto the wire that's connected to the same terminal.