General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2023 Nats

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2023, 06:19 AM

2023 Nats

I would like to go to nationals this year if possible. I have never been so not sure what to expect. I have read through the information on the website but still unclear on the show classes part. Whether to enter a driver class or a judged class.
Is it typical to enter a driver class if you dont have a concourse level car or do really nice cars that arent at the top still enter judged classes? Not looking to win anything but having it judged would be interesting to get feedback. If you have been and seen what kind of cars are in the judged classes let me know.
Old June 11th, 2023, 06:30 AM

You don't have to have a perfect car to enter. They award a lot of awards. The lowest award, if I remember correct is a 3d place, and you have to have a lot wrong with your car to not get at least a 3d. Not sure I ever saw a car that did not place at least a 3d, maybe a display only? It's a good way to find out what you need to fix, if you want to make it better. If never done, I think you should do it at least one time.
Old June 11th, 2023, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 72Vert442
I would like to go to nationals this year if possible. I have never been so not sure what to expect. I have read through the information on the website but still unclear on the show classes part. Whether to enter a driver class or a judged class.
Is it typical to enter a driver class if you dont have a concourse level car or do really nice cars that arent at the top still enter judged classes? Not looking to win anything but having it judged would be interesting to get feedback. If you have been and seen what kind of cars are in the judged classes let me know.
There is a dealine to enter a car for showing. Not sure when it is but it's in June I think.
Old June 11th, 2023, 10:09 AM

X2.

The registration deadline is June 20.

Originally Posted by 442Harv
You don't have to have a perfect car to enter. They award a lot of awards. The lowest award, if I remember correct is a 3d place, and you have to have a lot wrong with your car to not get at least a 3d. Not sure I ever saw a car that did not place at least a 3d, maybe a display only? It's a good way to find out what you need to fix, if you want to make it better. If never done, I think you should do it at least one time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2023_Nationals.pdf (1.08 MB, 24 views)
Old June 11th, 2023, 10:56 AM

That helps. Another question is about car parking at night. Do most people that drive their cars to the event park at the hotel or on the grounds? Kind of wondering about security of the vehicles at night.
Old June 11th, 2023, 11:07 AM

Yes, if they are registered at the host hotel there is hotel parking like any other. If you don't register a car for the show, you can't park on the show field. If you register a car for the show, weather you stay at the host hotel or not, you can park on the show field day and night, and come and go as you please. Though, they do appreciate it if you come and go as little as possible.

People are walking on the show field most hours of the day from early morning to late evening, making it quite secure. However, I still lock my car when I'm not with it, except for show day which is Friday.
Old June 12th, 2023, 04:46 PM

We will have security on the showfield overnight as well. If you are on the showfield late at night or early in the morning, be prepared to show your badge/lanyard.

If you are not in the host hotel there will be a shuttle to the Courtyard - Dayton University Hotel.

Brian
Old June 12th, 2023, 07:28 PM

I would love to go - but unfortunately I have no way of getting my car there and back. No transporter will do the job. Can’t rent a tow vehicle AND a trailer unfortunately.
Old June 12th, 2023, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bigmikey65
Can’t rent a tow vehicle AND a trailer unfortunately.
This isn't quite true. I have seen people rent U-Haul trucks and U-haul car trailers.
They hook the trailer up to the truck and off they go.
Old June 12th, 2023, 08:04 PM

True. I probably should have stated that I prefer an enclosed trailer. Besides the obvious exposure to the elements and possibility of rain/hail is the danger real of a car getting damaged by pebbles/stones/road debris in an open trailer ? I have transported cars in enclosed trailers but never in an open one. I would think that a U-Haul truck would provide some protection to what is being towed behind it ?
Old June 13th, 2023, 02:05 PM

A car on an open trailer is actually pretty well protected. It’s certainly better protected than just driving on the road. Anything kicked up will hit the bottom of the trailer, the truck will hit anything before the car.

Obviously, there is nothing to protect the top of the car.
Old June 13th, 2023, 04:43 PM

One thing about a trailer. Years ago I was going to Seattle, had a new trailer ti me but was used. I never paid much attention about the tires, they were old , and going through central norther Cal, it was hot, 110 plus, and I blew a tire, and it was a steal radial, and the wires scratched the side of my car. Had to repaint, plus had to buy new tires when I was in Seattle, Wouold have been cheaper to buy tire before I left. Learned the hard way. Also when I bought a new trailer, made sure the fenders had inside panels. Have Hagerty, they were good and took care of the problem. Learned to check tire age, not treads.
Old June 13th, 2023, 05:53 PM

Thanks guys - appreciate the advice. A U-Haul box truck and trailer sounds like it will do the trick. I have a few days before the entry deadline to figure it out. I know the host hotel is sold out but they had a stand-by list in case of cancellations. Has anyone heard any updates on this ?
Old June 15th, 2023, 04:35 PM

As far as I am aware, there are still rooms available at both the Courtyard (937-220-9060) and at the Holiday Inn Express (937-250-6400)

Brian
Old June 15th, 2023, 07:30 PM

Since it's semi-related to the OP question, I'll add on here...

In looking at the classes, quite frankly I'm lost. Between junior and senior class, driver vs. the applicable for a particular car..what am I to fill out?

Also, is there anything happening at the site when not judging day? I'm not sure we'll be going to the events (Packard Museum/Air Force Museum/etc) so is it even worth driving down on Thursday? Also, on Saturday is the only happening the awards ceremonies? Being that I'll be driving an hour one way.. im not sure how practical it'd be to drive 2 hours round trip to pick up a participation award.

I'm used to Mopar Nats, where everything is onsite... so having offsite things is kinda throwing me for a loop.
Old June 15th, 2023, 08:59 PM

OCA Class descriptions

To brotherGood and others,
Junior classes are where vehicles enter unless the car has advanced at a prior Nationals. A Senior car has either been awarded a Best of Class (Junior) with more that 975 points or scored higher that 990 points. A Senior Preservation car has won a Best of Class in the Senior division. There is also a box on the form to check for “show only”. This means your car will be parked with the rest of your class but not judged. Unrestored vehicles that meet the criteria (In "Car Show Rules" on the OCA website under the judging tab) are in class 18. Class 20 is the Driver class. This division is not judged, and your vehicle must be driven to the show. If you have a question about which class your car belongs in, please contact me and I’ll help you out.

Brian McArthur
OCA Chief Judge
Chiefjudge@oldsmobileclub.org

Old June 16th, 2023, 08:53 AM

OCA judging is based on the buddy system.
Old June 16th, 2023, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by brotherGood
Also, is there anything happening at the site when not judging day? I'm not sure we'll be going to the events (Packard Museum/Air Force Museum/etc) so is it even worth driving down on Thursday? Also, on Saturday is the only happening the awards ceremonies? Being that I'll be driving an hour one way.. im not sure how practical it'd be to drive 2 hours round trip to pick up a participation award.

I'm used to Mopar Nats, where everything is onsite... so having offsite things is kinda throwing me for a loop.
brotherGood,
There is the swap meet, merchandise sales and silent auction all days onsite. Silent auction wraps up Sat late afternoon. The top and specialty awards are at the banquet. Also Sat morning there is an OCA general membership meeting and also awards pick up. And of course there are still a lot of cars on the show field Saturday, and I always enjoy looking at them and talking with the owners. Nationals may not be as close to you for a very long time, so hope you come back at least on Sat. Looking forward to seeing your 69 and hopefully meeting you as well.
Old June 16th, 2023, 10:16 AM

Speaking of towing, I just noticed that OCA now requires $112 to get your car into the show and park your trailer.

Old June 16th, 2023, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
Speaking of towing, I just noticed that OCA now requires $112 to get your car into the show and park your trailer.

oca is on life support.the Club is doomed because it is stuck in 1975
their so called discount room rate is higher than what you would pay online
If u bring a car I would suggest blocking it in because pro thieves use tow trucks
Old June 16th, 2023, 04:18 PM
Oldsdruid

New poster grinding axes, I see.

Originally Posted by vincetan
As an OCA Senior **edit- Master** Judge with a reputation of judging hard but fair, I take exception to that statement. It's why you cannot judge a class that you have a car in, or a class containing a car you've been involved in its restoration.

If u bring a car I would suggest blocking it in because pro thieves use tow trucks
Then run for an office or a zone director position and change it. Better than that go and volunteer to do overnight security.

Brian McArthur, you have a PM.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 17th, 2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old June 17th, 2023, 03:40 PM
Olds Fever

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE... My vehicle progressed through the class ranks from Junior to Senior Preservation and I never knew one single judge who was involved with the judging process....
Old June 17th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

So rather than complain, reserve a room yourself and don't use the event rate. That will be outside the OCA block and a room may be available. I got mine with Marriott points independent of the OCA block.
Old June 17th, 2023, 06:09 PM

Not complaining just stating facts
Old June 17th, 2023, 07:56 PM

Not complaining just stating facts
All 20 of your posts have been bitching, get bent.
Old June 18th, 2023, 03:49 AM

All people do on this board is attack each other.its kind of sad
Old June 18th, 2023, 04:24 AM
Bfg

Hit the road Jack!
Old June 18th, 2023, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE... My vehicle progressed through the class ranks from Junior to Senior Preservation and I never knew one single judge who was involved with the judging process....
Same here.
Old June 18th, 2023, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm not even sure what the "buddy system" is supposed to be. I've judged a couple of times at Nationals. There is usually a judging team for each class, composed of 3-5 people. The team lead will be experienced, but the others are frequently volunteers with who knows what experience or familiarity with the class being judged. Functions are split up among the team members (engine, interior, exterior, trunk, etc). Questions about correctness come up frequently and usually are discussed among the team. The problem is that depending on class size, there may not be much time for an in-depth evaluation. This is even more difficult when the weather turns south. I was judging the H/O class at Sturbridge in 2010. The first couple of cars got fairly detailed evaluations. Then the rain started. At the end of the day, all the children were above average.
Old June 18th, 2023, 05:31 PM

Since it's semi-related to the OP question, I'll add on here...

In looking at the classes, quite frankly I'm lost. Between junior and senior class, driver vs. the applicable for a particular car..what am I to fill out?

Everything except for racing is on site. The tours are optional

If you like Oldsmobile's and own one Id think you wouldn't need advice on attending.
Old June 18th, 2023, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Everything except for racing is on site. The tours are optional

If you like Oldsmobile's and own one Id think you wouldn't need advice on attending.
I think at this point we're going Thurs-Sat. Attending wasn't in question, I just wasn't sure if there'd be anything going on if we didn't do the tours.
Old June 18th, 2023, 05:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

I think at this point we're going Thurs-Sat. Attending wasn't in question, I just wasn't sure if there'd be anything going on if we didn't do the tours.
The good deals at the swap meet will be gone by then.
Old June 18th, 2023, 05:58 PM
Oldsdruid

Between the showfield, the swap meet, and the great new friends you'll make, there'll be plenty to do at the show site.

Suggestion to all CO folks. Make yourself a small name tag to go with your show credentials, i.e. "Brother Good on Classic Oldsmobile" . Might help people put a face and name together.