General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 Cutlass D.V.S. Lead

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2018, 09:45 AM

72 Cutlass D.V.S. Lead

Has anyone had an issue with these leads for the D.V.S. Lead connector to the vacuum switch? Mine has broken open and was wondering if there was any one out there that has a lead to a new one or how to repair the existing one. Or if this resistor really effects things if it is not in use. Obviously I would like to replace/or repair my existing one. Any help would be much appreciated ! Am I correct that this is 150 OHMs?

Thanks, Tony

Old July 7th, 2018, 09:57 AM

D.V.S. Lead resistor.

Hi all any help would be appreciated. This is regarding the D.V.S. lead to the vacuum switch behind the water neck on the manifold. The resistor wire has broken through and I need to replace it, or repair it. Does anyone know where to find this or if it is even available after market. Is the resistor even needed? The engine performance does not seem to be effected by it. I have included a picture of the resistor part I'm in need of. It is part number #8905847 IRC 150 Ohm ?

Old July 7th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

I merged your two identical threads. It is neither necessary nor in your best interest to ask the same question in different forums. You'll get a better answer sooner if all responses are kept in one thread, so incorrect info can be caught and corrected.

Unless you care about having the correct-appearing resistor, you can replace it with any 150 ohm resistor. The Packard 56 series terminals in the connector are readily available, so you can just re-crimp them.

You may know that this switch is part of the Transmission Controlled Spark system, which is an early emissions control system designed to reduce NOx emissions. Most people just disable it.
Old July 7th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Or if there is enough lead sticking out, you can solder it back together or onto the wire that's connected to the same terminal.
Old January 5th, 2020, 09:26 AM
'72 Cutlass Supreme (WIP)

I know this is an old, dead thread, but where does this connector plug in??? Mine is burnt up so I cut and sealed the green and black wire, and threw the connector and resistor in the trunk for now. According to the diagram, it connects to the trans, but those pics don't really look like it. I circled the spot on the diagram (bottom left) in the attached pic. My trans isn't shifting out of first gear when driving, is this why?

Last edited by UrbanCommando; January 5th, 2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Add pictures.
Old January 5th, 2020, 10:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

The factory wiring diagram is correct.

The Transmission Controlled Spark system is an early emissions control system that disables vacuum advance in lower gears for reduced NOx emissions. It has nothing to do with how the transmission upshifts. A trans that won't upshift except at wide open throttle usually has the vacuum modulator line disconnected or a bad modulator. Start by looking there.

For more info on TCS, start here.
Old January 5th, 2020, 10:39 AM
'72 Cutlass Supreme (WIP)

Sounds good, thank you! I do remember there being a vacuum hose under the car that slipped off, hopefully it's actually working once I put it back on.

I'm not even sure where that plug I cut out is supposed to go. I'm not seeing any port or place for it in my engine bay. But I guess it doesn't matter since I cut it out! Time to put stuff back in and test. Thank you again!
Old January 5th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Administrator

The part that plugs into actually serves 2 purposes, 1 as explained above and 2 it will open the vacuum line providing manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance if the engine temp reaches a certain level to advance timing and increase engine rpm. Also as Joe stated above, your vacuum modulator is not connected, vacuum line is leaking, or modulator is bad on the trans.
Old June 18th, 2023, 02:43 PM

Mine broke completely off, so totally disconnected. Can I just disable it by not fixing the plug? Leaving all the other hoses connected?
Thanks

QUOTE=joe_padavano;1107396]I merged your two identical threads. It is neither necessary nor in your best interest to ask the same question in different forums. You'll get a better answer sooner if all responses are kept in one thread, so incorrect info can be caught and corrected.

Unless you care about having the correct-appearing resistor, you can replace it with any 150 ohm resistor. The Packard 56 series terminals in the connector are readily available, so you can just re-crimp them.

You may know that this switch is part of the Transmission Controlled Spark system, which is an early emissions control system designed to reduce NOx emissions. Most people just disable it.[/QUOTE]
Old June 18th, 2023, 04:45 PM
Administrator

If you disable it you need to supply vacuum to the advance can by bypassing the valve.