General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Should I use a battery warmer or trickle charger?

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2017, 06:26 AM

Should I use a battery warmer or trickle charger?

It's suddenly damn cold here in Long Island. My cars kept in the garage and I try to drive it at least once a week even through the winter, or if nothing else at least let it run for 15 or so minutes weekly. But it does get tougher to start the colder it is, and I'm concerned if I miss a week or two it won't start at all. I didn't have any issues last winter, but concerned for this one for some reason. I still plan to drive the car as much as possible, as long as there's no wet stuff.
Old December 14th, 2017, 07:05 AM

There are so many factors that determine ease of starting; one certainly is the speed at which the starter motor turns the engine. If you feel that the speed is suffering from some weakness in the battery, by all means, do whatever you can to provide aid. A heater and a trickle charger may make a difference. Neither should do any harm except to your wallet.
Old December 14th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Or give it a shot of starting fluid, that usually gets things going and it keeps you from grinding the starter and battery to death.... Tedd
Old December 14th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Northern Tools sells a battery maintainer which they often have on sale for $25. I have a couple of them and they work very well.
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:14 AM

I got a small charger / maintainer from Lowes for just under $20 and liked it so much I got a second for another vehicle and bought one for a relative.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Schumacher-...ainer/50256403
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:45 AM
delete

Originally Posted by PM70
I still plan to drive the car as much as possible, as long as there's no wet stuff.
Just remember that just because there isn't any snow on the ground at that moment doesn't mean winter roads can't do damage. Once they salt the roads that stays there until we get a good dousing of rain to wash it away.
Old December 14th, 2017, 09:04 AM

It certainly wouldn't hurt, some folks swear by them others like me have them and almost never use them.
Old December 14th, 2017, 09:22 AM

Why it can be challenging to start these cars in our neck of the woods this time of season, it should be no different than last year. A battery tender is a great tool and highly recommended, but make sure your battery has not reached it's limit. I remember years back you could buy a 5 year/60 month battery, now I find it challenging to find a 4 year/ 48 month unit that actually lasts that long. Tight and proper size cables from the battery to the negative and starter are important as well. You are right to be concerned as a weak battery will cause a lower voltage which will burn up a starter in no time.
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:08 PM

I use a battery disconnect and recommend it to anyone. I have a K Mart warranty battery, Duralast, I think, running 13 years now. I have an Autozone battery of same time that also is still ok, but it is actually disconnected, like remove cable, except when ran, too.
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:43 PM

I would highly recommend a battery tender. I've been using one for years. A neg cutoff switch is a good suggestion too. The good thing about these old cars is they don't have a lot of electronics that draw on the battery.
I would also recommend a AGM battery if you need a new one. These don't have the dreaded leaking issue of the traditional wet/flooded batteries. No more rotted out core support under the battery

Pepboy's is running a special on Bosch AGM batteries now, 25% off. Sadly batteries are not cheap any more...

https://www.pepboys.com/search/?term=bosch+agm
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:11 PM

Battery tender/maintainer, as others have properly advised, is good insurance against a dead battery.

Also, as has been stated, is battery now on its last leg due to old age? If so, nothing will overcome that circumstance.
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:49 PM

You can get a battery tender for under $10 at Harbor Freight. I have several in use during the winter months: 442, sport bike, and lawn tractor. I've been using these same devices for several years now, and my equipment never fails to start.
Old December 14th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Olds Fever

I keep 2 amp chargers hooked to most all my vehicles in the shop... I do this year round and have them attached to timers so that they are not operating 24/7...
Old December 14th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by eric-s.
A neg cutoff switch is a good suggestion.
Good point. Using a negative cutoff switch shuts off the clock for the winter.
Old December 16th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Thanks for all the good advice all! After a few days of bitter cold I went out and she started right up. The battery's less than a year old but was completely discharged and recharged once. I also once used a portable charger to jump the battery and the charger blew right up due to the long crank time, so Im just looking to be extra cautious... Appreciate the info!
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Good point. Using a negative cutoff switch shuts off the clock for the winter.
The clock doesn't shut off, it goes into hibernation!!
Old December 16th, 2017, 06:58 PM

I've had great luck using Deltran Battery Tenders, they are a float charger so you can leave them connected all winter if need be. I got tired of having to buy a new lawnmower battery every year so I tried the battery tender Jr. That worked so well I bought the larger one for my summer car.