General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Which JB Weld product is it??

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2016, 06:33 AM

Which JB Weld product is it??

Hi everybody

Several of thread are about heat riser and crossover delete. I am about to fit these crossover plugs to my heads, but to try to eliminate rattle from them going loose (if they do), I thought I might applie some High temp JB Weld. BUT JB Weld isnt on the shelf here, but can be ordered online. As I cant find an alternative chemical metal that withstand high temperatures, I will stick to the JB Weld idea, but Exactly which JB Weld product is it you guys refere to for this type of job??

Thanks
Old September 26th, 2016, 05:43 AM

Jan, I don't suggest using JB Weld or another high temp epoxy in the exhaust cross over of your Olds. In an old thread there were folks that got a high temperature epoxy to fill the exhaust cross over. It didn't work too well. Check it out:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...echniques.html
Old September 26th, 2016, 08:35 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

No epoxy will withstand that thermal environment...to my knowledge. Get the cast iron plugs. Weld them into the (cast iron) intake. Less chance of doing something to the heads and easier to reverse if ever needed. Recess the plugs into the crossover ports about a fat 1/8" (3-4mm) and weld. You can just tack them in verses full perimeter weld. I did full perimeter weld as I wanted zero paint burn and 100% seal off. I used the Mondello iron plugs. Dont forget to remove the stove flap from the drivers side manifold and weld up those holes...if your using the OEM exhaust manifolds.
Old September 26th, 2016, 01:46 PM

I must admit, I MIGHT have misunderstood some of the older thread I read in here, as I had the understanding, that these plugs where grind to fit tight, tapped in and either secured with a drilled/threaded/screw in between plug and head or inlet, OR smeared with JB Weld and then hammered in the hole.

But I do understand what you say. Its all iron, and my inlet will have a watertemp bung welded into it anyway, so might as well have the plug welded into the manifold anyway as you suggest.
Question: welding cast iron, in this case the manifold, isnt it a process of heating the manifold, using some special welding wire??

I have had my eyes on Jegs EDELBROCK crossover plug for this project, do you know it they fit ?? I guess they are both universal grind to fit.

I am loosing the OE manifolds and will go dual exhaust with Ross Racing turbular manifolds, so heatriser valve have been removed.
Old September 26th, 2016, 01:58 PM

By the way.. Regarding My first post... I wouldnt FILL it in the heads. From what I read here and there, crossover plugs should be fitted together with JB Weld as anti-plug-come-loose glue.
Old September 26th, 2016, 06:29 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Typically yes special prep is needed to weld cast. But in the case of the intake I simply MIG welded them into the intake. I did heat the area and let it equalize before setting fire to the wire. 15years and still goin. The drill tap and set screw is another decent method but you need to know what your doin with either method. Not familiar with ebrock plugs. Call and speak with tech and ask if they are for Olds or is it a will fit. I'd recommend Olds specific. The tighter the fit the better. Less grinding makes the job much easier. Clean the intake up with a die grinder before any welding...standard weld prep.

Last edited by droldsmorland; September 27th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:45 PM

thankyou for your input.
Old September 27th, 2016, 05:15 AM

Here are the exhaust crossover plugs from Jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2733/10002/-1

They are meant to be filed to fit the exhaust crossover. Just drive them in with a hammer and you will be fine. Some folks have mentioned that they work loose though, so Dr. Olds' idea of welding the cross over might work better if you have the skill and equipment.
Old September 27th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Plan A was the easy way, file hammer maybe JB Weld, but I DO have the facility and colleague to assist if needed, when welding in the plugs, so I might just as well do that.

Thank you once again. I appreciate it