General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

wood burning heater experiences

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2013, 04:57 PM

remember to leave a window cracked or door cracked and buy your self a carbon monoxide detector just in case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_detector
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

yeah my garage is decently ventilated and I know better than to run those things with no ventilation.
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:18 PM

Just a comment. I used kerosene, and propane heaters and they warm things up nice. That is if you like working with a headache from the fumes even with the doors cracked open. Also, kerosene and propane cause water vapor in the air and heating things up quickly will make your car and tools sweat badly. Not good. I now use a wood pellet stove and everything is bone dry. Wood stoves would be the same. I just thought I would add this from experience.
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:29 PM

btw guys thanks a lot for the input. It really made me realize how not easy it was to do a wood burning stove. I have no doubts I could do it right but I want to do it as safe as possible and take my time setting things up and it's just not possible with the space and money I have. I have 300 to drywall my ceiling in the garage to keep some heat where I need it . I priced that out and that's 150 the heater is gonna be a trade and that leaves me with 150 for a new workbench and a tool cart.
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yes, it sucks living in a Northern climate. I can get my shop to a whooping 10 above freezing. That is 3 heaters and tarping over the crappy flip up door. I had a wood stove in my similar old shop, only helped a bit. My other 37.5' x 12' shop that had well sealed doors, no insulation but totally dry walled, only needed a space heater to stay above freezing.
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If this is a jet-engine-looking thing, it is a blunt instrument but will work well.
We call them "salamanders," but I don't know why.

As stated, they can be quite noisy, while a wood or coal stove is dead quiet, but there's something to be said for the convenience of liquid fuels.

- Eric
That's what we call them too. IMHO aside from them sounding like you're working on a runway, the smell isn't the greatest in the world but they do put out the heat
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:29 AM

I don't mind the noise. I work in a body shop so I hear the compressor all day, or all the noise I make with my griders or the radio blasting.