opinions/stories/ general experiences wanted:

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

opinions/stories/ general experiences wanted:

Ok, time is getting close to start turning a wrench on my 64 coupe. I went through many iterations and settled on the appropriate scenario : cheap. Under the hood it just looks so clean and simple. I don't really want to spoil it but I want to hear opinions on keeping the car all stock or adding PS and PDB.

This car will see light duty around town to cruise nights and burger joints no track duty and probably not even freeway.

Lay it on me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130713_154123.jpg (85.9 KB, 56 views)
20130716_191645.jpg (75.1 KB, 53 views)
P1010003.jpg (83.2 KB, 58 views)
P1010016.jpg (93.9 KB, 50 views)
P1010023.jpg (95.7 KB, 49 views)
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Administrator

I would leave it just as it is. I don't mind drum brakes, nor the fact it does not have any power anything. It's soooo much simpler to repair. Plus your not racing it. I would invest in cleaning, restoring, and possibly some nice period correct performance items.

Then I would invest on the interior and exterior cleanup and restore, and possibly put some wheels and tires on it.

But , that's me.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
delete

If you are comfortable driving it as is no need to change but keep in mind in a panic stop if everyone else needs 100 ft to stop you don't want to be the guy that needs 120 ft.
Even if you stick with the manual drum you should consider a dual reservoir master cylinder just for safety.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:20 AM

i would do what ever you feel you want . I also have a bare to the bones f85 and will eventually upgrading to ps pdb ac and front end . the car always drove and handled nice but the way a lot of ppl drive I want my car to be safer. but like I said you do what you feel is right its your car
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:54 AM

I like updating my car to have the luxuries I want. I'll be buried in my car so I dont care what it's worth.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Paint and chrome polish, interior detail , engine compartment detail, fix drivers seat. Replace hoses/belts as needed and call it done. (which it has done a wonderful job doing considering its age)

Here's an interesting article that's right in line with your quandry. From Car Craft - 1964 f85 Budget build
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:25 PM

Keep it coming, gang. Thanks for the input so far. At the very least I'm thinking PDB to stop and leaving manual steering. Spend a few bucks on carpet and seats, re-chrome the bumpers and Bob's yer uncle. I plan to get it in the garage shortly and start detailing.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:40 PM

I like to update things that'll keep me and my fellow drivers safer. Brakes, handling, tires, such things. Personal opinion, of course, and I'm using my car as a daily driver.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM

I would upgrade to a dual master cylinder and check out the rest of the brake system if you don't do a full brake upgrade. And go through the suspension parts. Great survivor, I like your plan to keep it cheap and simple like it started life. I would just want to be confident it will stop and steer with all the yahoos on the roads.

Or go crazy and drop in a big motor for the ultimate sleeper
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:47 PM

If you are not driving it in heavy traffic, just occasional cruising, I wouldn't worry with pS or PDB. Like said above, install a dual master cyl., make sure brake system is almost new condition, make it safe pretty and start driving it. With the dual master if something does fail you will have half brakes. Drive it like it was designed to be driven.
Don't tailgate. Enjoy it and then decide on improvements.
I don't have an uncle Bob.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:16 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by m371961
If you are not driving it in heavy traffic, just occasional cruising, I wouldn't worry with pS or PDB. Like said above, install a dual master cyl., make sure brake system is almost new condition, make it safe pretty and start driving it. With the dual master if something does fail you will have half brakes. Drive it like it was designed to be driven.
Don't tailgate. Enjoy it and then decide on improvements.
I don't have an uncle Bob.
this.....and just clean it up as you can. Great project!!

PS don't you dare change the wheel combo
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Administrator

What about Bob... Nice article Allan.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:18 PM

When I rebuild the brakes I will be redoing all of the lines - hard and soft. The car's been sitting for 20 years. The wheels and tires you see on it were my choice. Wheel Vintiques 15's powder coated gunmetal grey with a new set of cooper cobras. I'm a steelies and dog dish kind 'o' guy. I need to have the rest of the car catch up with my brand new wheel and tire combo...
Those are '65 caps tho - still looking for a nice set of '64 pc's.

I am open to suggestions, keep the tips coming.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:13 PM

I'm getting to be an old fart, and that quick ratio power steering, plus power disc brakes are feeling nicer all the time. I'm guessing your 1964 steering box is something like 4 1/2 turns lock to lock, vs. something closer to 3 I can do with one hand, without Popeye arms. I've converted several cars over but I am keeping the manual parts under a workbench in the corner of the garage. Someday... if I ever decide to change it back I can do so as these swaps don't cut or permanently modify anything.

One more thought... will you be the only person driving this or will your wife sometimes drive it? That might make a lot of difference to her even if your comfortable without it. What's the phrase, happy wife makes a happy life?
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
One more thought... will you be the only person driving this or will your wife sometimes drive it? That might make a lot of difference to her even if your comfortable without it. What's the phrase, happy wife makes a happy life?
First off - it's not the age, it's the mileage!
My wife prefers the passenger seat. Very likely she will never need to drive it unless I pass out from exertion at work...
I am likely going to just swap out my 4GC carb for a freshly rebuilt one. It's actually cheaper to replace it with a rebuilt from ebay $300 than having mine rebuilt locally $500. I still need an air cleaner base. C'mon John! you must have one in yer pile 'o' goodies!

By the way Allan, that was a killer article in Car Craft...

Last edited by Napoleon Solo; October 23rd, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Registered Luser

No to power steering....I would install a booster and dual master, but keep the drums...you will notice a huge improvement there....and if you are changing all the rubber parts in your brake system, and all new hard lines, might as well go DOT 5 IMO....won't absorb moisture!
Old October 31st, 2013, 08:26 AM

Decisions made...

Ok, I think I have a plan of action now. Thanks for all of the input. I've decided to keep the manual steering as is and beef up the braking system with a dual master and booster and switching to discs.
No more excuses - time to get dirty....
Old October 31st, 2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Did you get your MAW helmet?
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Did you get your MAW helmet?
I am already training myself to say NO! I'm building up my resistance by denying myself candy...

I was a bit surprised ( in a good way) as to how inexpensive a stainless brake line kit costs. Granted it's just two or three small bent tubes but a complete system front to back is about $200. I ordered it today and put my name in for a good disc kt. I'm paying a little more - about $600 but it's not made of chinesium - it is made in Virginia or Ohio. Can't remember the make - been a long day - but it's complete.

A cat - back exhaust system is going to run me about $600 too. Probably 2 inch Magnaflow with stock manifolds. Any experiences in this area would be appreciated too.

The fun starts this weekend!