General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

heater core brands

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM

heater core brands

I see some heater core threads popping up and it got me thinking. Has anyone used the inline tube heater cores? I picked one up at the nationals for my W-30. Now I am wondering if i should have just had my original record? As hard as it is to install one and the risk of one leaking on a newly restored car make me ask the question of how good the inline tube core is.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I wouldn't have any hesitation using it Eric. They're likely made by the same manufacturer and sold by numerous vendors. Is there something about the look or quality of the new core that gives you cause to doubt it? IMO it would likely cost more to recore your OEM than buying a new one.

EDIT: If you're not sure about it's function? Pressure test it first.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Any radiator shop could likely pressure test it for you before you go to the work of installation, probably take them less than ten minutes.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM

I can pressure test it myself but Just concerned. I have been haunted with an enormous amount of bad parts from the parts store lately. in the past 6 months i have had 3 bad fuel pumps, 2 bad power steering pumps, bad starter, bad crank position sensor, and a bad throttle position sensor. These were all new in the box and junk. came from Advance Auto, Napa, and Car Quest. NOTHING from the local parts stores are going on my W-30. I will either have my part rebuilt or get it from a restoration place. I have had real good luck with Fusick and inline tube parts so i will continue with them. I have no reason to think this core is bad but i am just spooked.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Understandable. I've had a bit of quality control from NAPA, but for the most part they're ok. I've used Fusick and ILT for a lot of my parts. I don't like Fusicks high cost of shipping, especially when ILT can send me more for less and better packed too. I'm sure everyone has their issues with suppliers, but DANG! Eric you hit the motherload with all those locally sold bad parts. I'll likely be changing out my heater core next summer since it'll be 42 years old. Maybe I'll take it in for testing and rebuild - we'll see. But I wouldn't have any hesitation buying an ILT heater core and using it either.
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Administrator

IMHO if a heater core leaked due to corrosion, it will leak again after it's repaired. I would rather take my chances with a new one. I'll repair radiators because they are easy to get to, heater cores are another story. I'm with the OP on quality parts so as not to have to do it over again that particular job with A/C is a pain in the ****. I would think the inline tube part is of decent quality.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
NOTHING from the local parts stores are going on my W-30. I will either have my part rebuilt or get it from a restoration place.
thats a shame because depending on what you are buying from the resto places, it's the EXACT same thing you can get at your local parts store or even through Jegs/Summit. (well, you will pay more through the resto places) Been there, done that. I did my research and bought the EXACT same things cheaper elsewhere.

However, I will agree that there are certain items that I would much rather rebuild the original item than replace it. Although that brings up other issues such as finding those parts to perform a rebuild are hard to find, which Joe P started a thread on a few months back.
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
thats a shame because depending on what you are buying from the resto places, it's the EXACT same thing you can get at your local parts store or even through Jegs/Summit.
That is where I am in luck from when I bought out the barn find. This guy had almost all the ball joints, bushings. steering parts, and many other parts that he had already bought many years ago. Almost all the parts he had were NOS or USA made parts store parts. This heater core brand is likely available other places but I sold Inline tube some parts when I bought this and only have about $10 in it.
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:47 AM

I have a NOS heater core that I would sell.

Fits 70-72 with A/C.
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM

I bought a heater core from an Olds vendor, and the inlet and outlet pipes didn't match my original, so I had mine recored..
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I bought a heater core from an Olds vendor, and the inlet and outlet pipes didn't match my original, so I had mine recored..
How much did it cost?
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM

I haven't had any issues with the Advance store on Wabash in Terre Haute.
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:45 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Caveat emptor....IE:chinaesium junk. Unfortunately not easy to avoid.