General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Windshield Washer Pump Replacement 72 CS

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2018, 11:07 AM

Windshield Washer Pump Replacement 72 CS

I need to replace the windshield washer pump in my '72 Cutlass Supreme. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice before I do the job. I found a replacement at The Parts Place.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old January 27th, 2018, 12:46 PM

I haven't replaced one since the 80s, but from what I remember it's a straight-forward unbolt the old and bolt in the new job.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 04:34 AM

Pump Replaced...still not working

I replaced the pump....it was a straight forward replacement. However, it still isnt working. I have checked to make sure the lines are clear and can hear the soft clicks of the pump when activated. Do you have to prime the pump? If so how?

Thanks again.
Will
Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is a somewhat fussy alignment procedure required to get the pump drive features lined up with the gear pawl on the motor. If this isn't done right, the pump will not work. The process involves locking the pump drive in a specific position with a gauge pin. It's described in the Chassis Service Manual.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There is a somewhat fussy alignment procedure required to get the pump drive features lined up with the gear pawl on the motor. If this isn't done right, the pump will not work. The process involves locking the pump drive in a specific position with a gauge pin. It's described in the Chassis Service Manual.
Thanks Joe. The only thing I can find in the CSM regarding the windshield washer is the troubleshooting guide on 12-47. I have seen some electric replacement pumps that closely resemble the OEM. Im not sure if they make one for my 72 but may look and go that route.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Will22
Thanks Joe. The only thing I can find in the CSM regarding the windshield washer is the troubleshooting guide on 12-47. I have seen some electric replacement pumps that closely resemble the OEM. Im not sure if they make one for my 72 but may look and go that route.
Depending on the model year, the wiper disassembly instructions may be in the Fisher Body Manual. There's an indexing hole that you are supposed to insert a pin into to align the pump drive before installation.

Trico makes the electric pump. P/N 11-515. Available from Amazon, RockAuto, etc.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Depending on the model year, the wiper disassembly instructions may be in the Fisher Body Manual. There's an indexing hole that you are supposed to insert a pin into to align the pump drive before installation.

Trico makes the electric pump. P/N 11-515. Available from Amazon, RockAuto, etc.

Thanks again Joe. Always appreciate your help!
Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:57 AM

Parts Place sells the exact replacement. Part number WW4361Z for 45.00. I bought one for my 442 and just a few months ago for my 71 Convertible. It is one of the rare instances where a repro is even better than the factory as you don't have to index it. It just bolts on and it was squirting fluid after the second push on the button. The hose attachment fitting is the correct white piece, although I changed it to a right angle from straight to be like the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180203_124018.jpg (1.64 MB, 18 views)