Windshield Washer Pump

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Windshield Washer Pump

Today I finished restoring my 442 wiper motor; splicing in new wires, replacing the terminal board and gear shaft. I put it on my SX to test out and happily it worked. However, not so lucky with the washer. The 442 pump operates and you can see the piston going up and down in the white cylinder but no fluid is pushed through the hoses. I then put the SX washer pump on the 442 wiper motor and it worked. So I presume the washer fluid is bypassing the piston seal. Correct?
Are these white washer pump units available?
Also, it's been so long since I used the washers on my SX, I forget if the wipers are suppose to shut off after the washers have finished squiritng. I kind of think they aren't as the wiper switch is in the low speed position and therefore has to continue operating. Right?
At some point in the 70's they designed these wipers that do shut off after a couple of passes after the washers are done. I just want to make sure my SX and 442 wipers are operating as designed. Appreciate any help on these questions.
Old March 31st, 2018, 05:08 PM

1972 GM washer pump

I have read the posted but my problem seems to be different? The wiper motor runs on low and high speed but the washer pump did not pump, so I got a new washer pump and now it pumps the fluid but it doesn't shut off until I turn off the switch. It also doesn't pump fluid unless I move the arm back out of the slot in the plastic gear. The pump also works the same way as above with the plug disconnected from the pump?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! this is driving me nuts!! I have grounded the motor and washer pump and that has done nothing.