General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why are people such gigantic jerks?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2012, 06:45 PM
1974 DELTA 88

I don't know what is wrong with people. I've had my trucks windshield smashed (parked in front of my house at the time), radio antenna snapped off and thrown on the ground by the truck, CB antenna wiring messed with. One car I had, someone musta had pliers with them and bent the hood release latch. I was shocked when I tried to open the hood. I'll never understand it, but it sure pisses me off.
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stevec
That really sucks! Guys at work always ask me why I don't drive my car to work and I tell em cause no one respects anyone's car in the parking lot.
Amen to that, for sure. There are also certain cultures that have no respect for others' property, and a car is "supposed to get banged up over its lifetime". Don't ask which ones, as I will not tell. I saw this from the ten years I worked for my last company. I saw these people damage other cars on accident, "don't care" style, and intentionaly. I had some dents to the Caddy from there, had to do some paybacks, and had to leave notes on damaged cars indicating what I saw or who did it.
Ironically, the 5 years I parked at the train station, I had NO issues at all, either seen or experienced! Go figure; people think train stations are not safe to park at...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
1971 Cutlass S

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
I use American Modern Classic auto insurance through USAA Savings Bank. I pay $165 / year and am allowed 5,000 miles car is valued at $10K. I can add value to the car as improvements come and I can add miles if I need or want to. They're really reasonable...and have roadside assistance too. You ought to check them out.

Steve
Thanks for the info, I called and they are like all other classic car insurers - they will not insure a daily driver classic car, and the modern car insurance companies wont insure a classic car for more than liability. I just have to make sure I never get in an accident, or at least that it is the other guys fault.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bunser
Well, you needn't sugar coat it! Environmentalists? Really?
Or Volt owners, apparently...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldsManNJ
the modern car insurance companies wont insure a classic car for more than liability.
Never heard of this - State farm will do it.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:31 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Never heard of this - State farm will do it.
I did call State Farm two years ago when I bought the car, and they said they would not be able to insure it for value with collision as a daily driver - that the car was too old. I will call them again today, and see what they say. Maybe the agent I got was an ***.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Remember, the same insurance companies in different states will do vastly different things.

And I would hazard to guess that there are not many regulatory environments more different than NJ and Texas.

- Eric
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM

The bad thing about having your classic car insured a regular car insurance company is that most will severely undervalue your car if you ever got into an accident.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
i believe that a sizable chunk of the population should be removed for the good of the rest of the population.

Larry
totally agree!!!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 70olds455
The bad thing about having your classic car insured a regular car insurance company is that most will severely undervalue your car if you ever got into an accident.
Exactly. So where you drive and the chances of getting in a wreck needs to be considered.
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Just getting around to catch up on all what's new,I hate to read about such a stupid act of Vandalism,I also have had S#@%heads mess with my cars,and yes would love to catch that S#@%head in the act,at an early age my Father taught me NEVER EVER mess with a Mans Car!! He always said it is( MANS LAW) i teach it to my Children,maybe Parents forgot to teach it to thier Kids,Spare the Rod Spoil the Child!
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
i believe that a sizable chunk of the population should be removed for the good of the rest of the population.

Larry
x2 !
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM

I did call State Farm two years ago when I bought the car, and they said they would not be able to insure it for value with collision as a daily driver - that the car was too old. I will call them again today, and see what they say. Maybe the agent I got was an ***.
I've had mixed issues with State Farm. No issues with me agents in Falmouth, Maine. But the calims adjusters (in Maine), a very immature,
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:14 AM

That sucks. I can’t imagine your frustration, I’m the same. I’m always wary of something like that happening with my car. I have the classic car insurance by The Hartford and you might find it amusing, but I’ve opted for the comprehensive coverage along with uninsured motorist AND full glass. You can never be too safe! I hope your insurance covers it without any problem.
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Very sorry to hear about this! Some people have to respect for others. I hope your insurance covers the damage with as little headache as possible!
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:52 AM

thats terrible

people dont have any respect these days.
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Runner

Today actually I just called state farm to cancel my liability only ($270/yr) on my 72 Cutlass and went with Hagerty. For $260/yr Hagerty is giving me the same liability and also $15000 on the car. No mileage limitation either.

Sorry to hear about the keying
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:47 PM
1971 Cutlass S

Originally Posted by Joffroi
Today actually I just called state farm to cancel my liability only ($270/yr) on my 72 Cutlass and went with Hagerty. For $260/yr Hagerty is giving me the same liability and also $15000 on the car. No mileage limitation either.

Sorry to hear about the keying
Hagerty is very strict about using your car to drive to work - that is one of their big NO-NO's from what I read, and what they told me on the phone. Occasional use to go to work is OK, but can't be used as a daily driver according to them.
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Runner

Hagerty is very strict about using your car to drive to work - that is one of their big NO-NO's from what I read, and what they told me on the phone. Occasional use to go to work is OK, but can't be used as a daily driver according to them.
Ok, I told the guy I drive it to work about once a week (which is true) and he said that was fine. I guess daily drivers is an entirely different game.
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stevec
Never a Mafia? You've obviously never lived in New York,New Jersey,Rhoad Island or Connecticut.
Or Philadelphia! I know this is a little off the topic but this comment brought back quite a memory.

Back in early 1980, my friend received a call to take pictures for a business meeting that took place every month. It was in North East Phila and took place betwen 8pm-10pm and I can't recall the name of the place but it was a restaurant and the meeting was in the banquet room. He asked if I wanted to go along to help out a little, which I did. The meeting was mostly contractors, many Italian and they were super nice people. Gave us dinner, drinks if we wanted any and the picture taking bill was paid promptly every month. I think we started that job in Feb 1980. Our contact was a guy named John McCullough and he was there every month. Being 18 year olds at the time, we didn't think too much about the deal but we did joke once to ourselves that these guys were probably Mafia. My buddy called me early one day in mid December 1980 to ask me if I had seen the news, which I hadn't. He told me John McCullough had been gunned down in his kitchen. A flower delivery man came to his house and blew him away. And it was a mob hit. That was definitely a Holy SH__ moment. Needless to say, we never went to that restaurant again to take photos for that meeting and quite honestly, we were quite worried for a while. I was definitely looking over my shoulder for quite a few months. When my friend sent the pictures, they also wanted the negatives which they did get. Turns out John McCullough was a roofing union leader and his hit was related to the Scarfo family.

Fast forward to now. My wife is friends with her former manager from a job she left 2 years ago. She gets together with this woman and has lunch with her once every week or so. Last year, her friend disclosed to her that her maiden name is Gotti. And yes, there is a connection.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM

one of lifes little ironies
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM

you cant have anything anymore without having someone being jelous of your things
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM

what an eye opener. I have to babysit my car and watch it like a hawk when ever i take it out. sometimes its hard to enjoy. I have had two cutlasses stolen. One of them totally stripped to the metal. I had just finished rebuilding it when all of a sudden the car was stolen. I was devastaded. Fresno, California
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:58 PM

I've been really careful where I park our newer daily driver since new in 2008. Well today after dealing with everything with our new baby who's in the nicu and my wife waiting in the lobby while I get the car for her to be released I see some old #%$% put a huge door ding in my car. Long story short, I waited in the 102 degree parking lot for 1st the security to say too bad, then the police to say too bad, nothing is going to happen. Keep in mind the offenders car is still parked next to mine. We'll see if the hit and run report, my note, pictures and security camera footage does any good. If not I will not bother calling anyone and take care of it myself next time.

Cop ran his plate so I have his name and address.

If this had been one of my older cars with fresh paint I'm not sure how I would react.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:19 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Also remember....you cannot fix stupid. The general public does not have the awareness we have towards our cars...you can’t fix stupid! Period! You'd think general courtesies would come into play for someone else’s property vintage iron or new but not in this selfish everybody-owes-me-something age we have created for ourselves. Sad.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:27 AM

This happened to me TWICE ! Someone keyed my 79 Trans Am at a movie theater when I was in high school. Totally random. My first real car. It was Awful.

The second time was my brand new, one week old 1989 Mustang GT. It was at work. Caught the guy in the act. It was bad.....He was actually sitting on the hood of my car bragging about it to two girls when I came out of work. I told him to get the F off my car. He said F You. What are you gonna do about it?

I think he still uses a straw to eat his dinner. His left eye is a little droopy. He probably had to relearn how to do everything left handed. It's the only time I've ever been put in handcuffs by the police.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by louie
I've been really careful where I park our newer daily driver since new in 2008. Well today after dealing with everything with our new baby who's in the nicu and my wife waiting in the lobby while I get the car for her to be released I see some old #%$% put a huge door ding in my car. Long story short, I waited in the 102 degree parking lot for 1st the security to say too bad, then the police to say too bad, nothing is going to happen. Keep in mind the offenders car is still parked next to mine. We'll see if the hit and run report, my note, pictures and security camera footage does any good. If not I will not bother calling anyone and take care of it myself next time.

Cop ran his plate so I have his name and address.

If this had been one of my older cars with fresh paint I'm not sure how I would react.
First off, I hope everything goes well with your baby and that the ability to come home is sooner rather than later.
I would try to contact the person who damaged your car and explain to them what they did and they need to cover the expenses for the repairs. You will likely get no where but do make the call and document it by getting the phone records to prove it. Assuming they respond negatively and when things calm down a little with the baby, take the person to small claims court with your evidence and 2 estimates and I'm sure you will win. If you do have security camera footage that should seal the deal. You can't fix stupid but you can sure take some money from them when their stupidy damages your property. And just maybe they'll be a little smarter next time.
Good luck.