General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2022 | 09:28 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Supatron
We started the renovation of old cars 14 years ago. And this is one of our works.
Welcome to CO.

The pictures you posted of the Bristol and Porsche show beautiful workmanship.

Please post pictures of your Oldsmobile projects.
Old November 17th, 2022 | 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by VC455
Welcome to CO.

I don't see any on their website.
Old November 17th, 2022 | 09:37 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by fleming442
True, but because they joined CO, I assumed they had an Oldsmobile project.
Old November 18th, 2022 | 02:51 PM
Randi

Olds girl through and through

Growing up my Dad had a slew of muscle cars and in general I fell in love with engines and shape of the cars from 1967-1971 range. Of the cars my dad had, I was always partial to his cutlass supreme. I started really looking at other cars from that era and kept coming back to the supreme or 442. I like the look and feel of her, and the grill for some reason was the best of the rest. Hated that some looked like vacuum attachments lol.
his 71 cutlass supreme was one of the first cars I ever drove, aside from a 68 nova when I was 13. he lent me it for 2 weeks while I was visiting.. That visit also happened to be one of the last times I saw my dad when I was 19 but 🤷🏻‍♀️
I decided that I would own my own and learn to work on them. I refused to get a car unless it was an olds (I eventually had to get a normal car cause life lol) but happy to say that at least now I still got my dream car. And she will not be the last.

Old November 18th, 2022 | 02:53 PM
Banned

Awesome story. Good for you and glad Oldsmobile is in your blood. 👍
Old November 18th, 2022 | 03:59 PM

No1 - Here's my "Why Olds" background.

My mom was always an Olds girl, Cutlass after Cutlass after Cutlass. My first car, purchased by my parents, was the black '68 Cutlass S you see in my Signature. It was originally Jade Gold Green with white bench, white painted top, single exhaust, 2BBL 350. I made that car MINE, LOL! Changed to a 4BBL with dual exhaust, swapped the hood with the (wrong) one you see in the pics because the original was wavy under under a bunch of bondo. I discovered the bondo while in Aurora Vo-Tech school - Auto Body Repair and Refinishing. They let us work on our own cars on Fridays if our assignments were current. I changed it over to the black you see, which was sprayed at home in the garage. Can you say "Orange Pee!?" The previous owner's daughters learned to drive in the car before it came me. The story goes that the then-current driver/daughter got into an accident while her Dad was out of town. Her Mom took the car to Maaco before Dad got back. The driver's quarter panel had - no schitt - 3/4" of bondo on it! I swapped Buick buckets for the Olds bench, as well. Got the hood and buckets from from Western Auto Salvage, on Parker Road, if you remember that joint. I loved that ride till I was rear-ended on old I-25 where the original Downing street overpass used to be located, just south of Washington Park. Insurance totaled the car. That's how I stepped up to the blue '69 4-4-2.
Old November 18th, 2022 | 04:18 PM
Banned

Great story. I do remember Western Auto Salvage ha ha. We lived at Colorado Auto and I think it was called Sand Creek off far east Colfax. Oh the old days.

I live very close to Downing and I-25 now. I have been broke so I haven't chased this car yet but I know of a dark green 68 442 that hasn't moved in at least thirty years. Pretty sure it is an automatic car. I haven't seen it since 91. I remember that it has the three spoke sport wheel. Pretty sure black top and interior. Maybe in the spring.
Old November 18th, 2022 | 07:23 PM

I own an 55 rag top Oldsmobile because you don't see them often at shows or on the road. I'm not enamored with gobs of horsepower, mostly because I grew up with little money and derrick orphan cars, Hudson's VW's ,Corvairs, Model A's, and numerous 4 banger or inline 6 flat heads. To be cool, you had to stand out in a crowd or be square A lot of the time I was square, I learned to get around in my world with shiny paint and good interiors and something different.

My dad was an Oldsmobile guy and I managed to get some of his hand-me-downs, So I got filmier with the inner workings with most of them because dad used his cars up before getting something new. If I had to do it over again, probably would go with the slow and pretty style of cars again... Just me...Tedd
Old November 18th, 2022 | 07:45 PM
66 cutlass

When I was a kid we had a red 65 Vista and a 66 f-85. Both had 330's and both had dual exhaust. I loved those cars and in fifth grade we had to do some kind of report so I did Oldsmobile. Learning the history and how Ford always got credit for everything it annoyed me since Olds was a company first, had the patent on the assembly line, the first assembly line, and blah blah. Got a 68 442 when I was 14 and when I got my license I always enjoyed when I would beat the Fords Chevys and Mopars. Found it funny that people would be surprised that Oldsmobiles were actually fast. We had a service station and Olds quality was noticably better than a lot of other cars. Also never had any reliability issues with any of the many Oldsmobiles I've owned. They always have been and always will be my favorite American car.
Old November 18th, 2022 | 08:10 PM
Banned

Welcome to CO.

Originally Posted by fleming442
True, but because they joined CO, I assumed they had an Oldsmobile project.
That's called marketing. Didn't post here because they have Oldsmobile love. Posted here for hits on their website... LAME...
Old November 18th, 2022 | 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
That's called marketing. Didn't post here because they have Oldsmobile love. Posted here for hits on their website... LAME...
That's what I getting at. Seems like calling a spade a spade is being d!kk....
Old November 18th, 2022 | 08:44 PM
Banned

??
Old November 19th, 2022 | 10:08 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
??
I think he's agreeing with you.
Old November 21st, 2022 | 06:50 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

My first Olds was a 1971 Cutlass Supreme I owned for 19 years, I've had 442s, W30, W31, Convertibles, 77 Indy Pacecars, F85s, ETC. They are my first choice then Chevy is my second.
Old November 22nd, 2022 | 04:30 PM

My grandfather bought a new 66 toro…the feeling of being pushed back into the seat as a kid did it for me. I remember him always being under the hood of that car and then going for test drives…😎😎

I learned to drive on that car. Back then he put a rear wiper on it. I recently found it for sale here locally and as soon as seen the rear wiper, I knew it was his old car. I’ll post a pic later. It was Gold with white interior and white vinyl top.

I’ve had to many Olds to list here. My jet boat is 425 powered, motorhome is the early 70’s front wheel drive GM with a 455. Many race cars and projects. 65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72 442’s 70W31 87 442, 83 H/O Most were race cars.

Old December 8th, 2022 | 04:32 AM

About a year ago I had a need/want of a used car (second vehicle besides my truck), at a decent (quite cheap) price. Was offered a '96 supercharged Olds LSS in good condition for $1200, so I bought it.
Never before in all my 50+ years of owning vehicles had I ever owned an American made vehicle. Initially was '73 Datsun pickup (1st vehicle, and only new vehicle). After a used '80 4X Datsun pickup, switched to used Toyotas for both truck and car. Got to the point eventually where I only had a truck, and desired a car again as 2nd vehicle. Thus, the Olds, mentioned to me at the right time and at the right price.
Never ever have I had a go fast car. This '96 Olds LSS is, and I don't regret buying it. Out on the freeway, I like the ability of doing 100+, gaining speed up hill if and when I feel like it. And yeah, I find I rarely feel like it, but once had hit the bottom of a hill doing about 90 and 100+ when I reached the top, paying no attention to the accelerator. Wow, I'm liking that ability, though I've not bothered to repeat it. But once on the flat, I learned the governor (or something) shuts this car down at +-110, dang it!
But nope, not regretting buying this car even though there have been things that have come up needing dealt with since buying it. Thankfully have been able to tackle and solve each myself as they come up, some after input from classic olds.

Last edited by John96OldsLSS; November 30th, 2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old December 8th, 2022 | 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by John96OldsLSS
About a year ago I had a need/want of a used car (second vehicle besides my truck), at a decent (quite cheap) price. Was offered a '96 supercharged Olds LSS in good condition for $1200, so I bought it.
Never before in all my 50+ years of owning vehicles had I ever owned an American made vehicle. Initially was '73 Datsun pickup (1st vehicle, and only new vehicle). After a used '80 4X Datsun pickup, switched to used Toyotas for both truck and car. Got to the point eventually where I only had a truck, and desired a car again as 2nd vehicle. Thus, the Olds, mentioned to me at the right time and at the right price.
Never ever have I had a go fast car. This Olds is, and I don't regret buying it. Out on the freeway, I like the ability of doing 100+, gaining speed up hill if and when I feel like it. And yeah, I find I rarely feel like it, but once had hit the bottom of a hill doing about 90 and 100+ when I reached the top, paying no attention to the accelerator. Wow, I'm liking that ability, though I've not bothered to repeat it. But once on the flat, I learned the governor (or something) shuts this car down at +-110, dang it!
But nope, not regretting buying this car even though there have been things that have come up needing dealt with since buying it. Thankfully have been able to tackle and solve each myself as they come up, some after input from classic olds.
Yup, you hit the fuel cut. Those 3800s are some durable little engines. The NA rod caps are a weak point, but I think the SC versions may have more meat.