General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why is it "Just a Cutlass"

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Actually, what's funny is everyone calls my cutlass a chevelle.....
With mine they are 1/2 right, lol, I call it a funny looking Chevelle.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:46 AM

A lot of people seem to gravitate towards the performance model or designation. I'm sure this has to do with the fact that the performance models were better performers in their stock form, and so there's a certain expectation that a car that looks like a performance model will perform. For myself, I much prefer cars that are low key, with all the performance mods, but with none of the appearance mods. I don't really want it to look fast, only to be fast. If I had a choice between a 442 and a Cutlass, I can't think of an instance where I'd pick the 442, although I don't have anything against the 442. For my own cars, I just prefer a visually restrained appearance. I don't think this is typical.
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by Intragration
I don't think this is typical.
That's ok.

On a more extreme level ...

Most high end/dollar exotic type cars do nothing for me.

That just blows peoples minds that I feel absolutely nothing-nada-zilch-zero when looking at something like say ... a Lamborghini.

People tell you that you must be dead inside - you're just a hater because you can't afford one - etc etc etc .

But to be fair ... I give other reasons for many to roll their eyes at me.

Such as ...

1 - My blatant dislike of reality shows.
2 - Not understanding the need & obsession to share each & every 24/7 moment of ones life via so-called social media.
3 - Not understanding the fascination with immature young women with no brains & the curves of a yardstick.

In the words of George Costanza .....

FLAME ON !!!

Old December 10th, 2012, 10:13 AM
"Trying to fix her right"

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
P.S. I am guilty of pulling up next to other Oldsmobile owners while I am in one of my cars and telling them they have a nice Chevelle...it's amazing how offended they get never realizing that I am driving a Cutlass as well lol!
NOW THATS FUNNY ah64pilot! That is totally my sense of humor! Love it!
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
delete

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think you're being a little unfair to the 1971's.
x2 I would def consider a '71 & a '72 different animals for this discussion. In '71 the standard engine was still a 455. IMO a '72 with the same 350 you can get in a base Cutlass isn't a muscle car even though the are def still nice cars. I'd say the same of a Chevelle SS350 from '71 or '72 and a GS350 as well.

Last edited by droptopron; December 10th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

I , also love my 70 Cutlass Supreme, with the 1969 455. As has been said, I like that you can have fun making them into what you want. I am lucky, because I have a another 70 Cutlass Supreme that is original and a 442 that will stay factory, but the 455 is getting a lot of options that the car did not originally come with...w25 hood,wing, boxed control arms....etc...
I guess that I will have a performance Cutlass ( I like that term!) that I love to drive!

Ted

Last edited by sammy; December 10th, 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Addition
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by dfire25
NOW THATS FUNNY ah64pilot! That is totally my sense of humor! Love it!
X2, Steve that definately sounds like something I would do . I think it is a acquired sense of humor.
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 69cutlassragtop
I have 'just a Cutlass' also. Was only tempted to do the clone thing briefly. I like it better with the Cutlass badges. I'd like this for a license plate: "NOTA442"
I was tempted also, but when I was talking about it with the Mrs, she said I wouldn't be happy calling it something it is not. I hate it when she is right. She knows me too well.
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by sammy
I guess that I will have a performance Cutlass ( I like that term!) that I love to drive!

Your garage sounds like a dream garage to me. Maybe we can call the performance Cutlass a W-99

Ted
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM

In 1966, the 442 package was an option. Tri-Carbs was an option. W30 was an option. So, all I have is a couple of F85s, not even Cutlasses, the higher end A body cars. The question I get is: "Is it real?" No, it is unreal. . .or maybe a hologram. . .be careful your hand will go right through it, lol. The car that is a re-creation of the Rund Oldsmobile dealership race car has UFO on the trunk lid for Unreal Flying Oldsmobile. It is also unreal and just an F85 I guess because the dealer converted it to a W30, as was the case for every other W30 race car at the NHRA Nationals in 1966.

For me the bottom line is: when someone says it is just a Cutlass, or an F85, or is it real, he really just deserves a Chevy anyway.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:39 AM

"Most high end/dollar exotic type cars do nothing for me.

That just blows peoples minds that I feel absolutely nothing-nada-zilch-zero when looking at something like say ... a Lamborghini."

About 3 decades ago a friend and I were talking Oldsmobiles on his front yard, leaning against a Toronado. He said, "Uh, oh" and explained briefly about the self-important Corvette lover striding toward us from down the street. Sure enough, the Vette owner said to me "Whaddaya think?" Playing the game, I said "about what?" and he responded incredulously, "the Vette." So I said
"Oh, I guess it's OK if you can't afford a metal car." My response kind of killed the conversation and we could get back to our Oldsmobile discussion. lol.
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by Run to Rund

For me the bottom line is: when someone says it is just a Cutlass, or an F85, or is it real, he really just deserves a Chevy anyway.
Lol
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
coolest car I saw at Lansing was a 1972 F-82 only option was AC - rubber floor and all!

Thats cool. do you have any pictures?
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
About 3 decades ago a friend and I were talking Oldsmobiles on his front yard, leaning against a Toronado. He said, "Uh, oh" and explained briefly about the self-important Corvette lover striding toward us from down the street. Sure enough, the Vette owner said to me "Whaddaya think?" Playing the game, I said "about what?" and he responded incredulously, "the Vette." So I said
"Oh, I guess it's OK if you can't afford a metal car." My response kind of killed the conversation and we could get back to our Oldsmobile discussion. lol.
That's pretty friggin hilarious. I'd much rather see a 62 Cadillac up on wheelie bars than a vette any day. It's not a car's fault if the motor is underbuilt. Building it out of sticks and string is the easy way out.
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:27 AM

The majority of 442's were...... just cars
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM

I can say that I'm glad my '69 is "just a Cutlass" because if it was a 442 I would never do what I'm doing to it.
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
I can say that I'm glad my '69 is "just a Cutlass" because if it was a 442 I would never do what I'm doing to it.
Thay was my thing. If mine were a 442, I wouldn't be able to do it the way I want. It would have to be original. With the Cutlass, I have no problem changing the things to how I want them. Still working on her! Let alone 442's, but are all Chevelles SS's????? Thats all you see in my area. The Malibo's must have just dropped off the earth!
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by jpc647
Thats cool. do you have any pictures?
I might, will have to check. It was a Texas car with the original faded white paint on top instead of the vinyl. Just a darn cool bare bones car. Of course that car was so plain jane I couldn't mod it either. One year I hope to get a 71 lime green and make a pro-touring car out of it.

Though the older I get the more I like the idea of modifying newer cars like my Marauder, safer, better mpg, faster and I can use it as a daily driver
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM

As the owner of a W30 or two, I am a step above all that. To me, those other cars are "just a 442"...

I don't even recognize Cutlasses as cars, and F-85's are killed on sight.

Old December 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Kiwi Ciera Driver

Wait until you own a Cutlass Ciera...."Oh, it's not a real Cutlass"

And you Cutlass owners thought you had it bad!
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by chadman
It is nice to not have to fret over value depreciation when you want to customize a car.

Originally Posted by ziff396
Let alone 442's, but are all Chevelles SS's????? Thats all you see in my area. The Malibo's must have just dropped off the earth!
I think everyone and their mother has converted a base Malibu to the Chevelle SS badged clones.
In all reality it's worth far more as an SS clone, just like a Gutless Cutlass IMO is worth more as a 442 clone.

I've been to the Volo museum several times and I've seen SS Chevelle clones going for nearly $30,000.
Any person can build up a base Cutlass or Malibu and make it better then a factory original.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 12th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.