General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

when did painting become so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2016, 02:36 PM

I've painted a couple of cars myself, my GTO and a neighbors Impala wagon. As mentioned before, big mess and the equipment cost if you don't have a compressor and the paint guns much less the skills can make farming the job out preferable to doing it yourself. This car I bought painted already, its not perfect but it is an original rust free car with relatively fresh paint and although its not a "show car" its able to "show off".

The last two cars I had painted were my 83 Riviera and my nieces 83 GMC pickup. My current neighbor is the body shop instructor at the local tech school and all he required was that I pick up the materials and by some pizza and pop for the kids when the cars were done. The only stipulation was that I not get in a hurry but both were done in less than 6 months. Quality, believe it or not is very good both were done in bc/cc. So, you may be able to talk to an instructor or even take a course and get your car worked on.
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Phantom Phixer

This 125 page booklet is in PDF form. It contains a lot of good information if you are considering doing your own paint job.
It was prepared by PPG so it , of course , features their products .

https://ppgrefinish-na.uberflip.com/...ration-guide/5

Last edited by Charlie Jones; May 5th, 2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
I did my own, had to save money and it was important to me to do it myself. Did not expect more then a 10-20 footer. Used single stage white, epoxy primer. Cost less then @ 1500, including a Finish-line 4 paint gun. Others will tear it apart, but I don't care. Anybody with money can pay somebody else to do it all for them. Most paint jobs on older cars are way better then how it came off the line. Some BC/CC jobs I have seen don't look good on older cars. I don't expect it to be exposed to the elements 24/7 for the rest of its', or my life either. Had some experience shooting SW acrylic enamels in the 70s. Researched and read all I found beforehand.
What surprised me was the difference in prices by color. I think white was the cheapest, red the most expensive.
Do what you can do and afford, then get the car out and enjoy it and the hell with the snobs and naysayers.
I agree with that, I did the same thing.
What I was looking at was what the cars value was going to be when done, a 68 Cutlass Supreme isn't going to be worth over $10,000 around these parts (and I don't live in Barrett Jackson world) so I wasn't going to put a $10-15,000 paint job on it. I sell them all eventually and I hate losing money. So I do it myself. If it was a Hurst, well that'd be a different story.

And for the record $15,000 for a paint job is ridiculous imo
Old May 6th, 2016, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
This 125 page booklet is in PDF form. It contains a lot of good information if you are considering doing your own paint job.
It was prepared by PPG so it , of course , features their products .

https://ppgrefinish-na.uberflip.com/...ration-guide/5
Thats good info, thanks for posting
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by kevdog442
I agree with that, I did the same thing.
What I was looking at was what the cars value was going to be when done, a 68 Cutlass Supreme isn't going to be worth over $10,000 around these parts (and I don't live in Barrett Jackson world) so I wasn't going to put a $10-15,000 paint job on it. I sell them all eventually and I hate losing money. So I do it myself. If it was a Hurst, well that'd be a different story.

And for the record $15,000 for a paint job is ridiculous imo
This was the other reason I did it myself. I am already spending close to the max I could get for this car if I sell it. I just don't want to have 5-10 K more in it then it would sell for. Been there.
Old May 6th, 2016, 05:33 AM

Smile

Is anyone else familiar with The "Wanda brand Paint Products" ? The company has been in business since 1934 and their line of "Water Base Paint" is very reasonably priced,easy and simple to work with,and produces excellent results.Check them out online, and they have suppliers in Hagerstown,Maryland(1-800- 321-4333. I painted the front end on a 1983 Mustang ,and blended in the middle of the front doors to (10 year old paint) and it came out looking amazingly well.
I can't remember exactly but I think my total supplies were Under $300.
and this was sprayed outside !l. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (211.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Rocketowner; May 6th, 2016 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Add
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:08 AM

not just reds are over the top these days.pretty much any paint with metallic is gonna cost.i recently had a pint a pint mind you of gold mixed just to use for some stripes on a black car.cost $138 for a PINT.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:12 AM

The car that I show above is Metallic and was the original color . Larry
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
not just reds are over the top these days.pretty much any paint with metallic is gonna cost.i recently had a pint a pint mind you of gold mixed just to use for some stripes on a black car.cost $138 for a PINT.
Did you price a quart? You may not need that much but small quantity's sometime are much higher. Get a empty pint can and pour extra for touch up later. I have done this and stored the extra for years and still good when i need it. I have a spare gallon of red right now that i have not used. Waiting on a project to use it on.
Old May 6th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Some brands only come in smaller quantities.

The House of Kolor I used on my Cougar only came in quarts. I didn't have to do a roof (vinyl) but I shot the engine compartment the body color as well. I think I used 6 quarts. When mixed with the reducer, it usually doubles the quantity. I think between the sealer, color, clear and mixing agents, I spent in the neighborhood of $750. This doesn't include the primers and stuff.

The material I used on the 75 Vert was formerly Dupont, now Axalta. It was their "Hot Hues" line and the "Razzling Red" color only came in pints! I ordered 10. But I didn't use them all. Didn't have to spray the roof this time either. Since I originally did the car, I ended up reshooting the trunk lid and the passenger door. So I was glad I had some left. For that car, the sealer, color and clear and catalysts were in the neighborhood of $1300!!!

But still, if you saw the cars in person, They look better than the dollars I spent. I don't count labor since it's a hobby for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0989 resized.JPG (71.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
p 5875.jpg (150.5 KB, 12 views)
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:27 AM

Nice thread regarding painting! Thanks, all, for sharing the different aspects - including those not directly related the OP's post regarding cost . I took two years of Auto Body Restoration and Refinishing Back In the Day, earning what amounts to an Associate Degree, and spent three years in the industry. In addition to shop work, I've done a number of garage projects over the years, but nothing in the past 15 or so. I'm looking forward to R&R'ing my current '68 4-4-2 project when the mechanicals are complete. I already have all the tools, and will build a temporary booth in my garage when the time comes. I really appreciate the posting of the PPG link. I need to come up to speed with the current chemicals and techniques.