General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

when did painting become so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2016, 03:17 AM

when did painting become so expensive?

I have been pricing around my area to get my cutlass repainted. The only rust on her are two small spots in both rear quarters. I've even volunteered to pull all of the chrome beforehand. The prices that I have been quoted so far have been enough to make me wonder if I'll ever bother having it done. The quotes have ranged from $7,000 to $35,000.

As I've said before, she's a driver, not a show car. When did having a car painted equal out to a year in college for one of my kids? I know I'm getting older, but I don't ever remember it being this expensive.
Old May 4th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by chip-powell
I have been pricing around my area to get my cutlass repainted. The only rust on her are two small spots in both rear quarters. I've even volunteered to pull all of the chrome beforehand. The prices that I have been quoted so far have been enough to make me wonder if I'll ever bother having it done. The quotes have ranged from $7,000 to $35,000.

As I've said before, she's a driver, not a show car. When did having a car painted equal out to a year in college for one of my kids? I know I'm getting older, but I don't ever remember it being this expensive.
If you are using good primer and paint, materials alone will cost $3-$4,000 of that price. I am about to get mine done, and $11-$15,000 was the common range. Mine has more body work though. You can pay less, but you need to make sure you will be satisfied with the results. Satisfaction levels are like opinions, every one is different. Good Luck.
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

A proper paint job is about 90% labor, and as noted, materials can cost upwards of $1000-2000, depending on quality. Do the math.
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:29 AM

send a thank you card to the EPA. shop and material costs are directly related to their terroristic regulations.
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:29 AM

yeah, yeah I know. I just needed to vent a little.
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 88 Cutty Classic
send a thank you card to the EPA. shop and material costs are directly related to their terroristic regulations.
While environmental laws have definitely resulted in an increase in materials costs, the EPA has nothing to do with increased LABOR costs.
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
While environmental laws have definitely resulted in an increase in materials costs, the EPA has nothing to do with increased LABOR costs.
not directly labor cost but the shop has to recoup their money for those environmentally friendly expensive paint booths, disposal costs, etc..
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

not directly labor cost but the shop has to recoup their money for those environmentally friendly expensive paint booths, disposal costs, etc..
Yes, I can't argue that. Still, labor costs have gone up significantly in the last 10-20 years, not only due to overhead costs. Health insurance, liability insurance, etc, etc.
Old May 4th, 2016, 06:53 AM

Ship the car where the price is better. Shop around more to other states. I have seen guys who do killer paint jobs below $10,000.
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

When I painted my Chevelle, I think the gallon of Ditzler lacquer cost me $35.

Even though material prices have gone up a bit since then, I would never pay someone else to paint a car - hell, if I go out of my way to spend a day troubleshooting so that I can spend $10 on a repair instead of $200, I'll certainly go out of my way to spend the time to paint my own car for $1,000, rather than spend $10,000.

It's a lot of patient work sanding and messing around, but it's not particularly difficult.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:12 AM

I also paint my own cars, I buy primer and paint from NAPA, cost is around 1000 in total , but you need masking tape, paper masking, and sandpaper. The last one I did with everything to do the job was 1400.00. But I also spend 6 months working on body before paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
021_04a.jpg (938.8 KB, 23 views)
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:16 AM

I am going to try to learn to paint. I have a one car garage I want to turn into a booth, I'll get good equipment, good paint, and practice on some spare panels a bunch. Many many guide coats and block sanding. I wonder how good I can reasonably expect?
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:21 AM

I love Patina and Primer
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

Even though material prices have gone up a bit since then, I would never pay someone else to paint a car - hell, if I go out of my way to spend a day troubleshooting so that I can spend $10 on a repair instead of $200, I'll certainly go out of my way to spend the time to paint my own car for $1,000, rather than spend $10,000.

It's a lot of patient work sanding and messing around, but it's not particularly difficult.

- Eric
That may work for you but not everyone has those skills or time. not saying this is you but people will be like "yeah i did my own work" and it will look like they did their own work. everyone has different opinions on what "nice" looks like. each person has to decided the line between time and money. Personally i'm at the point with some things that i would rather spend the money because i dont have the time. I'm not the one to have a 20 year project. i'd rather be driving my car than fiddling with it in my garage.

And todays materials take a trained knowledge, technique unless you want a low budget paint job. Aint no joe schmoe off the street going into a paint shop anymore and buying lacquer. Them days are looooong gone.

when it comes to paint you have to think long term. what is the cars use? how long do i plan on keeping it? a good quality paint job should last decades. take a 10K paint job and think of it at a 20 year investment. thats only $500 a year. not bad if you ask me. now take a paint job with cheap materials and inexperienced labor...may look good for 5 years and thats it.
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I just bought material to paint my 70 Chevelle SS, here is the cost for Dupont paint and clear. Figure another $7-800 for primer, tape, sandpaper, fiberglass, etc. I'm looking at at least $2k for materials alone. If you want the good stuff it cost $$$$.

Old May 4th, 2016, 07:40 AM

- Eric
I just paid $135 for a pint of PPG/Ditzler Lacquer.
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

And todays materials take a trained knowledge, technique unless you want a low budget paint job. Aint no joe schmoe off the street going into a paint shop anymore and buying lacquer. Them days are looooong gone.
You may be overstating it a tad...

Yes, today's BC/CC paints take more skill than lacquer, but ASSUMING one can follow directions, it isn't that difficult. Since you can't color sand the base coat, application technique is important, but frankly, it was important when shooting candy lacquer, or even metallic, so that's not really new. Yes, you can't really sand out the bug that lands in the paint when you're doing a garage shoot, so a plastic sheet spray booth with a fan and filters is important. Proper prep, temperature, and humidity control is important. None of this is new, nor is it especially difficult. Like rebuilding a Qjet, it just takes care and attention to detail.
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by chip-powell

Back in 1993, I use to work in a auto mechanic/body shop and I had my Cutlass (post) painted and it costs me $3000+. The guy sanded down bare metal and I was there watching him. Once it was bare metal he sprayed sealant and then primer and uses PPG Deltron. Next week is my vacation and Im going to a body shop and get an estimate price to see how much to paint my convertible. I have a small rot (size of a quarter) on the passenger side quarter panel. I'll be holding my breath when he tells me the price.
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I just paid $135 for a pint of PPG/Ditzler Lacquer.

Even ASSuming reduced prices for larger quantities, that's about $600 a gallon.

For lacquer!

I had believed that most of the price increase was because of the newer formulations and processes, but I guess some of it is just plain more expensive.

Good to know you can still get lacquer, though - I hadn't realized that!

Thanks!

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Good to know you can still get lacquer, though - I hadn't realized that!

Thanks!

- Eric
You can still get lacquer, but the largest container you can buy is a quart. TCP Global, HOK, and many others still sell lacquer that way. Of course, the total cost for the 5-6 quarts you'll need will be higher than if you could buy a gallon.
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Of course, the total cost for the 5-6 quarts you'll need will be higher than if you could buy a gallon.
Yeah. It's all becoming clear to me...

I expect I'll probably do a "real" painting job again in about five years or so.

I'd better start robbing banks now.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Senior Moment Member

They've discontinued your color out of decency for the common man. I couldn't paint a car with a roller!
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:20 AM

You may be overstating it a tad...

Yes, today's BC/CC paints take more skill than lacquer, but ASSUMING one can follow directions, it isn't that difficult. Since you can't color sand the base coat, application technique is important, but frankly, it was important when shooting candy lacquer, or even metallic, so that's not really new. Yes, you can't really sand out the bug that lands in the paint when you're doing a garage shoot, so a plastic sheet spray booth with a fan and filters is important. Proper prep, temperature, and humidity control is important. None of this is new, nor is it especially difficult. Like rebuilding a Qjet, it just takes care and attention to detail.

I have two really good friends that work at separate shops and both had to go to classes to learn the newest paint systems. thats what some of this stuff is now..a system. its like being a pharmacist in the sense that you have to know what interacts with what and what possible unintended side effect could result. Mixing is a huge part of it.

everyone keeps saying its not difficult... NO its not like designing a structure using complicated math formulas but its tedious, takes an experienced hand, is labor intensive, it HARD on your body, etc.. Again, it comes down to what each person thinks looks good. some people are perfectly fine with 10 footers. getting a quality paint job is hard work.
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I couldn't paint a car with a roller!
HEY! I DID paint it with a roller!

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:54 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the new water based paints?
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:21 AM

I have seen a car painted black with water base, I was blown away, it was deep looking, by far a show paint job. the owner would not say what it cost. I know that shop has switch every thing over to water, cost a fortune , new booth , pluming, hoses, guns. And they stopped restoring cars, and only do insurance clams now. The owner said they can fix four or five fenders a day and repaint just that, and make way more money then restoring some ones car over a year . So I can see where restoration shops can charge so much, there just not that many around that restore whole cars.
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Administrator

I repaired my sons Mustang aluminum hood and plastic welded the front bumper guard that was cracked in multiple places. Then prepped and painted both. It took me 3 days and $400 worth of supplies. I respect the paint/body guys, its hard and tedious work. Although the hood didn't come out as good as a professional its fine for a daily driver.

I looked into stripping all the trim off the Cutlass and doing most of the body work, then letting a Maaco paint center prep and paint it. I've seen their work and its quite good. It was a reasonable price. Ultimately had a friend paint it, its not perfect but very nice for what I use it for.
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

HEY! I DID paint it with a roller!
Yes, but none of us want to drive around in pink cars....

Are you ever going to put a 455 in that Royale?
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:08 PM

I do my own. Dad taught me and I'm glad he did not only because of the costs involved. But because of the countless paint shop horror stories that are out there. None of my cars are perfect. But I can say that I did them myself.

My success came from using higher end materials. One car is a pearl job and the other is a pretty heavy metallic. I went top shelf on materials for both jobs. I didn't want to have to figure out how to mix the stuff (pearls and the like) to make it consistent.

I also went to a seminar put on by House of Kolor, sponsored by my local paint supplier before I did the first car. I learned some great tips there that have really helped.

When people look at the first car, they ask me who painted it. I tell them I did it and it was my first attempt and they look at me like I have three heads.

I took the mistakes I learned on the first car and applied it to the second car. When people ask who painted that car, I tell them I did and they want to know where my shop is.

I'm not a professional. Both cars were painted in a standard, detached, two-car garage with an exhaust fan in the window.
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've got a 425 around in pieces - needs machine work, etc - but I know I'm not going to get around to that in the next year.

Besides - it'd be more fun in a Cutlass.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Local Hero
I do my own. Dad taught me and I'm glad he did not only because of the costs involved. But because of the countless paint shop horror stories that are out there. None of my cars are perfect. But I can say that I did them myself.

My success came from using higher end materials. One car is a pearl job and the other is a pretty heavy metallic. I went top shelf on materials for both jobs. I didn't want to have to figure out how to mix the stuff (pearls and the like) to make it consistent.

I also went to a seminar put on by House of Kolor, sponsored by my local paint supplier before I did the first car. I learned some great tips there that have really helped.

When people look at the first car, they ask me who painted it. I tell them I did it and it was my first attempt and they look at me like I have three heads.

I took the mistakes I learned on the first car and applied it to the second car. When people ask who painted that car, I tell them I did and they want to know where my shop is.

I'm not a professional. Both cars were painted in a standard, detached, two-car garage with an exhaust fan in the window.
That seminar is a good idea. I think I shall do that.
Old May 4th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Local Hero
Exactly.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 01:49 PM

Interesting that I just read this article today:

Report: Federal regulations costing US $1.9T annually

The federal regulatory cost reached $1.885 trillion in 2015.

Federal regulation is a hidden tax that amounts to nearly $15,000 per U.S. household each year.

In 2015, 114 laws were enacted by Congress during the calendar year, while 3,410 rules were issued by agencies. Thus, 30 rules were issued for every law enacted last year.

Many Americans complain about taxes, but regulatory compliance costs exceed the $1.82 trillion that the IRS is expected to collect in both individual and corporate income taxes from 2015.
Old May 4th, 2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71

Federal regulation is a hidden tax that amounts to nearly $15,000 per U.S. household each year.

In 2015, 114 laws were enacted by Congress during the calendar year, while 3,410 rules were issued by agencies. Thus, 30 rules were issued for every law enacted last year.

Many Americans complain about taxes, but regulatory compliance costs exceed the $1.82 trillion that the IRS is expected to collect in both individual and corporate income taxes from 2015.
Duh government over reaching. Back to the question at hand i said that i had seen many paint jobs that were under $10,000 were killer.Now that doesn't mean that the op needs to spend that much for a paint job. It depends on the level the op wants. Nothing fancy really isn't that high. The Cost of $5,000 to $7,000 for a car needing no body work to me is reasonable. The prep work is what makes a paint job better. Some guys just don't prep cars right and then the car paint job is not that great. I painted my street rod and have helped on several not what i would call show car but good enough as a driver. I would do it again if i needed to.
Old May 4th, 2016, 02:18 PM

I painted this car around 7 yrs ago. It was the first car I ever painted. I had guidance from an experienced body man. I rented a crappy little paint bay from a body shop that a fellow Olds enthusiast owned. It was Sherwin Williams BC/CC. I still spent 2k-2500k on just the paint and associated materials.
I will do it again when it comes time. Thats what I love about this hobby, I can learn as I go and if I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do something I pay someone who does. I save $ where I can and know when I'm in over my head.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...971_olds-2.jpg
Old May 4th, 2016, 02:41 PM

i did the same as koda. was my first attempt at painting . pretty happy with the outcome .yeah you can tell its not professional but then again i restored the entire car for the cost of a professional paint job .this is a driver also.
Old May 4th, 2016, 03:04 PM

You can still get lacquer, but the largest container you can buy is a quart. TCP Global, HOK, and many others still sell lacquer that way. Of course, the total cost for the 5-6 quarts you'll need will be higher than if you could buy a gallon.
I could be mistaken but I think this company sells lacquer by the gallon.

http://www.williamwolf.com/
Old May 4th, 2016, 03:19 PM

I did my own, had to save money and it was important to me to do it myself. Did not expect more then a 10-20 footer. Used single stage white, epoxy primer. Cost less then @ 1500, including a Finish-line 4 paint gun. Others will tear it apart, but I don't care. Anybody with money can pay somebody else to do it all for them. Most paint jobs on older cars are way better then how it came off the line. Some BC/CC jobs I have seen don't look good on older cars. I don't expect it to be exposed to the elements 24/7 for the rest of its', or my life either. Had some experience shooting SW acrylic enamels in the 70s. Researched and read all I found beforehand.
What surprised me was the difference in prices by color. I think white was the cheapest, red the most expensive.
Do what you can do and afford, then get the car out and enjoy it and the hell with the snobs and naysayers.
Old May 5th, 2016, 10:34 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Fun71

Absolutely the EPA is clumsy, overloaded with bureaucracy and woefully inefficient.
But it is a bargain compared with the cost of letting industry run amok as it was in living memory. Take a look at Dehli in India or many parts of China to see what can happen.

Roger.
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:46 PM

There is a distinct difference between protecting the environment and being a controlling entity hell bent on the destroying the countrys ability to produce good and services. Also control of the people by killing off industries and making them depended on the government in order to secure their votes. if given the choice between jobs for the people so they can feed their families and the environment...well i'm taking my chances that mother nature is gonna do what she does regardless, i'm picking jobs for the people.

you can be responsible with the environment with having strangling regulations.

Quick Reply: when did painting become so expensive?