General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

When did our cars become noticeable to the public?

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2020, 05:48 AM

I had a random thought yesterday while out Oldsmobiling. The Olds Cutlass at one time was the most popular car sold, at one time these cars were daily drivers. So at what point did they become noticeable to everyday people? Whenever I have the Olds out, I can almost guarantee I’ll get a thumbs up, or someone will comment “I had a car just like that”. ( I hate it when the discussion continues, turns out the car was a Chevelle, or a something completely different or different make, but that’s beside the point). And it’s not just the 69, when I had my 87 Cutlass it was the same thing. The G body Olds was the most popular car for many years. I don’t mind the appreciative thumbs up and interest, I’m just curious when these cars stopped being common and noticeable to the everyday drivers.

Let me put it another way. I want a new Challenger, if my wife would stop wasting money on groceries and bills, I’d probably have one. Right now, they are very common cars on the road. Assuming the auto hobby isn’t legislated out of existence in the future, I’m guessing 30 years from now if you drive around in a 2020 Challenger, your going to get thumbs up and interest from otherwise non car people.
Old August 28th, 2020, 06:38 AM

I doubt the 6 banger Challenger will bring much in 30 years but, the Hellcat might...hopefully not as a museum piece only.

On second thought, the 6 banger may do well after all. Mod'ers may scoop them up and drop complete electric drivetrains in them. Hitting 0-60 in 2.1 seconds.

By 2050 it is predicted that fossil fuels will be depleted, for the most part. Sooner than that, it would be to expensive for most people to afford. Hmmm....my estate better unass my cars by 2030.
Old August 28th, 2020, 07:59 AM

Kinda makes me sick but I bet in the future if you want to go fast it will be electric powered..I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more cars showing up in major races other than as exhibition, could be a rule thing I don't know,I don't keep up anymore The technology is advancing at a rate that shortly conventional combustion engines will be surpassed in the weight to HP equation and when that happens Katy bar the door.

Can you imagine no roar or smell of racing fuel at a drag race, just the humm of a 1000 hp electric motor. Sometimes its good to be lost in the fifties...Tedd
Old August 28th, 2020, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I’m guessing 30 years from now if you drive around in a 2020 Challenger, your going to get thumbs up and interest from otherwise non car people.
I don't think it will take that long. The first time I drove my 96 98 I got a compliment from an older woman and her husband and I hadn't even purchased the car yet. I was just test driving it. A 2020 Challenger (and other modern performance cars) will hold popularity better than a GM corporate sedan. Especially the Hemi and Hellcat.
Old August 28th, 2020, 09:03 AM

Yeah, if I was going to buy a go-faster today, it would be a Hell-Cat or a Shelby / Cobra car....if I could get in and out of the damned things. There is nothing in the Camaro line-up that does it for me.
Old August 28th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I'm going to agree on the Challenger. it's also the best looking new car on the road today.
Old August 28th, 2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by KW5413
I doubt the 6 banger Challenger will bring much in 30 years but, the Hellcat might...
Aren't we at that point now with a "regular" Cutlass compared to a 442 or W-30?
Old August 28th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by matt69olds
In 1969 I had a ton of fine young public women noticing my '67 4-4-2.
I'll admit one of my cousin's 396 SS grabbed more attention than my 4-4-2 back then.
Old August 28th, 2020, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
I'm going to agree on the Challenger. it's also the best looking new car on the road today.
i agree too, SRT 6.4 hemi lol that's my daily ride