General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What will happen to your car if you don't drive it enough!

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM

What will happen to your car if you don't drive it enough!

I've driven past the old farm house that's crumbling down many times and looked at what once was a combine, or some similar prehistoric farm equipment. It wasn't until last week that I noticed something else sitting in the field. Today I took a picture of it to share with you all. A buddy at work who's into vintage cars guessed it's a Model T between 1910 and 1914. I've no clue myself, but it would have been nice to save it before it got this far along. Anybody confirm his guess, or have a different one? John

P3270099.jpg
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:47 PM
car guy

Yall git otta here. Im gonna fix that one up one day!!
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
. A buddy at work who's into vintage cars guessed it's a Model T between 1910 and 1914. I've no clue myself, but it would have been nice to save it before it got this far along. Anybody confirm his guess, or have a different one? John
Hmmm, I'm guessing it was left parked there before the trees grew. But, in all honesty John, those things were mass produced to the nards. I doubt it has any significant value. Probably why it was left there. Maybe stop and ask the landowner?
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I agree.

T roadster.

Wooden spoke wheels put it before some time or another - I'll go with 1914 -
cylindrical gas tank behind the seats indicates a later modification to a "speedster" configuration. You can see the "reverse curve" of the remaining steering wheel spokes.

- Eric
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Geezer

This is a significant reflection of what Ethanol in gasoline will do to your vintage car.
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by texascarnut
this is a significant reflection of what ethanol in gasoline will do to your vintage car. :d
:d :d :d
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:40 PM

Interesting how the earth slowly devours things sitting idly on top. There is an old 50 something Olds IIRC beside our long past Uncle's cottage up north in Bracebridge (now owned by the pipeline) that looks similar. Full of bullet and buckshot holes and mostly sunk into the earth. I use to enjoy taking out the metal detector and finding things in the area (mostly garbage though... guess that is how it was back then).
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:29 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Every car (or any man made object for that matter) starts deteriorating the moment it leaves the factory. We try to slow the process down as much as we can but inevitably it will wear with use. It will also return to its natural state if it isn't used, paint will fade and eventually blister and stop preventing metal from rusting, tires will turn to dust given long enough, even the glass will gradually break down.

Short term lack of use has its own problems, tires flat spotting, carburettors gumming up, condensation in the crankcase and gas tank, mold round the windows etc.
I thought when I read the title to this post this was the OPs concern.
Cars used daily mostly have problems because of mechanical failure of parts that either weren't up to standard when new or have worn out.
Cars used only occasionally have problems related to their circumstances like dampness and parts not getting lubricated regularly.

We can delay this process but inevitably nature will win. An obvious example is historic documents, ancient manuscripts have to kept in strictly controlled conditions of humidity and lighting (normally darkness). I wonder how many 20th century cars will still exist in 1000 years time?.

Roger.