General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What have you done to your Oldsmobile today

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Oldscarnut

Arrow New Lists of Chores

Today while I enjoyed looking at what all has been done and what still needs doing, I made a list; Power steering pump install and hose hookup; radiator in; starter in, transmission cooling lines installed, belts, distributor, vacuum lines, battery., sort the wiring, spark plugs in, gas lines attached, spark wires, and timed. These of course will have more things as so far 2 steps forward and 1 step back! Today I got the fan shroud on, the carb and air cleaner on, vacuum plugs and spigots in, measured the a/c delete panel fitted the fan, filled the trans with 4 qts of fluid with the rest to come after it gets circulating. The next few days will see new front shocks, and brake bleeding. and the start of my list. It is literally a matter of days before the big start. I still have to break in the cam! 3 months ago I never thought I would finish. Now I am going slow just to make sure all things have been done correctly! For the many Veterans, Happy Veteran's day! My 13 years in the Navy qualifies me. Tomorrow is USMC 244th Birthday! Happy Birthday Marines!
Old November 9th, 2019, 04:09 PM

Took the hot rod to work today and changed the alternator and p/s belts on my lunch break...and still had time to throw some groceries down my neck. 😀
It was a good day!
Old November 9th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Oldscarnut

It is so nice to get your list done without a new list or getting stranded on a short trip! I hope you have many more good days in your hot rod!
Old November 11th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Got the 260 ready to pull out of the 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham. I also dropped the pan and removed the pick up so I don't have to pull the hood. I also removed the super tight fitting Supercars Unlimited dipstick. I also removed the stock torque converter, put in my custom built by me 5000ish rpm governor and a bigger boost valve in the 2004R. I also have 2200 to 2500 stall that flashes to 2300. This is the 4th 2004R in this car, this one was rebuilt at some point and the pan looked really good after 2 years behind all that 260 power😉.

Old November 11th, 2019, 03:59 PM

Looked through the window and saw another hole in the back seat.
Old November 11th, 2019, 04:29 PM

My 13 years in the Navy qualifies me.
EGAD! Chuck Cole is a SQUID!
Me. too.
I'll share something now and those who read it can take it as a grain of salt if they wish: I FRIGIN' HATE the condescending " Thank you for your service" that is directed my way and I tell people so. It's BS. It's a 'progressive democrat's" way of saying FU! Now I know this is an over-generalization but I don't care. I over-generalize a lot of things...TS.
Anyway, thanks for 13 years of your life. I was an OS on the USS San Jose.
GOOD GOD HOW I hated when we unrepped or pulled into port and they blared that song!!!!
Old November 11th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by JonnyO
I FRIGIN' HATE the condescending " Thank you for your service" that is directed my way and I tell people so. It's BS. It's a 'progressive democrat's" way of saying FU! Now I know this is an over-generalization but I don't care. I over-generalize a lot of things...TS.
Obviously , you never served in Vietnam .
That's the one phrase we DIDN'T hear when we first came home.
He!! , you didn't want anybody to know you were in the service .
Every time I hear " Thank you for your service " , to me , it's like a Christmas gift .
Old November 11th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Amen Charlie. I still never get tired of hearing that. When I see a young serviceperson (they are all young now) I always tell them "thank you for your service" and mean it. And I am sure as hell not a progressive democrat. I hope that is not too political. If so Eric will just have to delete my post.
Old November 11th, 2019, 05:10 PM

Too true...AND EXACTLY WHY..

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Obviously , you never served in Vietnam .
That's the one phrase we DIDN'T hear when we first came home.
He!! , you didn't want anybody to know you were in the service .
Every time I hear " Thank you for your service " , to me , it's like a Christmas gift .
I detest the waving of the hand and dismissal of any personal responsibility and absolution of sin simply by uttering, "Thank you for your service".
BS!
Oh and my DOE was 12/30/76-so yeah, I was a junior in HS when I enlisted and it all ended before I got in.
It's PARTICULARLY FOR the abhorrent treatment that 'Nam era Vets GOT that pisses me off-the hypocrisy lauded as virtue. MF!!! >:-/
But hey, what do I know?
Old November 11th, 2019, 08:18 PM
Oldscarnut

I feel the same way. "Thanks for your service" means Thank God I didn't have to serve to the liberal knitwit that would rather smoke pot than eat. I accept it from a peer, and if sincere, but to hear it like Gesundheit after a sneeze is totally insulting. To hear it from a draft dodger who spent the 70's in Canada is totally insincere and insulting. I was an MSC stationed at Naval Hospitals and did a tour as CO of a surgical support hospital with the Marines, between wars.
Old November 12th, 2019, 03:40 AM

Communism isn't progress.
Old November 12th, 2019, 06:58 PM

removed glass and cleaned up. next step to cut out the rust.

Old November 13th, 2019, 03:48 AM

I wonder how bad my Cutlass is getting since my neighbor and I pushed my car from the garage into the side yard.
Old November 14th, 2019, 01:44 PM

It's a warm garage today in Asheville NC

I recently picked up a hardly used 35,000 btu propane heater for the garage (24'x24') for a whopping $30 at the pawn shop. Filled a propane tank and in an hour it went from 43 to 60 degrees. Connected the phone to my blue tooth speaker, cracked a cold one and got going. Ah, no place like the garage.
Life is Good,
Steve
Old November 14th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Oldscarnut

Sounds great! Mine stays at about 45 as long as the temps are above freezing, but then there is the constant opening and shutting of doors that keep it falling. I have a little cube ceramic heater (electric) that heats where I am working (usually underneath a car). I seldom need the whole garage to be warm, but it is nice not to ache when I crawl out from trying to heat the concrete with body heat. I hope yours is vented well, because propane is a great gas to put you to sleep without trying very hard, especially when you are nice and warm and relaxed by alcohol! I don't use torches and such but you might want to be careful with those flaming things in a garage heated by gas too
Old November 14th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Oldscarnut

I worry more about the critters that make it home, than rust from sitting. A few of those inside your car can almost total it..including the engine!
Old November 14th, 2019, 05:36 PM

Dropped my '72 Supreme off at the Convention Center tonight for the Coastal Virginia Auto Show..rain tomorrow so waiting wasn't gonna happen. Hope to see a few of ya there!😀
Old November 15th, 2019, 03:42 AM

My Cutlass has mice and rust, that's why it's out in the yard now.
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Oldscarnut

Maybe if you put a Mercury next to the Cutlass, he will end their reign in your car? Cougar, Bobcat, Lynx, or maybe a Buick so the Hawk will dine well!
Old November 16th, 2019, 09:59 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Got the 260 out of the 88 and pushed outside. Now the 70S is in drained the black oil, no doubt from the top end cleaner. The trans had a reasonable amount of clutch material but a lot of metal. It would explain the slippage with the TH350C.
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:10 PM
Oldscarnut

Today for me is several steps forward and 2 steps back. I wonder if I will ever really enjoy and like G Bodies. How long should it take to replace front shocks? I got one off and on in about 2 hours. Tomorrow I will get the 2nd one off faster, but geez louise what junk they built! I had to actually cut off the top. The bottom has a hole smaller than the shock diameter so you have to install it and compress it some and slide it over to bolt on the bolts with spring nuts. That whole set up is about as Mickey Mouse as it gets! I also got the "pre-fabbed" one line fits all transmission lines on. 90 minutes and I do not like how they fit at all. I would like to discuss with the chucklehead that formed them, what he thinks "fit" really means. The were at such weird angles, I'll be adjusting them much more I think once I start the engine. I was going to replace the disc pads, but I can't find the allen wrench for the calipers. It looks like another wrench to buy. The transmission mount holes were apparently stripped out. No bolt of any size would snug down. So...one thing I started I finished. 3 other things I attempted were a swing and a miss. If you read about an El Camino burning beside the road, it is probably mine. What junk GM built in 1980!
Old November 17th, 2019, 01:56 PM

We participated in a funeral procession for a young man who was 14 years old.He lost his life after a 4 year battle with cancer. His last wish was for his funeral procession was to have Super cars, trucks muscle cars and any other cars or trucks that ran. He was a fan of fast and loud cars. This wish was posted on Facebook in Franklin County(Washington Mo.) and it went viral. The procession started at a Six Flags St Louis Mo.,then went to Washington Fairground along Highway 44(30 miles). All cars .motorcycles etc. about 1000 took off in single file. At the Washington Fairground . we met up with close to another 500 plus vehicles. When the young man was leaving the service to go to the cemetery. we had a 30sec moment for revivng our engines for him to hear. It was something to hear. After this we followed the hearse with his family to the cemetery where he will be laid to rest. Normally a 5 minute drive,but took roughly 2 hours to reach the centenary, It was amazing to see the support for him and his family. P.S. On the number of car, I am just guessing. Local news was saying 2500 to 3000 vehicles were expected.

Last edited by bassinguy; November 17th, 2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added number
Old November 17th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Oldscarnut

That is a great but sad story! Great that all the gear heads showed they had hearts. Cancer be damned! It has taken too many family and friends already! I wish someone recorded the 30 seconds, but mics would not do it justice, you had to be there!
Old November 17th, 2019, 07:20 PM

Chuck There are quite a few of recordings,but it was really loud. A 20 something guy behind me by 2 cars had a volkwagen passet revving his engine but could not hear it and boom. There goes an engine. Ooops. Bassinguy
Old November 17th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Oldscarnut

I will search it. Hopefully Passat guy understands he wasn't in a musclecar...and will seek to replace it with American Iron! I will search it and see what I can find and try to attach it.
Old November 20th, 2019, 02:11 PM

It was a beautiful day here in SE VA so I took the hot rod out to get groceries and pick up some paint for the house.

Who says running errands has to be boring?😀
Old November 20th, 2019, 03:48 PM
Oldscarnut

Originally Posted by 72455
It was a beautiful day here in SE VA so I took the hot rod out to get groceries and pick up some paint for the house.

Who says running errands has to be boring?😀
i WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO RUN ERRANDS IN MINE!
Old November 30th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

Put '71 CS on jack stands, removed both rear coils, removed rear upper & lower control arms (both sides). Preparing to replace all w/ new products.
Old November 30th, 2019, 08:02 PM
Oldscarnut

Lowering or OER? It sounds like a nice indoor project and some fun in the Spring! I put the Christmas lights in the house and trees. In so doing I walked by the El Camino 14 times and didn't do a thing. It is too cold to work in the garage this week so I am plotting the next 2 when I have a lot of time off. Next-up, get the power steering pump installed and hoses on; Distributor, starter, radiator and heater hoses, and the rear brake line I nicked. Sounds like a solid 3 days to me!

Last edited by Chuck Cole; November 30th, 2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: More to say
Old November 30th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Running On Empty

OER w/ upgraded aftermarket materials from UMI Performance.
Old November 30th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Oldscarnut

I hope you show some pics In my future is a rear end change that can handle the W31 Torque.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 09:20 PM
Phantom Phixer

Just finished putting my " real ' chrome valve covers on .
Thanks to " The Tin Man" .

Old December 2nd, 2019, 09:33 PM
Oldscarnut

Oldsmobile V-8's have so much class!
Old December 6th, 2019, 09:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Put '71 CS on jack stands, removed both rear coils, removed rear upper & lower control arms (both sides). Preparing to replace all w/ new products.
Both rear UCA differential bushings extracted, new rear UCA differential bushing installed on RH-side, new UMI Performance rear UCA & LCA on RH-side installed finger tight.
Old December 7th, 2019, 10:14 AM

I took my 63 Starfire out of its storage garage home and took it on a 35 mile highway cruise to breakfast. It had been a long time since I had done that but it performed well in every way except gas mileage! Maybe I shouldn't be selling it....

Old December 7th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Oldscarnut

I love the big Starfires! I'm glad to hear it performed well. I hope you don't regret selling it. In almost every way, I regret selling my 442's especially the 67 convertible which was essentially done except for paint. I hope if you sell it, it goes to a lover of them and not someone who will put air bags on it, an LS motor and 20 inch rims! I know,,,,,once its gone it is a crap shoot these days!
Old December 7th, 2019, 05:31 PM

Started my heater core replacement and ac resto/ repair this week. Ac should be easier with the inner fender out for the core. Then on to front brakes And rotors and wheel bearings,and new gauges, cleaning and fixing up the dash, and repainting new to me taillight lenses, Oh yeah and new tranny pan because I can’t tighten mine enough any more to stop Leaking.
pits going to be a productive winter (I hope)
Old December 7th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Oldscarnut

I like winters for projects....Today I listened to MY holiday music. Not one time dd I hear Marah Carey singing "all I want for Christmas is you", and not Jazzed up songs either. Traditional, classic...like my car!
Old December 7th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Both rear UCA differential bushings extracted, new rear UCA differential bushing installed on RH-side, new UMI Performance rear UCA & LCA on RH-side installed finger tight.
Nearly have the rear suspension completed. Installed new rear LH-side UCA differential bushing, installed new rear LH-side UCA & boxed LCA, installed new rear coil springs both sides, re-attached both shock absorbers & installed new solid one inch sway bar. All hardware is either finger-tight or snugged up. Tomorrow I'll torque everything @ ride height. Then, I'll move on to R&R of the front suspension.
Old December 7th, 2019, 08:05 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Don R.
I took my 63 Starfire out of its storage garage home and took it on a 35 mile highway cruise to breakfast. Maybe I shouldn't be selling it....

Now you are starting to think right Don .

Quick Reply: What have you done to your Oldsmobile today