General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What have you done to your Oldsmobile today

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2020, 04:41 PM
69 Ol' Blue

Originally Posted by JonnyO
No offense, mind you. It's just a reminder of my 'PERFECT DAYS'!

Rolled the frame out. Disassembled, sandblasted and painted.

First coat looks great. Waiting 24 hours for second coat.
Old March 5th, 2020, 05:12 PM

Wink Wow. Beautiful! Uh...what car frame is it?

Originally Posted by Doug Carner

Rolled the frame out. Disassembled, sandblasted and painted.

First coat looks great. Waiting 24 hours for second coat.
Old March 6th, 2020, 06:22 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Worked on sanding welds in trunk

Old March 8th, 2020, 04:02 PM

With the back seat out to deal with chassis flex, tried relining the back seat to truck insulation mat. I had some rolls of self adhesive felt, aided by headliner adhesive. Kinda messed up with overspraying said adhesive, hoping it’ll clear up as it cures. If not, who cares? It’s in the trunk. It looks better than holes.

Last edited by dukedkt442; March 8th, 2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old March 8th, 2020, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by KW5413
Replaced rear shocks with Gabriel coil overs. Raised her butt up a bit. A 1-inch increase measured at the wheel well. Like a stripper in stiletto's...Not that I have ever seen a stripper in stilettos mind you...I read it in a book.

The ride is greatly improved and I can make a left hand turn without rolling into the passenger seat.

Saturday, new Bilstein's go up front and new valve cover gaskets. Pretty good leak over the starter and down to the header. Smokes up at a red light and still burns off after parking.
In follow-up...Bilstein's went up front yesterday which raised the old girl about a half inch. I reckon those will settle in a bit. The car handles / rides much better but, still rolls just a tad in the turns. But, pretty happy overall. All of the shocks definitely needed to be replaced.

The valve cover gaskets were a PITA. Had to remove the alternator and A/C compressor to access some bolts.
Old March 9th, 2020, 02:38 PM

Started "spring cleanup"...
Front...

..and rear

Old March 14th, 2020, 03:33 PM
Frank Ignachuck

It's Saturday night and I'm eating my supper by myself in a back room of my house so I can't hear the TV and my wife talking about the virus.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to get up early, fire up the Super 88, pop in a Doo Wop CD and go for a long long drive.

This isn't "What have you done to your Olds today" but rather "What has your Olds done for you today"
Old March 14th, 2020, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by ignachuck
It's Saturday night and I'm eating my supper by myself in a back room of my house so I can't hear the TV and my wife talking about the virus.
Brilliant, I say. A slightly modified form of quarantine. Well done!
Old March 14th, 2020, 04:03 PM

This isn't "What have you done to your Olds today" but rather "What has your Olds done for you today"
I like that.
Mine took me and the wife to the pharmacy, to the grocery store (to buy a gift card, not to join the masses searching for TP and bottled water), then to the post office to drop off some mail.
The weather was perfect, 70 and clear, and the Olds was reading my thoughts and took the long way to each place.
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Forward into the Past

Tomorrow morning I'm going to get up early, fire up the Super 88, pop in a Doo Wop CD and go for a long long drive.

Exactly. Getting out in my Cutlass convertible where I can't hear the voices in my head over the wind in my ears is extremely therapeutic.
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:40 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Firewall and trunk finally got welded in today. Now on to the floor pan.

Old March 14th, 2020, 09:56 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Got a new hood. Now time to make the hood Match the trunk. This hood flew open at the drag strip. It needs repairs, and the fun part will be the custom paint. Which me and my best friend did together on the trunk and we will both be doing on the hood.

Last edited by coppercutlass; March 14th, 2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old March 19th, 2020, 10:06 AM

Installed NOS clock...

not cheap. Oh, well.

Old March 19th, 2020, 10:08 AM

Talking Nice!

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Got a new hood. Now time to make the hood Match the trunk. This hood flew open at the drag strip. It needs repairs, and the fun part will be the custom paint. Which me and my best friend did together on the trunk and we will both be doing on the hood.

Old March 19th, 2020, 03:47 PM
69 Ol' Blue

sorry for the delay. I just saw your post. It's a 1969 442. It's coming along.

Old March 19th, 2020, 04:40 PM
69 Ol' Blue

Body bushings and springs painted.

Old March 19th, 2020, 09:37 PM

Replaced my carpet in my 91 OCC. The only color red that is available is just a little brighter than stock. The installation went well, except for finding the holes for the center seat belt receivers. I tried poking through from under the car, but the carpet would lift instead of the pick going through. I finally used along threaded rod that would stay in place with it poked through the from bottom. I got out from under the car, and cut a hole. The other one was easy to find. The carpet is a little more red than the stock color, but looks nice.

I also made an steering intermediate shaft from inexpensive universal joints I found on ebay, and a couple of cut up OEM shafts.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl; March 29th, 2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added pics
Old March 29th, 2020, 05:46 PM

Installed a new t stat in the Cutlass today after an interesting ride home from work Friday.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 10:31 PM
Oldscarnut

Moving on to the short jobs

Those of you who still accept that my El Camino is a classic Olds because it has a 68 W-31 and TH 350 installed where a breathless V-6, and TH250C used to be may finally see the progress after months of delays and reworks and workarounds. I am literally down to the final hookups, which, if they are like all of the rest of the hook ups will stall me out. What I know is that what is left is little stuff which takes patience and time to get right, but is not stunting. Yesterday I installed the heater core, fan and the a/c delete panel, spliced the wires, and sealed the edge. Today it was about getting the heater core hooked up to the valve on the one side and the water pump to the other. I had to use a heater core that fit, not the one specified for a 68 or 80 Cutlass. They were far too large. The one I got fit a Ford Ranger/Mazda and the outlets were both 5/8" instead of one and the other being 3/4" to the water pump. So I got a brass connector that reduces from 3/4" to 5/8" which I will put at about the front of the carb. The valve is very close and at odd angles to the heater core outlet so I may have to change the angle some by turning the direction it is. The next hookup is the accelerator pedal. Anyone with some tips there is welcome. I have the Buick V-6 cable and springs, I hope to find all the places to tie to and get the springs right from the start. The V6 had a very heavy spring, part of GM's solution to MPG. I basically will be happy if it returns to idle easily and is not an ankle fatiguer. The next hookup is the final hard pipe between the gas line from the tank to the fuel pump pickup line. The El Camino brings the fuel up on the driver's side and I will probably eventually get it on the passenger side, but not now. It will go under the engine at the front, and I will make sure it clears exhaust, fan, and tucks away not to collect anything that can grab it under the car. It may take another day to be sure before I see the flow. That will take me under the car where I have some readjusting to do of trans cooling lines, The next hookup will be the vacuum line to the modulator, then connecting or plugging the remaining vacuum. I have a new speedo cable to install which will take me to the interior where I will install the gauges, and cables to open the heater and move the air around. I refuse to try to figure out the complex vacuum lines to 14 different places. Manual is best. That leaves the starter for Sunday, plug in the alternator, plug in the distributor, hookup the electric choke, install the battery. At this point I will attempt to turn it over only, not start it. Back underneath next weekend to get the temporary exhaust installed. A last once over to make sure the correct fluids are where they are supposed to be and not where they are not supposed to be, and it is cam break in time! Of course, like the last several months, this is all changeable with one little hangup like...a drip or puddle! Now if I can figure out how to video it and record the sound, I may have something to post before I turn 68!
Old April 5th, 2020, 03:58 PM

A friend and i had an antenna party yesterday for our 92 B-bodies, my OCC, and his Caprice. We replaced the broken power antennas. It took about 5 hours to do a 1-2 hour job due to a number of glitches, and errors. We both ended up with good working antennas. He installed a good used one, and I installed a repaired one on mine. We had a good time, and without alcohol. Now I can take mine to the carwash, just have to make sure the antenna is down.
Old April 5th, 2020, 05:33 PM

Haven’t posted here in a bit but had a very productive winter on my 72 cutlass 442 convertible
new heater core and all new seals in the box, new fan resistor,new vent hoses underneath,new ac compressor,drier,condenser, and a few hoses,plus valve etc, new brakes and rotors and bearings, headlight bezels, repainted taillights, new transmission pan, and speedo gear o ring and one other seal I can’t think of right now, new exhaust mufflers back,convertible top weatherstripping, new to me front marker light lenses, new vacuum lines into heat/ac controls so everything now works,new wheels and tires,installed rally pack gauges,plus a few more things I’m definitely forgetting. Finally enjoying driving it again!
still have to fix a broken seat bolt, and passenger side front seat belt locks up as soon as you pull it out, if anyone has any thoughts on that I’d appreciate the help, probably going to do the starter,the interior needs a deep cleaning, and I need to wet sand and buff the paint this spring, whoever painted it should be ashamed. , some more larger things will have to wait until next winters nap also.
like I said overall a very productive winter!
thanks to all the help I’ve received here!
Old April 9th, 2020, 06:27 AM
Recovering Import Driver

Yesterday, I dug under the hood with my trusty CSM to diagnose and hopefully repair the common "high speed blower fan doesn't work" issue.

The P.O. of my car had a "restoration" shop spray the firewall black at some point in time.......of course, with all of the wiring and relays, etc. in place, so good luck identifying any wire by color. Sigh.

Anywho, as suspected, there's an open in the wire between the relay and the junction block; I suspect the fuse, so it's gotta come out. Of course, the fuse is completely seized inside the holder. MAW check the inline fuse holder for the rear window defogger circuit too, also seized. Sigh. Broke the fuse getting the thing apart.

Originality isn't that important to me, certainly not if it comes at the expense of function, so I'll have to snip those out and splice in new ATC/blade style fuse holders, and never worry about it again.
Old April 9th, 2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 72455
Started "spring cleanup"...
Front...

..and rear

what did you use to clean those?
Old April 9th, 2020, 11:19 AM

This... picked it up at Auto Zone

Old April 9th, 2020, 12:07 PM
Oldscarnut

You have to love it when old school experience works on newer generation cars. I have to wobble my head sometimes as I have balance 1968 function with 1980 technology and sometimes have to adapt to what is currently available in the parts bins.. Function is all I need, Mine is far from show quality and even if it were, who would give a dang? I do wish to drive it again before my funeral, and I think this car wants to prolong my life!
Old April 9th, 2020, 03:51 PM

Working on this one for couple weeks... moved under its own power for first time since 1987....
Old April 9th, 2020, 03:55 PM

This one came home this weekend from a year long storage sleep, getting it cleaned up...
Old April 11th, 2020, 08:36 AM

Had my original carb rebuilt by "All American Carb" in NE Florida for my 69 442.
Reinstalled it yesterday and they did a great job, the only thing I needed to do was increase the idle.
Very happy.
Old April 11th, 2020, 08:25 PM
Phantom Phixer

Finished installing my Waldron's stainless steel exhaust system .

Old April 12th, 2020, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Finished installing my Waldron's stainless steel exhaust system .

Not trying to rain on your parade, but are your mufflers installed correctly? Seems to me the fit for the driveshaft is going to be tight.
Old April 12th, 2020, 09:42 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 72455
Not trying to rain on your parade, but are your mufflers installed correctly? Seems to me the fit for the driveshaft is going to be tight.
It is a tight fit but I think it will be OK .
Here's a pic from a 1963 Motor Trend mag , notice how close it is there ?

Old April 12th, 2020, 09:51 AM
Phantom Phixer

Here's another shot ;
Old April 14th, 2020, 03:50 AM
"Trying to fix her right"

What paint did you use for the tail lights?

Originally Posted by Hdmike444

I’m happy with the outcome
Old April 14th, 2020, 02:53 PM

Finally got the time to replace all my door panels. Went from the original “base” painted over panels to some nice PUI cutlass S panels . Pretty happy with the results. https://imgur.com/gallery/Ek3WMBJ
Old April 14th, 2020, 03:05 PM

Here’s a better pic.
Old April 14th, 2020, 06:23 PM

I had a trans mount break, and the tail housing rubbed the crossmember damaging the housing. This caused a leak at the VSS. I had it replaced today, and can finally drive my 91 Custom Cruiser.
Old April 17th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Olds Omega

visited my mate today and we finished the rear bench seat of my Omega - he is a real master in upholstery and this is awesome craftsmenship!

Old April 17th, 2020, 03:09 PM

Looks great!
Old April 17th, 2020, 07:30 PM

That is very nice.

Old April 17th, 2020, 09:08 PM
CP Charm

Cleaned my wheels back and front

Quick Reply: What have you done to your Oldsmobile today