General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What does a #1 to #5 mean in NADA book values

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:06 AM

What does a #1 to #5 mean in NADA book values

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at book values for my 1969 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe and they vary depending on the number value assigned. I've tried googling/search but there's no definitive answer on what each number means. Can someone perhaps explain what each number means as it relates to value or a link to a site that explains.

Thank you very much. Cheers
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM

Well I know that a number 1 car is basically a perfect restored or original car with nothing at all wrong. There are very few number 1 cars in the world! Number 5 is a total project car that needs all kinds of work, money, and parts to bring it back to life.

From the way I understand it, most of the cars you see at cruise nights or local shows are number "3" which is a nice driver quality car with some aftermarket parts and it may not be factory correct but a nice car. A number "2" would be a perfect car to most of us regular car guys.

I know I saw a definition written somewhere that broke it down number by number but I cant remember where it was. Maybe it was in an old Hemming Motor News or something.
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM

morepwr is right on in his descriptions, but there is no single, force-of-law source for what various condition levels mean.

The Old Cars Price Guide uses a 6-number scale with #1 being better than showroom new and #6 being just a parts car. Like the NADA scale, the OCPG says that most cars seen at car shows and cruise-ins are #3 condition, which is a notch below showroom condition (#2). #4 condition is runs and drives but needs total restoration, while #5 condition means it is a non-running car but is restorable and in too good a shape to be considered a parts car.

As far as your specific car, the OCPG lists the following values for the various conditions:

1969 Cutlass S two-door hardtop:

#1: $16,000
#2: $11,200
#3: $7,200
#4: $3,200
#5: $1,920
#6: $640

Keep in mind that these values are very average, and any individual car will have pluses and minuses that will add or subtract value. But these values can give you a rough idea of where the market is.
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM

Thanx guys...appreciate it.