What does this # mean?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:55 PM

What does this # mean?

What does the number behind the water pump/in front of the intake manifold mean exactly? Mine says 395558 2. Someone mentioned a nine diget code on the driver's side of the block at the front (for the Olds 350), but I can't seem to find it (although that part of my block does seem to have some grease that needs to be removed. I was hoping it would be as easy to see/find as the aforementioned seven diget code, but no such luck.

- GoldOlds
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Freedom Fighter

You have found the holy grail (your 7 digit code). You have a 68-70, 350 ci small block.

This link shows the engine codes.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/tech/39.shtml

This one is the 'tech' section of this forum.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/tech/

Enjoy the journey.

FRDMFTR
67' Delta 88 Convert
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sl/f/limit/all
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Senior Moment

Gold..
The VIN will be on a small rectangular boss on the front left SIDE of the block at the point where the head meets the block. The boss is about 1-1/2" long by a little less then a half inch high. The number will be stamped into it on the face thats perpendicular to the ground. I could see mine with the motor in the car, but could not read it untill I pulled it and cleaned the boss with brakeclean and scotchbrite.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Freedom Fighter

Here is a pic from my car (425). Same location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Eng Code-1.jpg (40.6 KB, 18 views)
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Moment

I think he's looking for the vin not the casting #
Someone mentioned a nine diget code on the driver's side of the block at the front (for the Olds 350), but I can't seem to find it (although that part of my block does seem to have some grease that needs to be removed. I was hoping it would be as easy to see/find as the aforementioned seven diget code, but no such luck.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
Freedom Fighter

My bad. I know that the 67 and earlier motors were not tracked with a vin.

Nice 'Cut' by the way.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM

Thanks, Jokers69. I'll see if some degreaser and a digital camera can do the trick.

- GoldOlds
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Senior Moment

My bad. I know that the 67 and earlier motors were not tracked with a vin.

Nice 'Cut' by the way.
no bad.. just a misunderstanding. When I was looking for my vin # pad I had the damndest time, it's tough to see with the power steering pump bracket and the road grime.

Thanks for the nice Cut. I woke it up from a 15 year snooze last summer, it was built by a friend in the mid-late 80's, driven till '91 and taken off the road. After some pestering he sold it to me for my 45th birthday. I made it safe for the road with all new brake componants, the only things I didn't replace were the four backing plates at the wheels, and the power booster. I went through the fuel delivery pipes and hoses, rebuilt the carb, changed the fluids and drove it a couple thousand miles, let it develop seal leaks and I evaluated the rest of the car. Then I put in in the garage and pulled the motor for the new year. Resealed the motor and did a top end, resealed the tranny, which by the way under the dirt and grime was yellow with black stripes and said Fairbanks on the sides.. (I was wondering why the shift points were stout as hell) Now it's up on jack stands with the motor back in, the tranny repainted and ready to go in this weekend. I started the bodywork and hope to spray it before July. The good thing is my wife likes to drive it too, so she doesn't bust my stones when the money gets deflected into the Olds.