General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Welp I bought a new car

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Welp I bought a new car

And it's a Ford.

Im not by any means a Ford guy. I love my GM vehicles, but I got one hell of a deal. I've owned one Ford product, a 1991 Mercury Capri. Anyhow, always had a thing for Thunderbirds. There's one I've been eyeing for quite some time, a 1978 Thunderbird (my favorite bodystyle, the 77-77). It was on Craigslist in early summer for $2900. I talked her down to $1500, and was going to buy it, but then she wanted to hold off for a week, because other people were coming by to look at it for $2500. I understood and bought my 1983 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. She calls back and accepts my offer, but I turned her down, as I just bought a car.

Fast-forward and here i am with a dead Custom Cruiser needing some wheels. After some talking, I got the Thunderbird for $1000. This woman got it from her grandmother and drove it through high school. It's been driven hardly since. Her gma bought it brand new, and it was her first and only car, and naturally was garaged all it's life.

This car is in GREAT shape. the 351M runs smooth, and the car looks sharp. There is a dent in the rear left quarter panel above the wheel where someone backed into it in a parking lot and took off last year. Otherwise, dent free with perfect paint. Vinyl top is great, all original glass. The interior is immaculate, and even has the original AM radio (not stereo) in it. 3-speed automatic, 351M V8 with only 72,000 miles on it, not rolled over either.

But don't worry! I still have two Oldsmobiles. So I can still say I'm a GM guy. There are some really good (but big) pics in the album. Check it out.

EDIT: BTW, it even has working cruise control!
--Ryan
Album: http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...20Thunderbird/
July4th2009LH004.jpg

Last edited by yzzerdd; December 13th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice Thunderbird. Looks like you got a great deal for 1k. My dad used to have a 75 and it was a very good car. Good luck with your new ride.
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Looks like a straight car. Do the hide-away headlights work?

I bet it has the variable venturi carburetor on it. That was automotive technology that should never have been invented.
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Yes, the hideaway headlights work. The doors stay down when they should, open right up, and close back nicely. The car runs and drives like a dream. I haven't had the chance to look, but from what I've read, the Variable Venturi carb was standard. Whats the issue with the carb? The car runs smooth, starts up even cold. The choke works properly, too, couldn't say that about the Custom Cruiser.

IDK what to do with the wagon. I'm going to have to go through ALOT of trouble to properly fix the lines, even as far as dropping the trans. Not worth it to me, for a trans without reverse. Now that I have this car, I'll likely sell the Custom Cruiser. I'd rather have a 70's Vista Cruiser, or even a mid to late 70s Custom Cruiser.

--Ryan
EDIT: Probably a stupid question, but thats what forums are for. The car has an AM push-button radio. That is, there are 5(I think) spring-loaded buttons below the tuner. These buttons tune the radio to a preset station. Now, all the stations mine are set to are still active. So this leads me to believe you can set these buttons to go to the station of your choice, much like a modern radio preset. How does one acheive this? If it's possible, I can't figure it out.

Last edited by yzzerdd; December 15th, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM

LOL...tune the radio to a station you want to set, pull the button out and then push it back in. That will set the new station.
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:00 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by yzzerdd
Yes, the hideaway headlights work. The doors stay down when they should, open right up, and close back nicely. The car runs and drives like a dream. I haven't had the chance to look, but from what I've read, the Variable Venturi carb was standard. Whats the issue with the carb? The car runs smooth, starts up even cold. The choke works properly, too, couldn't say that about the Custom Cruiser.

IDK what to do with the wagon. I'm going to have to go through ALOT of trouble to properly fix the lines, even as far as dropping the trans. Not worth it to me, for a trans without reverse. Now that I have this car, I'll likely sell the Custom Cruiser. I'd rather have a 70's Vista Cruiser, or even a mid to late 70s Custom Cruiser.

--Ryan
EDIT: Probably a stupid question, but thats what forums are for. The car has an AM push-button radio. That is, there are 5(I think) spring-loaded buttons below the tuner. These buttons tune the radio to a preset station. Now, all the stations mine are set to are still active. So this leads me to believe you can set these buttons to go to the station of your choice, much like a modern radio preset. How does one acheive this? If it's possible, I can't figure it out.

You make me feel old.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Captain of my ship

I used to have them and they should be hollowed out on the underside with a little lip so you can grab them with 2 fingers , one on top and one underneath.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM

The variable venturi carburetor was a step between standard carburetion and thorttle body injection. From my understanding Ford only used it in the late 70s. Everything I've heard about variable venturi carburetors has been negative. I know, I've never seen Holley and Edelbrock making aftermarket variable venturi carburetors.
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
LOL...tune the radio to a station you want to set, pull the button out and then push it back in. That will set the new station.

LMAOROTF

Yes us ole Pharts remember how to do some things.
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Registered

Low mileage and all that and no owner's' manual in the glove department??

When I was a kid my siblings and I used to play with those buttons while waiting in the wagon at grocery store for my mom while she was shopping.

I've spent years sitting in or around cars in parking lots it seems?

My mom would come back to the car and would always miraculously know we were messing with those buttons???... we always pushed them back in when we were done playing to cover our butts because we had orders never to go in the front seat???

After she started screaming that we messed up the radio or whatever we did and always then insisted we didn't do a thing she would reach in the back seat, while driving, and start blindly flailing away hoping to catch somebody, we would scatter and hit the floormats.
Then she would get really mad and slam on the brakes right in the middle of traffic, throw it in park, and crawl halfway across the back of the front seat while the wagon was still bouncing from the nose dive stop and start smacking away, us screaming and trying to avoid her wrath like scared monkeys.
I swear she would say "Hold still so I can smack you!" and a few other choice words after it.
Lucky she was always seven months pregnant or she could of stretched farther and gotten to the little ones hiding behind the groceries in the way back.
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Cutlass Lover

That takes me back!!! LOL! There was always a strap kept over the drivers side sunvisor... easier to reach us with in the back seat!!!
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM

When I was a kid my siblings and I used to play with those buttons while waiting in the wagon at grocery store for my mom while she was shopping.
OMG! I can't believe your mother left you in the wagon while at the grocery store. No wonder you turned out the way you did!
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Olds64
OMG! I can't believe your mother left you in the wagon while at the grocery store. No wonder you turned out the way you did!
You mother and I left you in the car all the time and look how you turned out!
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM

I got a "Bolo Bouncer" every Christmas. When the rubber band broke [in about a week] my mother took it over as her side arm. and child persuader
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I got a "Bolo Bouncer" every Christmas. When the rubber band broke [in about a week] my mother took it over as her side arm. and child persuader
You too! Nice to know I wasn't alone on this one. One of my moms favorites.
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM

You mother and I left you in the car all the time and look how you turned out!
At least the car you left me in was an Oldsmobile.

Maybe that is how I inherited the gene.
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Cutlass Lover

You guys are funny!!!!!
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM

LOL ya'll crack me up.

I got the radio stations set! Thanks! Now I can go almost instantly from Dave Ramsey to all sorts of other talk radio stations. No music on the AM bands around here. In WV, there were all kinds of music.

I'm kindof thinking about getting an AM band transmitter and amplifying it. I can get an AM transmitter for $40, that is able to be used without FCC license. Hook up a big amplified antennae, and I might be able to broadcast out a few miles. That way, before I leave, I could just play a large playlist on the AM band, and have music wherever I go in the area! Option 2 is to buy the transmitter and get an adapter for it to plug up into the cigarrette lighter. Then, with only a small antennae, it'd broadcast for 1/4 mile.

I havent had a problem with the VV carb yet, except in the mornings, but the problem is unrelated to the carb. This is my first car with a mechanical fuel pump. The Olds Custom Cruiser was supposed to have one, but instead someone rigged an electric fuel pump to be powered off the radio. So I could just let the pump run to prime the carb. Well, in the mornings with this Ford, I have to crank on it for awhile before it starts. It was below freezing this morning. I guess the only thing I could do is prime it by pouring gas down the intake.

--Ryan
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Low mileage and all that and no owner's' manual in the glove department??

I've spent years sitting in or around cars in parking lots it seems?

My mom would come back to the car and would always miraculously know we were messing with those buttons???... we always pushed them back in when we were done playing to cover our butts because we had orders never to go in the front seat???

After she started screaming that we messed up the radio or whatever we did and always then insisted we didn't do a thing she would reach in the back seat, while driving, and start blindly flailing away hoping to catch somebody, we would scatter and hit the floormats.
Then she would get really mad and slam on the brakes right in the middle of traffic, throw it in park, and crawl halfway across the back of the front seat while the wagon was still bouncing from the nose dive stop and start smacking away, us screaming and trying to avoid her wrath like scared monkeys.
I swear she would say "Hold still so I can smack you!" and a few other choice words after it.
Lucky she was always seven months pregnant or she could of stretched farther and gotten to the little ones hiding behind the groceries in the way back.
My dad used to do that from time to time and usually scored a hit but once when my mom got really mad at my brother and I fighting in the back seat she tried that while driving and the next we knew we were in the ditch. man did we catch hell from dad.
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Cutlass Lover

I bet you did!! LOL!
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Option 2 is to buy the transmitter and get an adapter for it to plug up into the cigarrette lighter.
This would be preferable to the first option. A friend of mine in college had a small transmitter that allowed him to tune to a preset station to listen to his CD player that ran off of a plug in and was broadcast through the small transmitter. It worked ok. IMHO, it is better to buy a new AM/FM radio and CD player and install it in the glove box. You can get one for about $60 at Wal Mart. You can even find the "old style" ones with ***** at Best Buy for a bit more.
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Wow. I'm surprised I didn't think to just install one in the glove box. Although, I would rather spend more and put in an era-correct FM/AM radio that will fit in the same slot as the AM radio. But maybe I'll change my mind after I check out what Best Buy has.

--Ryan
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Loosen air cleaner nut( do not remove) ...

Put gas in the indent around nut ...

the carb will suck it down and run enough to prime carb ...
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM

The VV carb has plastic slides that warp. Slides not closed= no choke in the morning= hard starting. The mileage is pretty bad with them too.
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Well it should seem my car does NOT have the variable venturi, but instead a Motorcraft standard 2-bbl carb. Been running nicely.

I have discovered an oddity in the car. Seems I cannot find a decent Ford site with much traffic to the older Ford sedans (plenty for trucks though), I shall hope someone here knows the answer. The AC/Heat control has a bunch of hoses going to it. One of them I notice has a clear connector adjoining it with another hose, and I see a reddish brown fluid inside. It has a slight leak, which I noticed as there is some residue on my floor mat. This fluid leaves a residue like coolant, but doesn't look like coolant.

At first I thought my heater core had a leak, but now it seems like it is coming from this plastic tube. Any ideas? The tubing seems to control the flow of air to different vents. In my experience, this is usually done by vaccuum. Any ideas? Was Ford at this time using a hydraulic system of sorts?

--Ryan
Old December 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by yzzerdd
Well it should seem my car does NOT have the variable venturi, but instead a Motorcraft standard 2-bbl carb. Been running nicely.

I have discovered an oddity in the car. Seems I cannot find a decent Ford site with much traffic to the older Ford sedans (plenty for trucks though), I shall hope someone here knows the answer. The AC/Heat control has a bunch of hoses going to it. One of them I notice has a clear connector adjoining it with another hose, and I see a reddish brown fluid inside. It has a slight leak, which I noticed as there is some residue on my floor mat. This fluid leaves a residue like coolant, but doesn't look like coolant.

At first I thought my heater core had a leak, but now it seems like it is coming from this plastic tube. Any ideas? The tubing seems to control the flow of air to different vents. In my experience, this is usually done by vaccuum. Any ideas? Was Ford at this time using a hydraulic system of sorts?

--Ryan
Take the fluid and rub it between your fingers ...

If it is hydraulic or other oil it should feel a little sticky ...

Oh yeh, smell it ...
Old December 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM

I really like those Thunderbirds and Cougars as well. I remember seeing the one they had in Charlie's Angels...LOL. I thought it was so cool!
Old December 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Do you have db rr, if you ever see a Lincoln Versaille it has a db rr ...

Last edited by mugzilla; December 27th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM

db rr? You lost me there.

The fluid kindof smells like transmission fluid. Looks like it too, but thinner. Leaves a residue that a dry cloth wont pick up. Every single line going to the AC/heater control has this fluid. When I turn the AC/heat on or off, I get the sound of rushing fluid right from that spot. It just makes zero sense to me why this fluid is here and how the system works with the fluid. The shop manual says nothing about it. Nor does the Internet.

--Ryan
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Now this is almost as absurd as BLINKER FLUID.

I figured out the issue. The vacuum modulator MUST have a leaky diaphragm. This allowed for transmission fluid to be sucked up the vacuum tree. Most of the fluid is harmlessly burnt off after being sucked into the intake manifold, but some of it, through the years, made its way into the vacuum system of the heater/ac control, as well as the vacuums for the doors in the ductwork. Which explains the slurping I hear when I turn the heater on or off, or otherwise redirect airflow to a different vent.

So it should seem I need to replace the vacuum modulator. Then go through and blow the trans fluid out of the vacuum lines. Seems all the vacuum-controlled devices still work(even cruise!), I think I might actually be able to suck the fluid out, using a hand pump.

--Ryan
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
is Fast Enough ...

probably lubed everything nicely ...