General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

VIN / Caster location Cutlass 1971

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:55 AM

VIN / Caster location Cutlass 1971

Hi there.
Today after two years of restoration of my cutlass i finally went to the car inspection so i can drive legally. But the inspektion person didnt approved because he could not find the VIN/Chassi number in the frame. Does anybodu here know where on the frame the VIN number is castered? The VIN number is 3368716123786

Thanks
Old June 11th, 2015, 01:08 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, so...

- Main VIN is on plate in dashboard in left front corner visible through the windshield

- Original engine would have part of the VIN stamped on left front of block on pad kinda below the head number/letter.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-location.html

- Some frames have VIN (or part of VIN) stamped in frame in various places. Most common seems to be left rear wheel area.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...locations.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ped-frame.html
Old June 11th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Rodney

Protect-o-plate

The VIN numbers may also be found on the Protect-o-plate sticker in the drivers side door jamb (if you car still has it). They are often removed or painted over during a new paint job. Just one more place to look.
Old June 11th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Randy C.

I had the same problem as you in Washington State, of all places, but was finally able to convince the inspectors that the VIN on the frame was not accessible. What is actually stamped on the frame is called a "VIN derivative" (basically an abbreviated VIN) but it is in such a location that the body would have to be removed from the frame to read it. The VIN derivative is also stamped in two other places on your car: (1) on the engine block (on a raised pad on the driver/left side of the engine block just below #1 cylinder and it is hard to access because of a bracket for the power steering pump) and (2) on your transmission on the driver/left side of the transmission housing.

You say your VIN is 3368716123786. I'm guessing here a bit, but if you look closely, I believe your VIN is really 336871G123786. The "G" tells you where your car was assembled, and that would be Framingham, Massachusetts, USA.

The VIN derivative stamped on your frame, engine block and transmission housing will be 31G123786.

Sure hope you can convince the inspectors!

Randy C.
Old June 11th, 2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
....but it is in such a location that the body would have to be removed from the frame to read it.
Not necessarily true. I'm sure the location varied from year to year and from assembly plant to plant. But on my 1970 Lansing-built 442 the stamp is on the SIDE of the frame rail under the driver's door, just a little ahead of the back edge of the door. It is easily visible with nothing more than a flashlight. Of course, this will depend on how much rust your frame has or had.
Old June 11th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

This issue comes up a lot, usually from owners trying to register their cars outside the U.S. What these inspectors don't understand is that there is only ONE full VIN stamped on U.S. cars of this vintage - the one on the VIN tag. The number on the frame is a VIN derivative, as noted above. This VIN derivative is not intended for registration purposes, and if the frame has been replaced, it won't match the VIN on the tag. Same thing goes for the VIN derivatives on the block and transmission.
Old February 20th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Old Olds Fanatic

VIN question

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This issue comes up a lot, usually from owners trying to register their cars outside the U.S. What these inspectors don't understand is that there is only ONE full VIN stamped on U.S. cars of this vintage - the one on the VIN tag. The number on the frame is a VIN derivative, as noted above. This VIN derivative is not intended for registration purposes, and if the frame has been replaced, it won't match the VIN on the tag. Same thing goes for the VIN derivatives on the block and transmission.
Joe,

Is there a place on the body beside the VIN tag, ID under the windshield and sticker on the door that the VIN or derivative is stamped on the body shell? Also I noticed in various places on the body that panels and the door posts forward of the door that there are 2 and 4 letters numbers stamped into the sheetmetal. What are they for? I had a Chevelle guy come by my shop and point them out to me. He said in that world (Chevelle) those numbers are important in establishing if the body is original. I hadn't seen anything on it, but I have a lot to learn.

Thanks,

Ben