Changing caster.....

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2015, 01:57 PM

Changing caster.....

Ok I’ll be the first to admit, I’m weak on alignment knowledge.My 63 Cutlass is not near as steady at speed on the freeway as my 70 convert. After some Google searches and reading the factory service manual, I realized that a little more positive caster might counteract the “wandering” that the car has. The manual states that removing a .030 shim from the front bolt only of each control arm will increase caster by 1/2 a degree. Easy enough I thought, if it doesn’t help I’ll just put them back in. So I open the hood, took a look at the passenger side control arm shaft and find there are no shims installed at all.The drivers side has a couple of shims installed front and back.My question,Instead of removingshims from the front (since there aren’t any on that one side) can I add to the rear of that one control arm instead, on that one side, or will that change the camber?And how many degrees change are normally needed before you can notice the change in driveability?
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Administrator

No, if you add shims to the rear it will effect your camber. I would take it to a good alignment shop familiar with older cars, not one of the franchised places. It's well worth the $50 to see what it's set to now and to correct it properly. Is the front end in good shape?
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:31 PM

You can't make a camber or caster adjustment without affecting toe. It would be best to get the full thing done.
Old February 18th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Justin

X2 to the above statements as well as you need to add and subtract shims front to back togeather as the seem to affect each other's readings. I've done a few of these styles and it's well worth to call to several shops and techs and explain what your goals are. I had my customer come in on a sat a few hrs from closing time so I could spend my time with it
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:22 PM

the front end is in very good shape, steering linkage & gearbox are tight, ball joints good, previous owner obviously really went overboard on pumping the grease in every fitting he could see and there are many, been cleaning excess grease off for quite a while....I was hoping not to have it taken to an alignment shop, most don't even have the shims any more and they keep bringing up 4 wheel alignment, not needed for a 52 year old Olds! will have to ask around for a place that knows the older cars.....
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
the front end is in very good shape, steering linkage & gearbox are tight, ball joints good, previous owner obviously really went overboard on pumping the grease in every fitting he could see and there are many, been cleaning excess grease off for quite a while....I was hoping not to have it taken to an alignment shop, most don't even have the shims any more and they keep bringing up 4 wheel alignment, not needed for a 52 year old Olds! will have to ask around for a place that knows the older cars.....
Well most shops figure, if you put the cameras on four wheels it's a four wheel alignment even, if the front is the only thing they adjust. They can still give you an idea if your rear end needs work , bushings bent links or axle! As a tech, I would charge a four wheel too it's cheaper then by the hr as your still getting the better deal. most alignments these days take 15 min not two hrs as some this style have to do them correct

Last edited by oldstata; February 18th, 2015 at 05:31 PM.