General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

is it true these cars are part of a dying breed

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2014 | 04:51 PM

jaunty75 Nice article, I agree with you shouldn't buy a car as an investment (it's almost never profitable) But, rather because you like them. And I think there will always be lots of people collecting older cars, tough as you are saying some governments and politicians are trying to stop the old car hobbie (allways dem politicians trying to ruin everything for everybody!). I think people that are passionate about cars will stand up against them so that they can continue their hobbie and preserve automobile history. Which is exactly what has happened in many euopean countries the last 30-50 years.

Here in Norway it has allways been difficult to be a petrol head, there has allways been redicolus high taxes on cars and stupid rules and regulations that doesn't make sense and are only there for greed and controlling people. But in 1984 the Norwegian Automobile Assosiation (NAF) and American Car Club Of Norway (AMCAR) stood up against the automobile injustice in Norway and got the veteran rule passed, which allows for cars 30 years or older to be exempt for alot of the high fees and taxes that are required to import and get plates on a car over here. A huge break though for the car fanatic. And it made it possible for me 30 years later to go to America, buy and ship my beautiful 76 Cutlass over to my garage in Norway reasonably

Also I know lots and lots of young people who have a love for older cars, and quite alot of young people work on cars, I myself am 21 and my brother who is 30 helps me with everything on my Cutlass, togheter with no mechanical education, just my brothers knowledge of having worked with tens of cars have rebuilt the transmission, changed to double exhaust, sanded, painted and fixed the rear end and lots of other minor fixes on the Cutlass and we just love working on it!

I hope you Americans don't mind us Euopeans taking a few of your cars, you have so many of them! And we take good care of them, I promise I do!

Also if you knew how much it cost to buy or import a new car here you would've been shocked! O.o
Old March 4th, 2014 | 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Christheviking
jaunty75 Nice article, I agree with you shouldn't buy a car as an investment
Remember, I didn't write this, I just copied it from a posting over at stationwagonforums.com, where someone had copied it from Car and Driver. But I do pretty much agree with everything it says.
Old March 8th, 2014 | 07:15 PM
Kjr442

Thank you for working with me on this starr88, I will get it picked up asap.
Old March 8th, 2014 | 07:25 PM
Administrator

Did it find a home?
Old March 8th, 2014 | 07:30 PM
Kjr442

Yes I found his add on Craig's list a long time ago. At the time , I was having a hard time coming up with the extra cash. I had no idea at that time he was a member.
I love the car, and James was good to work with.
Old March 8th, 2014 | 07:40 PM
Administrator

Cool!
Old March 9th, 2014 | 10:20 PM

Sweet! Love the look...Starfire without some of the excess (to me) chrome...