General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

a true barn find

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Registered Luser

Awesome Eric...glad to hear it! Good things happen to good people!
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Just to update.... as of today I have sold enough to be paid off and debt free to all this. 2012 has been a tough year with lots of ups and downs. New management job at work, buying/rebuilding the jetfire, buying this guy out, getting it all home, light fixing of cars to sell, selling loads of parts, worrying about the mortgage on my parents house.......
Time for some R&R!!!!!!
Eric, Good News! I'm glad you survived the past year, got your bills paid and wound up with some fun stuff you can keep

John
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Congrats....
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:02 PM

Congrats Eric!!!! Now on to the next barn find
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:43 AM

so what do you have left , and what is for sale from that?
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:03 PM

I have 2 Cars and lots of parts left. Just need to list stuff.
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just to update.... as of today I have sold enough to be paid off and debt free to all this.
Congrats Eric! I know how you've been busting your hump to get out from under all that load. Good news on the job promo too!

Old January 19th, 2013, 06:06 PM

I just stumbled on this and read it from start to finish; I couldn't stop reading until I got to the end. Excellent find and I got a real good feeling knowing that you got a good deal without screwing your family or the seller.
Thanks for the story.
P.S. makes me think what else is lurking in some barns out there!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:49 PM

Glad things turned out well for you Eric. I know firsthand that 2012 was a not so good year. Hope you get the time to sink your teeth into one of your new project's and please know if you have any questions about any 1970 stuff don't hesitate to contact me at all.

STeve
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM

Just to update.... as of today I have sold enough to be paid off and debt free to all this. 2012 has been a tough year with lots of ups and downs. New management job at work, buying/rebuilding the jetfire, buying this guy out, getting it all home, light fixing of cars to sell, selling loads of parts, worrying about the mortgage on my parents house.......
Time for some R&R!!!!!!

Congrats, and does this mean from here on parts are free - put me on the list for any of them then

What happened to the 71 blue convertible, I lost track, what a gorgeous car!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:46 PM

It went to a guy in Indianapolis. I drove it about 200 miles and people were going nuts over it. It had a couple issues that needed addressed but for the most part it was a real nice car.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and support this past year.
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:57 PM
NôôB

Any updates on this collection and the parts sir? Was telling a buddy about it and enjoying the pictures
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Nothing much to update. I sold the W-27 like i mentioned in your thread. I sure wish i had it but just couldn't turn down the offer. That is why i got my parents mortgage paid off. Also why i am starting on restoring the W-30 this year. I still have both W-30s and lots of parts. I am almost sure i can completely restore my W-30 with what i make from the left over parts. In the end, I should have a documented 70 442 W-30 restored with $0.00 in it. If you count the hours in buying the guy out, getting it all home, selling it all off, boxing & shipping, restoring the W-30,.... The amount of time invested into a free car is going to be huge. It sure will be worth it. I had, am having, and will continue to have a ball doing all the work.

On another note, I know where there are three more barns at
One the size of this one, another with five 66 Toronado's in it, and another with three 62 Starfires in it.

Last edited by jensenracing77; March 20th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:58 PM
NôôB

Wait til i get some money saved up before you crack into that first one . Still kicking myself that i didnt have the money for one of your OAI hoods.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:30 AM

God I would love to find something like that! I have a short list of parts to see if you have them and how much.....1970 passenger front fender, ashtray insert, , trunk lid, and rear bumper with exhaust cutouts? Please send me a message. If prices are manageable I'd gladly make the drive from Rochester ,NY to pick up what is available. Most interested in rear bumper and trunk lid for 70 holiday coupe. Thanks!and good luck with those W30's ! Hell I'd even come out just to take the tour. That's what I'd call treasure!
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:02 PM

Just an update...

This car is now sold. After listing it on eBay and Craigslist several times I just couldn't get what the parts were worth out of it. Each time I listed it I lowered the price but had replaced parts with standard parts. In the end, I had most all the 442 parts removed and cutlass parts installed. It sold today and headed to Bowling Green KY. We will deliver it in the morning.

Only car left is my Blue W-30 that I am restoring. I still have piles of parts left from this find but starting to run out of the real good stuff.

I had hopped to completly pay for the restoration the blue W-30 with what I get from the leftover cars and parts after the loan was paid off. It looks like I will be very close to doing that. I will likely have to use just a little from other Olds related investments to finish it. In the end, The finished blue W-30 will be what i gained from this deal. When it comes down to it, it was all worth it because of how fun it was/is. BUT if you count my hours involved I could have made as much at work. The was MUCH more fun though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_5586.jpg (122.1 KB, 145 views)
Old December 1st, 2014, 11:28 AM

I just got word thet the guy I got all this from passed away last march. I tried to email him a couple times over the summer but never got a reply. I didn't think to much of it at first because he was always having computer problems. here lately i started getting concerned. I just talked to his wife and she told me. His name was Larry Conn and was an incredible machinist and fabricator. All summer I wanted to get up there to see him and had no idea. He had me buy him out because of health reasons but would never talk about it. He was always there and never seemed to get any worse so i just thought he was going to be ok. I wanted to get our picture together with these cars when we got them from the barn but he didn't want his picture taken. He changed my life forever and will always remember him.

Back when he wanted me to buy him out he wanted $80,000 for everything he had. After thinking it through There were two reasons I couldn't do this. One I could not get that much money and two, At that time I did not think I could make enough from it to justify that amount. After thinking about it for 3 weeks I told him that I would hook him up with some other people because There was no way I could come up with that kind of money. He ask what I could come up with and I said I would not even tell him because it would be an insult. He talked me into telling him what I could do, he thought for a little while and then said "lets do it". My first thought was "OH CRAP, WHAT HAVE I JUST DONE!" 2012 was a real rough rear for me and not sure I would do it again but now that it is over I am glad I did it. So sorry to hear about him gone. When it is all over i will have sank ALL my profits from this barn find into my W-30. In the end, this entire endevor will have been to accuire a restored 70 442 W-30 with zero money in it. If I spent that same amount of time at work I could have avoided all this and just paid for the car, lol. This was MUCH more fun!

I will never forget you Larry Conn!
Old December 1st, 2014, 12:48 PM
Runner

This has been a great read from the start. Thanks for posting this and some pictures to go along with it.
Old December 1st, 2014, 01:03 PM

He changed my life forever and will always remember him.
Eric, good things come to good people, The fact that you will always remember him, and spread word of him to others etc etc is a reward Money Just can't buy, who ever speaks fondly of Leona Helmsley? right Who?

Your a good man, and I am sure larry is smiling down at you today..
Old December 1st, 2014, 02:20 PM

Sad to hear about the former owner. If it were me, I'd have to have some sort of momento in the car with his name on it as a reminder of him and where the car came from. It would never have been possible without your hard efforts and his giving you a great deal.
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:28 PM

I just got word thet the guy I got all this from passed away last march. I tried to email him a couple times over the summer but never got a reply. I didn't think to much of it at first because he was always having computer problems. here lately i started getting concerned. I just talked to his wife and she told me. His name was Larry Conn and was an incredible machinist and fabricator. All summer I wanted to get up there to see him and had no idea. He had me buy him out because of health reasons but would never talk about it. He was always there and never seemed to get any worse so i just thought he was going to be ok. I wanted to get our picture together with these cars when we got them from the barn but he didn't want his picture taken. He changed my life forever and will always remember him.

Back when he wanted me to buy him out he wanted $80,000 for everything he had. After thinking it through There were two reasons I couldn't do this. One I could not get that much money and two, At that time I did not think I could make enough from it to justify that amount. After thinking about it for 3 weeks I told him that I would hook him up with some other people because There was no way I could come up with that kind of money. He ask what I could come up with and I said I would not even tell him because it would be an insult. He talked me into telling him what I could do, he thought for a little while and then said "lets do it". My first thought was "OH CRAP, WHAT HAVE I JUST DONE!" 2012 was a real rough rear for me and not sure I would do it again but now that it is over I am glad I did it. So sorry to hear about him gone. When it is all over i will have sank ALL my profits from this barn find into my W-30. In the end, this entire endevor will have been to accuire a restored 70 442 W-30 with zero money in it. If I spent that same amount of time at work I could have avoided all this and just paid for the car, lol. This was MUCH more fun!

Great Story !!! He obviously wanted the cars and parts to go to a good home with someone who would appreciate them and spread them out to the others who would also appreciate them. Doesn't sound like the transaction was actually about the money to him. RIP Larry Conn.
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks for the update, Eric, and I'm very sorry to hear of Mr. Conn's passing.

Sounds like he was a good guy.

- Eric
Old July 3rd, 2015, 07:44 PM

I just visited Larry's wife today. I drove the 442 up there and showed it to her. She was a little surprised that it was one of the cars from the barn. Larry made a stainless steel ring with an Oldsmobile logo in it. I ask her if she thought about letting it go and that I would be interested in it since he made it. She said she did not remember that one but will look for it. I sure hope I can buy it from her.

Adding a couple pictures to complete the thread.

Hard to believe it was just over 4 years ago that I started this thread.
Attached Images
DSCN2731.JPG (837.2 KB, 141 views)
DSCN2722.JPG (813.6 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by jensenracing77; July 3rd, 2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:07 PM

Way cool to bring it back to the original owner. Wish I could do the same.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:27 PM
same but different

It just keeps getting better after all this time. Enjoyed this thread a great deal. Nice to see it come around.

You did good.
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:54 PM

Found this video a couple day ago, I had forgot that I recorded it. I recorded this just after I got everything from this barn find home. I loaded it to YouTube and thought I would post it here. I hope to sell the W-30 this year and that will bring this thread to its conclusion. Other than the W-30 I don't have much left from this find, an OAI hood, red inner fenders, an OAI air cleaner setup, some engines and some small parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBm3j6QBTys
Old January 22nd, 2017, 03:32 AM

Cool video!
Old July 17th, 2017, 01:47 PM

I wanted to update this thread also, I have sold the last car from this "find of a lifetime"...
Has been a very long road with this deal and I am close the the end. I still have some things left that I was hanging onto till after the car sold and may still hang onto but other than that I mostly only have some engine stuff left. The good stuff I have left that I may keep are red inners, OAI hood, OAI air cleaner, rust free doors, and some chrome parts.

All this was possible because of Larry Conn. Turned into a great friend and is missed. I sure wish you could have seen the car finished Larry!
Attached Images
IMGP3140.JPG (2.66 MB, 60 views)
IMGP3124.JPG (2.50 MB, 58 views)
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:17 PM

Congratulations Eric! I'm sure the car is going to a good home!
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:24 PM

I was on my way home of the H/O gathering at Ron Memmer's house today and was in the area of where Larry Conn lived. I decided to stop in to see his widow and found new owners of the house living there. Turns out that she had passed away last year. Sure wish I could have seen her again. RIP Mr and Mrs Conn.