General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trouble pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:42 PM

Trouble pumping gas

I have trouble pumping gas. half the gas stations I go to the pump nozzle wont fit in my 75 supreme. Today I was pumping gas and the nozzle got jammed and it took me a good 8 minutes to get it out! I was about to just drive off with the whole damn nozzle i was so mad!!!

Im guessing they dont make pumps like they used to, or is it a problem with just my car? Any idea on how to remedy this? is there an adaptor that can extend the fuel hole a few inches?
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by truthautomatic
I have trouble pumping gas. half the gas stations I go to the pump nozzle wont fit in my 75 supreme. Today I was pumping gas and the nozzle got jammed and it took me a good 8 minutes to get it out! I was about to just drive off with the whole damn nozzle i was so mad!!!

Im guessing they dont make pumps like they used to, or is it a problem with just my car? Any idea on how to remedy this? is there an adaptor that can extend the fuel hole a few inches?
An extension adapter to make it easier to to put fluids down a hole is called a funnel.
I've never heard of any deal to extend the neck but there could be some gadget around like that, check J.C. Whitney.

There isn't one of those springs people would put inside the filler neck to keep other people from siphoning gas out is there? Around the gas shortage times when it was new, now they just punch a hole in the plastic tanks to steal the gas.
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM

I've never had trouble pumping gas before. Do you live in an area that uses the rubber nozzle cover on the gas pump that prevents HC from escaping? If so then maybe this is interfering with the gas tank filler neck on your car...
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:54 AM

I have trouble pumping gas. half the gas stations I go to the pump nozzle wont fit in my 75 supreme.
I don't know anything about your history with this car, so forgive me if these are dumb questions, but have you looked carefully around the filler neck to see if it isn't damaged? 1975 was the first year that cars were required to use unleaded gas, but there were still many cars around from earlier years, obviously, that used leaded, and leaded gas was always a few cents cheaper per gallon. To prevent people from trying to put leaded fuel in a car requiring unleaded, the filler nozzles for the unleaded pumps were (and are) smaller in diameter. There was a fitting over the end of the filler neck on 1975 (and later) cars that would only allow the smaller diameter, unleaded pump nozzle to be inserted.

Some people, not wanting to have to pay the higher price for unleaded, would knock this fitting out or punch through it so that the larger nozzle would fit. Perhaps your car has some vestige of this damage, and some piece of bent metal is causing the nozzle to hang up when you pull it out. Clearly, the nozzle should fit in and slide out as easy as anything. If yours is not, I would take a close look at the filler neck to see what's grabbing it.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I looked pretty closely at the whole area and it doesnt seem like theres any damage, the only issue is the neck is around 3-4 inches too short. And yes Olds64, we have the vapor covers on the pumps here, which seems to be the issue. Ill be looking for something to extend the neck as i dont think i can stick a pump into a funnel...
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM

I've had trouble pouring gasoline into my tank from a newly designed red plastic gas can. I had to use a length of rubber heater hose put over the nozzle of the gas can to pour it into the tank.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM
is Fast Enough ...

I will pull the boot back manually if I'm having problems ...

I find some stations have nozzles that work with my car, and I go to those ...
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I remember back in the day the parts stores sold a little plactic thing to put on the end of the leaded nozzle which was bigger so you could put leaded gas in the smaller inlet on the 75 and later cars. They also sold a bolt in pipe that was advertised as a test pipe to see if you needed a new catalytic converter. I also remember when they yanked those babies off the shelf. I actually put one one my 78 Delta.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
An extension adapter to make it easier to to put fluids down a hole is called a funnel.
I've never heard of any deal to extend the neck but there could be some gadget around like that, check J.C. Whitney.

There isn't one of those springs people would put inside the filler neck to keep other people from siphoning gas out is there? Around the gas shortage times when it was new, now they just punch a hole in the plastic tanks to steal the gas.

Yep check for that spring as mentioned above. My tank has one and if the nozzle goes in at a certain angle or in to far it jambs and is a pain to pull out.
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I remember back in the day the parts stores sold a little plactic thing to put on the end of the leaded nozzle which was bigger so you could put leaded gas in the smaller inlet on the 75 and later cars.
I remember these, too, and, if I'm not mistaken, they were illegal as it was illegal to put leaded gas into a car that required unleaded as doing so would destroy the catalytic converter. Illegal or not, it didn't stop people from doing it. I was surprised that those adapters could even legally be sold, but I did see them.

Last edited by jaunty75; March 16th, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Napa used to sell the nozzle adapters.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

They were probably sold under the pretense of being used in an emergency. I may still have one in one of my junk boxes. It would be of no use today but a novel item to ask somebody what it was used for.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
They were probably sold under the pretense of being used in an emergency.
This was all a marketing thing. I read once that it actually cost the refiners MORE money to make leaded than unleaded because gasoline as refined does not contain lead (tetraethyllead). It has to be added later. So this meant that unleaded fuel should have cost LESS than leaded. But it cost more simply because of marketing and the belief that the consumer would accept a higher price for it because it was some special, "new" kind of gasoline that is needed for cars to help the environment. IF the price of unleaded had been set based on what it actually cost to produce it, it would have cost the same as or more likely less than leaded, and there never would have been an incentive for people to try to put leaded fuel in their requires-unleaded-only car.
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Past Administrator

....the only issue is the neck is around 3-4 inches too short...

Perhaps the tank was worked on or replaced in the past and it isn't mounted correctly or isn't an exact match for your car so the neck seems shorter than it should be. Get up under the back of the car and take a peek to see if something looks out of place or out of alignment. It could be a simple fix of re-positioning the tank or tightening the straps.