General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

72 cutlass trouble starting after getting gas

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2014, 02:42 PM

72 cutlass trouble starting after getting gas

ok so my 1972 cutlass runs and drives fine when ever i start it up but as soon as i go to the gas station and fill up or put any amount of gas into it, it wont start unless i shake the hell out of my car and turn it on at the same time. i can get it started sometimes by pumping the gas as im turning it on and once its on reving it or it will shut off. any thoughts? its embarrassing as hell rolling up to the gas station in a nice looking cutlass and then having to do this
Old December 6th, 2014, 06:38 PM
same but different

Is this the only time this happens, when you get gas?

I'm puzzled. I can only throw a couple of things out there, see if they stick.

Flooded. Try holding the ecelerator to the floor next time, see what happens.

Gas cap. Vented vs. non vented.

Fuel pump or maybe the dreaded broken wire in the primary coil?

Any new work on the car that has been done recently? Any more details might help if can add them.
Old December 6th, 2014, 06:52 PM

Putting gas in may be stirring up grunge and debri from the bottom of the tank, clogging the fuel sender pick up filter sock. Is it the original tank? Perhaps it needs to be cleaned out. Its a PITA but it may do you good to pull the tank and clean it or have it cleaned. Back flush the gas line from the pump to the tank after the tank is out. The sending unit filter sock maybe gone from age and the corn gas we have now. There available if you need one. Thats all I can think of if it only happens when you get gas, check your rubber lines to from the tank to the steel line for cracks, could be sucking air. And up front steel line to pump.
Old December 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM

yes this only happens when i get any amount of gas, fill up or just a gallon. any other time it starts up right away. yes if i slam on the gas pedal and time it right it will start and i have to rev it for a second but if i miss this the first try, im screwed for awhile and usually need someone shaking it while i turn it on.i recently found a leak in my fuel line but i replaced it. also from what i can tell the last owner changed the fuel line so it dosent go through the evap charcoal canister or what ever its called.
It looks like the orginal tank, i guess on my day off i will drop the tank and do a cleaning. strange thing right?
Old December 7th, 2014, 04:43 PM

If it was crud in the tank I can't see shaking the car helping. But just in case, maybe buy a cheap hand pump, insert the tube into the tank so that it's resting in the lowest part of the tank, and pump some fuel into a clean glass jar. I would think that would show you if it's dirty. Could it be the gauge shorting something out?
Old December 7th, 2014, 04:47 PM

Or gas dripping on a wire maybe?