General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A trip to Virginia just to take Dad for a ride in "My Father's Oldsmobile"

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2016, 08:51 AM

A trip to Virginia just to take Dad for a ride in "My Father's Oldsmobile"

The red 67 442 in my signature of each post is a car my Dad and I bought in 1979 when I was home on leave from the Navy. I was stationed on a ship in Japan. The car was wrecked in the left quarter like it had slide into a post or pole or something. It was in pretty sad shape. But it did run and drive. Home was in Sandy Oregon a small town just southwest of Portland. We bought the car in Vancouver Washington which is just the other side of the Columbia River from Portland. So from their to Dad's was about a 25 mile drive. On the way home the factory 4 piston caliper disc brakes went out. So, I drove it home on the back roads using the emergency brake. Not a fun ride for sure. When we got it home we looked it over hard and decided to take a long time to restore it. (neither one of us thought it would take as long as it did) Dad had a 67 442 brand new and it was gold. He always wanted this one to be Gold as well. I never liked that color on them, but wanted him to be happy. My first one was tahoe turquise and that is the original color of this car. The car was torn apart and I returned to Japan. A few years later I returned back home for a short leave. Dad had a guy cut the left quarter off my first car and put it on the convertible during that time. The car sat like that, with pretty much nothing done as I started a family and life went on until about 1998. Dad's life had taken some big changes and he moved to Virginia. He took the convertible and a large Penske truck of spare parts with him. By then we together had owned some 12 or so Oldsmobiles. In 05 or 06 I went back to see him and there it sat in his garage still looking just like it had when he moved from Oregon. He was stumped as to what to do. He was one of the best carpenters you ever saw. But, was not a mechanic. He just loved the car. His health was not the greatest. Age was starting to takes it's toll on him. I thought about this long and hard and had a long talk with my wife at the time about me coming to get the car to restore it. We decided that is what I was going to do. So, it took about 5 or 6 months to get everything planned. I made the journey from Oregon to Virginia in April 07. It took us two days to load everything up and when done we could not move the trailer. It had dropped down to the fenders. So, we cut them off. Made fenders out of plywood and what was left of the ones on it.

I owned a local regional freight company then and had room at our terminal to store the car while I made a game plan to restore it. I also had a two post rack and it was on it for about 2 months as I cleaned and painted the underside of the car. This car had a very rough early 12 years of it's life and since then has been stored inside so it was very rust free and solid.

I quickly realized I needed a shop at home to get this car done. Plus I had a few other Oldsmobiles at the time. So, I had a 40 x 40 shop built. for the next several years Dad would come to visit for a few weeks at a time and we would spend the time doing some hunting which we both love and working on the car. I sold my freight business in September of 2011 and the plan was to retire and just play with Oldsmobiles and some other cars. Dad was here when I sold the business and we were at the point of just doing some body and prepaint work to the car. It was looking like we would have it done by the next summer.

But, life has it's twists and turns as we all learn as we get older. In January of 2012 Dad suffered a major stroke. I went to Virginia to see him and ended up spending over a month with him as he was in rehab trying to walk and talk and regain use of his left side. His house was far from handicap accessible so I also worked to make it so he could come home. The odds then were he would be limited to a walker or wheel chair pretty much for the rest of his life. Then when I got home I realized I was sick myself. I had worked so much with him and spent so much time with him in the hospital it looked like I caught something being in and out of the hospital day after day with him. Well I kept getting worse and in May of 2012 I was diagnosed with a bone marrow disease. The next year was a major roller coaster to say the least. I did not work on the car I just worked on getting me better. After about 8 months my body started to respond well to treatments and I resumed working on the car.

We had planned on painting the car Gold like Dad wanted all along and when he was here in 2010 he asked me if I liked the Gold. I was honest and said no I don't care for that color but the car was about our history not about me. He asked me what I would paint it. I always liked the Red that we ended up painting the car. So, he said you know you are the one doing the work and you will end up with the car so paint it the way you want. So, that is how it came to be the red that it is. ( nope not original and I don't care)

So, in 2012-2013 the car was painted, the bumpers rechromed, the trim all polished and on and on. I got the car done and went through a divorce and my now ex-wife tried to take it from us. The judge saw through that. I would say we got the car done in 2013 for the most part. It keeps getting some upgrades or changes here and there. I think they all do over time.

So, My health has now improved enough to make a long road trip. Dad's is not doing well and I know he will never make another trip here and he has never ever even been for a ride in the car. So, in a couple of weeks I am going to load it on the trailer and take it to Virginia just to take Dad for a drive. He and I are very excited. I will post pictures and updates after I return. It will be a long few weeks that I am so looking forward to.

I just thought you all would like to know the story. Hope it was not boring. My Dad will be 82 years old in August and I can't think of a better father's day and birthday present to give him.

Attached is a picture of it on the journey back to Oregon.

What is your Olds story??

Larry
Attached Images
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Larry,

That's an amazing story and it is very obvious that you and your dad have a very close relationship. That you have the means and are able to make the trip and have that ride with you dad is priceless. Have a great trip and make memories after all in the end that's all we have

Pat
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Great story Larry. I hope you have a great trip and are able to make some more fond memories with your Dad! Best Regards.
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:34 PM

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of times spent with my dad before he passed. Have a safe trip and enjoy.
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Wonderful story and gesture. Take pictures....
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:55 PM

Awesome story and enjoy ever second of the drive. My dad is with me in my heart ever day I get the chance to drive one of my classics ., but my son is riding shotgun and will hopefully carry on the drive . Looking foward to photos
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:48 PM

Great story, where in Va. are you traveling to? Would love to meet ya'll and see the car.
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Olds Fever

Larry, not enough can be said about a great relationship with a father... Enjoy all the time you can to make some great memories...
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Senior Moment Member

Yep, enjoy your Dad. Mine passed when I was 35. What I wouldn't pay for an afternoon drive with him. You're a lucky man. Enjoy while you can!
Old May 28th, 2016, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
What is your Olds story??

Larry
My parents gave me my great aunt's 68 Cutlass Supreme as my first car in 1978. I wrecked it in less than two years. I was never very proud of that and I always said I'd find another to restore. My dad wasn't a car guy but he loved his 87 Mustang convertible, His health was never very good and I never expected him to live to see the day I finished my 442. In 2011 I trailered my car home to go to my 30th high school reunion and it was the first time he saw it. He passed away in 2013

Old May 28th, 2016, 07:18 AM

I will be going to Virginia Beach.

Would love to see anyone who wants to.
Old May 28th, 2016, 11:53 AM

Have a good trip Larry!
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Old School Olds

Drive safe and looking forward to pics Larry. Do enjoy your time with your Dad.
Old May 28th, 2016, 02:22 PM

What days will you be in Virginia Beach? I'm not sure I'll be in town but if I am I'll make time to meetup.
Old May 28th, 2016, 04:41 PM

Cool story, bro. Mine similar, but nowhere near as dramatic. Seeing the old man's reaction is priceless.
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:48 PM

A very touching and telling story. Hope all the best for your Dad and you. For some unknown reason, the '66 and '67 Oldsmobile's always look good in red.
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:17 PM

WOW what a great story I cant wait to here the next chapter and see some pictures. The relationship you and your dad share is priceless...enjoy every minuet of it! I am quite sure that car ride will be the best ride either of you has ever had.
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:23 AM

I should be in Virginia Beach June 25-28 The trip is taking on a whole new perspective now. I might also drive up to New York and see some family and then stop in Iowa to see a friend I was in the navy with oh so many years ago.
Old May 30th, 2016, 08:17 AM

As I am getting closer to the trip date, we are making some changes to the itinerary, I have family in New York and will be stopping there for a few days to visit as well. This will be in the Hudson River Valley area (Warwick, New York) My Mom is there and My Uncle who I grew up with some, is into street rods. He currently has a 41 Ford Convertible and a 50 Merc that he owned when I was a teenager. He owned the 32 Ford that was on the cover of the Beach Boys Little Deuce Coupe album for about 35 years. We just made plans for me to see him for a few days and then on the way home I am stopping to see someone who was my closest friend when I was in the Navy and stationed in Japan about 38 years ago. That will be great!

If anyone is in any of the areas I am going would love to meet up for a cup of coffee or what ever. I will have my 67 convertible on the trailer. I would drive it but this is just too long of a trip and having a large truck to set up like a home away from home helps a bunch. I will be unloading it and driving it where ever I go.

I am getting very excited for this trip.

Larry
Old July 9th, 2016, 07:18 AM

I am back from the trip. Wow what a great trip. Dad loved going for rides in the convertible. Saw old friends and family and it was just great

Was asked a few times if I would sell the convertible and the answer is Yes but more than likely no body would pay me what I would take for it.

I put on just under 6600 miles in 15 days.

Wow I am tired.
Old July 9th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

What a great story! Thanks for sharing.
I lost my cool over the divorce part...... Thankfully it was settled the way it should have been.
Hope you took some pics, especially of your dad smiling while riding in the car.
Old July 10th, 2016, 12:12 PM
344879M363895

Just read through this. Sounds like the trip was well worth it. I bet you are so glad you did it. Were you able to meet up with anyone from CO?